Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM

273 posts, read 250,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
Funny thing is ......yet we have no idea what diseases the illegals who are working in our slaughterhouses may have................

I'll tell you as the spouse of a doctor:
In order of prevalence-
1)Hepititis C
2)Herpes
3)TB
4)AIDS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 AM

24,908 posts, read 39,339,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
NOT if it is used for an EMPLOYEE, which is defined under state and federal statutes. When it is used that way, knowingly, it is for the purpose of defrauding the State and US government, as well as the employee.

It is used by many crooked employers as a way to lower costs.

In my situation, I was clearly an employee under any "test" the government applied, and the state Labor Board agreed, which is more like a civil decision. The penalty would have to be taken up by the district attorney, who, to date doesn't have the manpower.
If you apply to work for me, and you sign an independent contractor agreement - you are just that.

In that independent contractor agreement we can agree as to what your duties are. That ICA can specify the number of hours you are expected to work. The ICA can state the time periods of the day the work is to be done (i.e. 8 to 5).

Just because an employer has independent contractors does not mean they are "crooked" - not by any means.

And, once again, even absent an ICA, no employer is legally obligated to provide benefits such as vacation or medical etc.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 AM

36,823 posts, read 31,102,861 times
Quote:
There are many jobs in the US that require fluency in a foreign language.
And they are?
Certainly not the jobs available for the majority of citizens. Well, not until recently as everone is expected to learn Spanish because we cant hurt the illegals feelings by actually expecting them to learn English.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 AM

334 posts, read 829,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If you apply to work for me, and you sign an independent contractor agreement - you are just that.

In that independent contractor agreement we can agree as to what your duties are. That ICA can specify the number of hours you are expected to work. The ICA can state the time periods of the day the work is to be done (i.e. 8 to 5).

Just because an employer has independent contractors does not mean they are "crooked" - not by any means.

And, once again, even absent an ICA, no employer is legally obligated to provide benefits such as vacation or medical etc.
Of course there are legitimate Independent Contractors and Emloyers, didn't mean to imply otherwise, HOWEVER, what determines an employee vs "independent contractor" is not a piece of paper between the employer and his "worker" -- it is the actions taken and required. You'd better know the difference (I assume you do) because IF you tell me I have to work an 8 hour day AND tell me It is 8 - 5, you just made me an employee, irregardless of any "agreement" which just became invalid.

And there are required benefits, such as worker's compensation insurance, unemployment insurance . . .

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM

24,908 posts, read 39,339,280 times
Quote:
Of course there are legitimate Independent Contractors and Emloyers, didn't mean to imply otherwise, HOWEVER, what determines an employee vs "independent contractor" is not a piece of paper between the employer and his "worker" -- it is the actions taken and required. You'd better know the difference (I assume you do) because IF you tell me I have to work an 8 hour day AND tell me It is 8 - 5, you just made me an employee, irregardless of any "agreement" which just became invalid.

And there are required benefits, such as worker's compensation insurance, unemployment insurance . . .
Ah you better study the IRS rules re ICA - I can tell you the work has to be done during certain hours -

And Workers comp and UHI, while paid by the employer are not "benefits" is the strictest sense -

I was CLEARLY referring to Vacation, sick leave, health insurance, retirement benefits and so on - no employer is legally required to do this by LAW - Contract - Maybe. Law? No

Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ah you better study the IRS rules re ICA - I can tell you the work has to be done during certain hours -

And Workers comp and UHI, while paid by the employer are not "benefits" is the strictest sense -

I was CLEARLY referring to Vacation, sick leave, health insurance, retirement benefits and so on - no employer is legally required to do this by LAW - Contract - Maybe. Law? No
The example was between 8 - 5 AND an 8 hour day, which tells me to be there at 8:00 (1 hour lunch entitlement) and to leave at 5. Of course, that's only a minor point, and I DO know the IRS requirements and test. And MAYBE you could slip by if that was your only indiscretion . . . .

And WC and unemployment ARE benefits . . . you pay for them for your employees, right?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,603,261 times
Pilgrim's Pride statement in response to raids.

Pilgrim's Pride Issues Statement in Response to U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement Action at Five Company Facilities

Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Well, aren't they just Sweethearts! And you believe what ??????

Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,603,261 times
Quote:
Well, aren't they just Sweethearts! And you believe what ??????
I merely posted their statement. I did not offer an opinion pro or con. Did I?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,981,604 times
Pilgrims Pride's statement is a copout if I ever read one. With that many illegals working at their plants they were hard up for bodies to work that Americans do not care for money or no money. It is inconceivable that they hired people who did not speak English if at all. What about filling out application forms in English. The type of clothes they wear are of of mexico style. I am American and I wear clothes that identify me as such. In Mexico City and here in Baja I still stand out as American in appearance. It is no different with them. It is their culture. A person going to another country be it Legal or Illegal is still going to dress as they always do. It is a RED flag. I personally do not feel sorry for them (Pride) as they knew the consequences if caught. Gosh, wonder if they supply KFC? Stefhen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration