Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 PM

769 posts, read 2,235,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
haha, how am I lying?

The guy I mentioned was a VERY rare instance of a white American applying for a cook job.
If anything, it proves that if an American wanted to apply, he could get the job. It also proves they don't pay the cooks less than minimum wage or anything.

Not everyone gets the same pay for the same job. There are many times when I could say I got paid more for my co-workers for doing the same job. Heck, sometimes these co-workers were hired the same time I was. And, on a few rare occasions when I had experience in the job, I got paid more than a person who had been working there longer. So the guy who was working in the back could have been paid more than the illegals he was working with.

I was actually backing up what I was saying. Most Americans go for the front-of-the-house jobs, and get hired for those jobs. So you see a lot of them there. VERY very few go for the back of the house jobs.

On the other hand, you dont see many immigrant types working as waiters or even bussers, because those types of jobs require social skills with the customers, where speaking English is important, and being bilingual is the best.

Nope. Definitely nope. Contrary to what you think I worked at the Oliva Garden in Bloomington, MN last year and all the bussers were Spanish-speakers. That is true. And not only that. Many of them were not well-versed in English. Definitely true too. I could go on and on about how bad their English was. But I'll just tell you about a guy who had been working there 12 years--YES, TWELVE YEARS AS A BUSSER!!--and he still wasn't good in English. That was soooo saaaaaad. If it isn't one thing to work 12 years as a busser it is another thing to not speak English very well after 12 years as a busser.

I bet you felt very smart putting my comments together, but if you had any comprehension skills, you'd know what I was saying was supporting my opinion on the matter.

At this point I am actually confused about where you stand. You said an American should get a job before an illegal immigrant. But you're actually defending them over me when I said I didn't like the fact that illegal immigrants were getting jobs over me. What's the deal?
Bold comments are mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:46 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,973,668 times
Where you at? We can't buy a good painter here that can speak English in order to communicate with our customers and just won't stop spraying floors and windows, no matter how many times my hubby asks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I was also looking for a job as a painter and I didn't get it. Paco did.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Where you at? We can't buy a good painter here that can speak English in order to communicate with our customers and just won't stop spraying floors and windows, no matter how many times my hubby asks.
I'm in MN.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:12 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,759,829 times
Quote:
I don't even know why we are arguing about this, amc760?

There. You agree with me. So what's the problem?
I agree with that one statment, but youre the one arguing. You were the one arguing in the first place.

I'm telling you from first hand experience.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,211,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKnan View Post
I'm just like you. My 60 year old parents have even learned English, yet they have young Hispanics at their work that don't speak a word and they have been here for 20+ years.

That's a disrespect to America and shows weak adapting. Even me, I busted my ass learning English and now I speak without a bit of accent and everyone thinks I've been born here. Same with my parents, they attended English classes for many years and literally slept with their English books at nights.

Yet there are some people coming to America and forcing their language on other people. Some chefs at my work place get irritated when someone doesn't understand Spanish

I love America, but that's just one of the issues that irritates me most, this is mainly because of the heavy influx of illegal immigrants who come here and don't care enough to learn the language. A legal immigrant who waits in line for 10+ years (as in my case) just goes to show that they will do a lot for this country and respect laws and cultures.
Trust me, young people can pick up a language much more easily than an adult. You said that these young Hispanics have been here for 20+ years; I assume that they were children when they moved to the U.S. Unless they were not allowed to go to school, watch TV, or hang around other kids, they would have learned English very easily. (I suspect they know English very well).

Old 05-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Trust me, young people can pick up a language much more easily than an adult. You said that these young Hispanics have been here for 20+ years; I assume that they were children when they moved to the U.S. Unless they were not allowed to go to school, watch TV, or hang around other kids, they would have learned English very easily. (I suspect they know English very well).
Exactly. If they are very young, and go to school with Americans, they'll pick it up naturally.
Older immigrants are here to work, and don't have the time to learn english. Its not an easy thing to do, and most rather not take up the intimidating language, because they have more important thigns to worry about.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Exactly. If they are very young, and go to school with Americans, they'll pick it up naturally.
Older immigrants are here to work, and don't have the time to learn english. Its not an easy thing to do, and most rather not take up the intimidating language, because they have more important thigns to worry about.
So you mean the immigrants who work at McDonalds or other restaurants where the menu is in English, the majority of the customers speak English, and the paychecks are in English do not have time to learn the language?

I think I said this before, when I worked at Olive Garden in Bloomington, MN, right off highway 494 West, I met guys who had been working at that restaurant for years and still were having a tough time with it. Sergio was a host from Acapulco. He had been working that job for 4 years and his English was terrible. You'd think a guy who interacted with customers by talking to them and showing them to their table would be able to speak better English. I mean the language was written all over the restaurant, and it was spoken everywhere. You'd also think Javier, a guy who had been bussing for 12 years (!!!) would have learned to speak it quite fluently. I couldn't believe it. He had been there 12 years and still sounded like he was just learning it. WOW! What excuse is there for that?

Old 05-18-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
So you mean the immigrants who work at McDonalds or other restaurants where the menu is in English, the majority of the customers speak English, and the paychecks are in English do not have time to learn the language?

I think I said this before, when I worked at Olive Garden in Bloomington, MN, right off highway 494 West, I met guys who had been working at that restaurant for years and still were having a tough time with it. Sergio was a host from Acapulco. He had been working that job for 4 years and his English was terrible. You'd think a guy who interacted with customers by talking to them and showing them to their table would be able to speak better English. I mean the language was written all over the restaurant, and it was spoken everywhere. You'd also think Javier, a guy who had been bussing for 12 years (!!!) would have learned to speak it quite fluently. I couldn't believe it. He had been there 12 years and still sounded like he was just learning it. WOW! What excuse is there for that?
the mcdonalds and olive garden shouldnt be hiring people for custmomer service when they don't talk english. simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration