Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
As an African-American, It is my strong opinion that African-Americans should not fall for the bait of taking a nativist stance; a philosophy rooted in white supremacy. The notion of "country first" is highly problematic, on a whole lot of levels, with a lot of evidence.

And the notion of "they'll take our jobs" was preached to whites against African-Americans in the 30s through 60s coming to the north. Now, a faction, with the same rhetoric, wants to say to African-Americans, "the immigrants will take your jobs," and use the word "illegal" to legitimize their view! That word is a cover!
Putting your own country and its citizens first is not a negative thing. How is that some kind of negative bait for black Americans since they are just as much Americans as any other race? This has nothing to do with white supremacy as our country consists of all races.

Illegal aliens ARE taking American jobs from Americans of all races. How can you possibly think otherwise? How is using the lawful immigration term for them a cover? A cover for what? Aren't black Americans supposed to be for the rule of law also? Seems like you have a chip on your shoulder and you are defending illegal aliens just because they are minorities just like you. There is so much wrong with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 12:05 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
As an African-American, It is my strong opinion that African-Americans should not fall for the bait of taking a nativist stance; a philosophy rooted in white supremacy. The notion of "country first" is highly problematic, on a whole lot of levels, with a lot of evidence.

And the notion of "they'll take our jobs" was preached to whites against African-Americans in the 30s through 60s coming to the north. Now, a faction, with the same rhetoric, wants to say to African-Americans, "the immigrants will take your jobs," and use the word "illegal" to legitimize their view! That word is a cover!
What is "nativist" and "a philosophy rooted in white supremacy" have to do with expecting those who come here to do so in accordance with our immigration laws? "White supremacy"? Haven't you noticed the numbers of immigrants and illegal aliens (yes, they are illegal aliens if they either sneaked across the border or overstayed a visa) that aren't white?

Illegal aliens, no matter where in the world they come from, all have one thing in common --- they all have no business being here, let alone working and they all need to leave. Period.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:08 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:

The word "illegal" is not a cover for anything. Illegal is illegal and those who come to this country without following the rules of immigration are ILLEGAL and they hurt whites, blacks and LEGAL immigrants from every country. I have seen it first hand when I worked in an area that had a large Brazilian community. They were hard working people but some of them were illegal. I knew an immigrant from Brazil, he had his own business that gave other guys jobs, he loved America and became a citizen, he bought a house and then other guys that were illegally in the country undercut his business to the point where he lost it all and had to move back to Brazil. I knew a white guy that was forced to move from his home to another part of the country due to his jobs being undercut by illegal aliens. The depression he felt led him to hang himself.

I don't see the benefit to letting in millions of people who's first act was to break our immigration laws. Don't we have enough people to do the jobs? Don't we have enough problems with poor people that are under employed and on welfare? Isn't America worth protecting from hordes of people that sneak in to take advantage of our gullible generosity and the political games the Dems are playing with them?

Of course the shouts of "they will take our jobs" is as old as the protests that happened at Ellis island as millions of people arrived there from Ireland and other European countries and it all somehow worked out partly because there were different rules in place then for an immigrant to have a marketable skill, have money to take care of themselves or have a sponsor so they would not become a burden on the state.

I do believe that America is worth protecting, worth safe guarding for the future and that is not racist at all. For some reason the Dems think that Trump is racist but his MAGA is for every citizen and LEGAL immigrant alike.

So what is the answer? Do we open the border? Do we hand amnesty to the 20 million plus that are now here illegally and then when there is trouble and people lose their jobs etc etc.. who can we blame? The knee jerk reaction is Trump the very guy that is trying to do something about this problem.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:04 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
And correct me if I'm wrong, but DACA is geared toward folk brought here, as children; who basically grew up as Americans. It's one thing if the adult parents who made the choice to come here, illegally, were deported. But I don't know if I can support a policy that deports children who came involuntarily, and basically grew up as American citizens.

And I still say, focus on the employers breaking the law, as well as on immigrants.....and show proof of enforcement!

Old 12-07-2019, 04:22 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
And correct me if I'm wrong, but DACA is geared toward folk brought here, as children; who basically grew up as Americans. It's one thing if the adult parents who made the choice to come here, illegally, were deported. But I don't know if I can support a policy that deports children who came involuntarily, and basically grew up as American citizens.

And I still say, focus on the employers breaking the law, as well as on immigrants.....and show proof of enforcement!
Just because their parents managed to drag them across our border illegally is no reason to allow them to remain here. They need to go back to their own countries along with their law breaking parents (family unseparated). They didn't grow up as American citizens as that requires citizenship papers. If we don't deport them it sets a presidence that all you have to do is drag your kids across the border illegally and they will be home free. It will encourage more parents to do so. Most of them aren't kids anymore anyway and once they reached the age of 18 1/2 they became responsible for their own status in our country which made them illegal aliens themselves.

We need to focus on both the employers and the illegal aliens (not immigrants) themselves as they are both equally guilty of breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration