Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:30 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,942,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
If you are concerned about our welfare, and like I stated forest for the tree's
you should be very concerned about this. The link will help you on why I said
China.
China Investment An Open Book?, 60 Minutes: Sovereign-Wealth Fund's President Promises Transparency - CBS News
Look, we are concerned about this issue - BUT - this is the immigration forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:49 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Like I said in another post, if you were born here, you missed all opportunites
and opted for a low skilled way of life, for these reason you have to compete with peolple with no education, and likely more motivated than you.
I'm sick of listening to the whining from people that have nothing going for them except that they are white.
I hired a local contractor for some work at my home, the guy was ripping
me off and the job quality sucked, I then fired these bumsand hired a crew of guys from Ecuador, they finished the job ahead of time with great quality
and for almost half the price.
I have no sympathy for these people that think they have the right to rip you off just because they are white, from now on I only hire migrant workers.
So, apparently, you don't mind breaking the law?

And, how dare you tell someone they "opted for a low skilled way of life"? First of all it is NOT low-skilled work. Second of all, we all do different things, and we need people to do all sorts of jobs. What's your point?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This is an example of the "cultural differences" I've always harped on. Traditional middle-class American culture is VERY reluctant to engage in riots..or even in noisy street demonstrations. In middle-class culture, these things are looked down on and regarded as 'childish', 'shameful' and 'boorish'. Those Americans who DO this stuff are regarded as "silly" by most middle-class people.

The fact that 'the 'silent majority' isn't out there rioting in the streets and throwing rocks, punching each other, and burning things, should NOT be taken as a sign that they don't CARE. They're plenty 'mad', but that just isn't their 'style'.
Exactly! These "rioters" are seen as just a bunch of animals - it adds to the dislike of them, along with carrying Mexican flags. We write our congressmen and senators, call the White House, sign petitions, educate our fellow Americans, etc. etc.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,481,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This is PRECISELY what I was referring to, in my post above....the fact that an increasing segment of our society--(and let's face it, ALL of us are 'our society') aren't trying to be 'annoying' to us 'codgers'...the fact is, that they really, truly, and honestly have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

After 30 or 35 years of "America is bad...America is the biggest source of the world's misery....America is racist...America is xenophobic....America 'invited 9-11 to happen', because of its arrogance'....America abuses, marginalizes, and mistreats its immigrants"..... etc etc etc etc, ...These folks have never heard anything BUT this.

Think about it, OldTex....the only thing 'patriotic' some folks have ever heard in their entire young LIVES, is the disjointed babbling of a few backwoods rustics, military types, "conspiracy nuts', racist 'wackos', or simple, clueless 'farm folks' who still watch Lawrence Welk re-runs.. Otherwise, NOTHING.

Even the harmless, non-violent, unarmed old "Minutemen" are now regarded, SERIOUSLY, as a bunch of hate-filled, dangerous 'racists" out to "do harm" to those who "bypass the border formalities" while excercising their "right to find a job"....And these 'kids' (some of them middle-aged), believe this stuff largely, because, one is forced to conclude, they've never SEEN "real" racism, or "real" hate...

If any single force could be said to be "the death of this country", it would not be violence or aggression. Those can be contained. What WILL destroy this nation is nothing more 'exotic' than an overwhelming, misplaced sense of self-loathing, guilt, and Political Correctness. That alone, if it isn't controlled soon, will 'do the job" that no invading enermy could do.
Excellent post.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM

451 posts, read 311,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
So, apparently, you don't mind breaking the law?

And, how dare you tell someone they "opted for a low skilled way of life"? First of all it is NOT low-skilled work. Second of all, we all do different things, and we need people to do all sorts of jobs. What's your point?
low skilled jobs: laborers, painters, carpentry, plumbing, electrician etc.

high skilled: rocket scientists, lawyers, physicians, computer engineers, etc

Difference: low skilled do not even need to read or write

Old 04-07-2008, 03:17 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:

Really? Electricians, plumbers, carpenters don't need to read or write? Laborers don't need to be literate, but the good ones are.....after all they need to be able to read to get materials, look and and understand a blueprint.

I hope for your sake the people who wired, plumbed and built your house for you were literate, otherwise .......

Old 04-07-2008, 03:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:

Pardon me?

With the possible exception of laborers; all of the above need to be literate.

If you prefer to hire illiterate illegals to do your plumbing, electrical, etc. and if there is a fire, etc. on your property due to their negligence-----------you could have a massive lawsuit on your hands.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,481,325 times
Quote:

Good lord, electricians don't need to know how to read? Or painters, carpenters or plumbers? How are they supposed to figure out how much paint or wood to buy or what pipe to connect to another if they are so poorly educated that they do not know how to read? Or write!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Good lord, electricians don't need to know how to read? Or painters, carpenters or plumbers? How are they supposed to figure out how much paint or wood to buy or what pipe to connect to another if they are so poorly educated that they do not know how to read? Or write!
Consider the source.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:50 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,095,360 times
Quote:

I have had several pieces of beautiful furniture made in Mexico for much less than it would be in the US. It was beautiful and very well made. I have made a lot of friends there and so have many of my friends that live here in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration