Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,759,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We have always had white-collar and blue-collar jobs. This is not a new phenomenon. Blue-collar and low-skilled workers should not be forced to compete against illegal aliens, period. Nor, should they be forced to accept ‘slave’ wages sustainable only by those living 15-20 per house.

Are you suggesting low-skilled workers should simply relinquish their jobs to illegal aliens, and enroll in classes to learn ‘new’ skills? In other words; U.S. citizens should not even expect to work in low-skilled construction jobs, hospitality, landscaping; or any job currently dominated by illegal aliens.

Many low-skilled workers may need to learn new skills in response to the surge in outsourcing; in particular, manufacturing jobs. However, the availability of cheap illegal labor should not even be a factor.
Im not sayign that at all. Im saying that America is becoming more white collar as time goes on. With major corporations moving their factories to foreign countries, there just isn't going to be many of those jobs that don't require much skill and yet support the wife and 2.5 kids.

I think Americans have a lot of options as far as doing a little better than landscaping, being restaurant cooks, valets, etc.

My dad for instance dropped out of high school and joined the army where he got his ged. A smart man, but not what you would call advantaged in the job market.
Regardless of not having higher education, he's not bussing tables at a Denny's. He's a power plant operator. He took the time to learn the skill, and is making decent money for it.
I think an American should get a job before an illegal immigrant. But how many americans are really going for those jobs?
Americans have a way to do better.

And unless they have a handicap or disability of some sort, I feel those who are living off welfare just don't have the desire to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 PM

769 posts, read 2,235,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Im not sayign that at all. Im saying that America is becoming more white collar as time goes on. With major corporations moving their factories to foreign countries, there just isn't going to be many of those jobs that don't require much skill and yet support the wife and 2.5 kids.

I think Americans have a lot of options as far as doing a little better than landscaping, being restaurant cooks, valets, etc.

My dad for instance dropped out of high school and joined the army where he got his ged. A smart man, but not what you would call advantaged in the job market.
Regardless of not having higher education, he's not bussing tables at a Denny's. He's a power plant operator. He took the time to learn the skill, and is making decent money for it.
I think an American should get a job before an illegal immigrant. But how many americans are really going for those jobs?
Americans have a way to do better.

And unless they have a handicap or disability of some sort, I feel those who are living off welfare just don't have the desire to work.
Dude, there once was a time when I was going for those jobs. I used to go into places like TGIF Friday's or Olive Garden to be a busser and never get called back. I also applied to be a dishwasher and nothing happened. Finally, I just gave up because I knew they were going for cheaper labor. That argument about Americans not going for these jobs is TOTAL BULL! I wish I could look at you in the face and say that. But I have to content myself with telling you this over the internet.

I wouldn't have minded bussing tables or washing dishes or cooking. Work is work. But, unfortunately, I was asking for too much. So they never even called me back. And how about at the fast food restaurants. Last year one of my neighbors teenage girls got fired from McDonalds. A few weeks later all her high school friends had been fired from McDonalds. A month after that she went in there to eat and the teenagers had been replaced by Mexicans. I went in there and saw it myself. It was strange because that place had once been staffed by teenagers and now all the people were Mexican and they had mariachi music playing over the speakers.

I was also looking for a job as a painter and I didn't get it. Paco did.

So yes, Americans do want these jobs. Don't give me that bogus crap about how Americans don't want these jobs. Do you think Americans like the idea of being overlooked for an illegal immigrant when it comes to finding work? Heck no!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Dude, there once was a time when I was going for those jobs. I used to go into places like TGIF Friday's or Olive Garden to be a busser and never get called back. I also applied to be a dishwasher and nothing happened. Finally, I just gave up because I knew they were going for cheaper labor. That argument about Americans not going for these jobs is TOTAL BULL! I wish I could look at you in the face and say that. But I have to content myself with telling you this over the internet.

I wouldn't have minded bussing tables or washing dishes or cooking. Work is work. But, unfortunately, I was asking for too much. So they never even called me back. And how about at the fast food restaurants. Last year one of my neighbors teenage girls got fired from McDonalds. A few weeks later all her high school friends had been fired from McDonalds. A month after that she went in there to eat and the teenagers had been replaced by Mexicans. I went in there and saw it myself. It was strange because that place had once been staffed by teenagers and now all the people were Mexican and they had mariachi music playing over the speakers.

I was also looking for a job as a painter and I didn't get it. Paco did.

So yes, Americans do want these jobs. Don't give me that bogus crap about how Americans don't want these jobs. Do you think Americans like the idea of being overlooked for an illegal immigrant when it comes to finding work? Heck no!
Chain restaurants like TGIF and Olive Garden have to pay minimum wage. They are not paying Mexicans less money.
I work at a restaurant like those, and it just so happens that the people in the back happen to be Mexicans and the people front Americans. And its not because teenagers aren't applying for the cook jobs and the dish jobs..its just that many prefer to work in the front where they work less hours, make good money, and have it a lot easier.

I have seen white American dudes work as cooks. We all used to joke around with him. fact is, he didn't want to be in the front, so he applied for a job in the back and got it.

Just because your'e not getting hired doesn't mean its because a Mexican is taking your job. If a place is full to capacity, its going to be full to capacity. No matter what the nationality of the people working there.

Sounds like youre getting frustrated, and blaming it on illegals because you cant get a job. Thats why people say, if you want to get a job, you have to do 10 applications a day.

And if your friends got fired, and replaced by immigrants, why don't they sue? You cant just be fired for no reason.

I know how it works in restaurants. Ive been there for years. You've never been hired to know whats its like, so you just assume they're all immigrants making below minimum wage.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Chain restaurants like TGIF and Olive Garden have to pay minimum wage. They are not paying Mexicans less money.
I work at a restaurant like those, and it just so happens that the people in the back happen to be Mexicans and the people front Americans. And its not because teenagers aren't applying for the cook jobs and the dish jobs..its just that many prefer to work in the front where they work less hours, make good money, and have it a lot easier.

I have seen white American dudes work as cooks. We all used to joke around with him. fact is, he didn't want to be in the front, so he applied for a job in the back and got it.

Just because your'e not getting hired doesn't mean its because a Mexican is taking your job. If a place is full to capacity, its going to be full to capacity. No matter what the nationality of the people working there.

Sounds like youre getting frustrated, and blaming it on illegals because you cant get a job. Thats why people say, if you want to get a job, you have to do 10 applications a day.

And if your friends got fired, and replaced by immigrants, why don't they sue? You cant just be fired for no reason.

I know how it works in restaurants. Ive been there for years. You've never been hired to know whats its like, so you just assume they're all immigrants making below minimum wage.
1. You asked, "Are Americans even going for these jobs?" I answered you. And you even gave my answer more proof by exposing that there are American cooks.
2. I don't know why the teens do not sue. It is their business. Maybe if they sued it would turn into a race thing rather an issue on immigration.
3. Yes, companies are specifically looking for people who can be paid less. In the case of fast food, maintanence, and construction especially they are looking for cheaper labor.

Your argument that Americans do not want these jobs is ludicrous. Do you really think that every American looks at these jobs as being for subhumans and beneath us? That's not true. Work is work. There are 30 million illegal immigrants and the companies are looking for cheap labor. Who do you think they are going to choose to hire: Juan, who can be paid cheaply and with little benefits, or me, who wants my American benefits and a decent wage?

Do the math, man.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM

And another thing I'd like to point out , amc760, is your bogus post. In your response to Benicar you said:
"I think an American should get a job before an illegal immigrant. But how many Americans are actually going for these jobs?"

When I pointed out to you that me, and several other Americans, were actually going for these jobs you were quick to answer your own question:
"I've seen American dudes work as cooks. We all joked around him. fact is, he didn't want to be in the front, so he applied for a job in the back and got it."

So, I guess you do know how many Americans are applying for these jobs, huh? Good job of contradicting yourself and proving that you're lying.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:34 PM

259 posts, read 790,098 times

To the OP; There has always been a high population of Spanish Speakers in America, certain locations like South Florida, New York City, Southern Cal, and Texas for example. I guess you could call all of those people knowing Spanish "enablers".

Fact is to get a good job here you need to know English. So if the persons job doesn't require that they speak English, their family doesn't speak English at home, and speaking English is not a law, is there a reason to speak English?

Why are you worried about it?
Are you mad because you had to learn English to get a better job?
Is it hard listening to "[moderator cut: foreign language]" for a split second?
Do you want to talk to Spanish Speakers and have a conversation with them in English, get to know them? Have you tried?
Many do speak English you know, enough to get around.

Many 1st generation immigrants do not know English, but 2nd generations will learn it, I have posted a chart(somewhere here) Spanish Speakers are not that far behind Italians, Chinese when it comes to generations it takes to speak English

I have nothing against people speaking their native language to each other while in this country. I do the same thing. My problem is people who lived here for many years hardly can make them self understood around English speaking people. That is most of the times because of refusal to learn. They don't want to learn. No, it is not a law. You don't have to know English to live here but you will always be looked at as another immigrant that can't speak English. I lived in Germany for 2 years. When I first got there I knew that Germans don't speak very much English, especially the older generation. So I had a German-English travel-word book and to make myself understood. I know that a a lot or maybe most of the Spanish speaking people in this country also are fluent in English, I am not talking about those people. And no, I am not mad that I had to learn English to get a better job. If you call working at the Army Base PX a better job. I just personally think it is disrespectful not trying to learn. If I go to Mexico I will bring my English -Spanish wordbook/travel book and thats it.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,214,988 times
Even if I am only going to be in a country for a few days, I try to learn a few words of pleasantries.

But here we have to have signs in Spanish for some pretty obvious words.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,961,349 times
Recall once being in a major grocery chain store. Standing0 in line to the cash register noticed two (obviously Spanish looking males) asking a clerk for the MGR. The 2nd man (ass't mgr) approached them as to their inquiry. They were looking for a job. The 2nd man gave them a application form. Now to their appearance how did I know they were Hispanic, EASY, one was wearing a LONG SLEEVED SHIRT (calf.weather) and the other was wearing a male UNDERSHIRT. Years ago my oldest son went out applying for a box boy job. He was wearing a WHITE SHIRT and TIE. The 2nd store he walked in hired him on the spot. Reason?? Mgr said he liked the way my son was dressed/appearence and looked ready to work. Should also say that I was in the Grocery Inventory business and new how store wanted their employees to look. Now you can understand the difference. Steve

Old 05-16-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
And another thing I'd like to point out , amc760, is your bogus post. In your response to Benicar you said:
"I think an American should get a job before an illegal immigrant. But how many Americans are actually going for these jobs?"

When I pointed out to you that me, and several other Americans, were actually going for these jobs you were quick to answer your own question:
"I've seen American dudes work as cooks. We all joked around him. fact is, he didn't want to be in the front, so he applied for a job in the back and got it."

So, I guess you do know how many Americans are applying for these jobs, huh? Good job of contradicting yourself and proving that you're lying.

haha, how am I lying?

The guy I mentioned was a VERY rare instance of a white American applying for a cook job.
If anything, it proves that if an American wanted to apply, he could get the job. It also proves they don't pay the cooks less than minimum wage or anything.

I was actually backing up what I was saying. Most Americans go for the front-of-the-house jobs, and get hired for those jobs. So you see a lot of them there. VERY very few go for the back of the house jobs.

On the other hand, you dont see many immigrant types working as waiters or even bussers, because those types of jobs require social skills with the customers, where speaking English is important, and being bilingual is the best.

I bet you felt very smart putting my comments together, but if you had any comprehension skills, you'd know what I was saying was supporting my opinion on the matter.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 PM

I don't even know why we are arguing about this, amc760?
Quote:
I think an American should get a job before an illegal immigrant.
There. You agree with me. So what's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration