Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:21 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,910 times

Advertisements

What I've noticed, is that bigger cities tend to have more illegals, since it's a better place for them to "hide". If I were you, I would look at a nice, quiet suburb out of a major city, if thats what you want.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:46 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
What I've noticed, is that bigger cities tend to have more illegals, since it's a better place for them to "hide". If I were you, I would look at a nice, quiet suburb out of a major city, if thats what you want.
Sorry man, this just isn't the case. I'm from eastern WA and they are inescapable in any town, particularly small towns, of which some are 80% hispanic. Actually, I'd argue that Seattle and Portland have fewer illegals. There is actually a map somewhere online that has a density map of where the illegals are flowing and living. It's a shame and unfortunately it is only getting worse with no end in sight. I try not to think about it because it makes me want to tear out my eyeballs.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on the NASCO Corridor and how it may intensify the illegals situation?
We had a long thread going. Check the political forum.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,926 times
Do you mean Hispanics in general, illegal immigrants from Mexico, or illegal immigrants in general?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Do you mean Hispanics in general, illegal immigrants from Mexico, or illegal immigrants in general?
I'm sure everyone here is referring to illegal immigrants in general, which we know is typically about 70% from Mexico and the rest from other latin American countries. Then there is the insignificant number from other countries, but these are not changing the landscape of America as dramatically and rapidly as the illegal hispanic immigrants. To me, the tone of that statement sounds like someone trying to suggest that everyone who is sick of illegal immigrants is a racist. I'm so tired of that argument it drives me nuts. I see it over and over again on this site when somebody says that illegals are ruining their town and then somebody says that we need to give them time and yadda yadda yadda. There are no excuses and many people are afraid to look at the facts of how much poverty, crime, drugs, school failure, and skyrocketing healthcare costs are all directly related to the flow of illegals coming into this country. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by WazzuCoop21; 01-01-2007 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-02-2007, 01:31 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Go build yourself a cave in the middle of Antarctica, and live there for the rest of your life... then you'll only have to see & hear people just like you, which will be impossible anywhere else. What a boring existence that would be! Like it or not, you're part of a WORLD, and not just some isolated country. We share a border with Mexico, and will always have people moving from there to here - just like in other cases of mass immigration. Get used to it, and learn to play well with others. Btw, I think Spanish is a much more beautiful language than English... I speak it almost fluently, which is why I get jobs over Americans who don't (well, one of the reasons - lol). I'm sure it boils your blood to hear that, so why don't you learn Spanish? It's called "playing the game", and this is the easiest way to win.

Don't pretend this is an illegal issue, since it's obvious you just have a problem with Latino cultures & people... I bet any time you see a Mexican or Cuban, you assume they're illegal - right?? And as "hatless wonder" mentioned, you only said ILLEGALS, but then began a rant about Spanish and the Latinos. So obviously you don't have a problem with illegal or legal immigration in general, just with people from Spanish-speaking countries. And don't give me the old "most immigrants these days are Latino", because that really doesn't matter... as long as they come from other countries, you're still singling out one type.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Go build yourself a cave in the middle of Antarctica, and live there for the rest of your life... then you'll only have to see & hear people just like you, which will be impossible anywhere else. What a boring existence that would be! Like it or not, you're part of a WORLD, and not just some isolated country. We share a border with Mexico, and will always have people moving from there to here - just like in other cases of mass immigration. Get used to it, and learn to play well with others. Btw, I think Spanish is a much more beautiful language than English... I speak it almost fluently, which is why I get jobs over Americans who don't (well, one of the reasons - lol). I'm sure it boils your blood to hear that, so why don't you learn Spanish? It's called "playing the game", and this is the easiest way to win.

Don't pretend this is an illegal issue, since it's obvious you just have a problem with Latino cultures & people... I bet any time you see a Mexican or Cuban, you assume they're illegal - right?? And as "hatless wonder" mentioned, you only said ILLEGALS, but then began a rant about Spanish and the Latinos. So obviously you don't have a problem with illegal or legal immigration in general, just with people from Spanish-speaking countries. And don't give me the old "most immigrants these days are Latino", because that really doesn't matter... as long as they come from other countries, you're still singling out one type.
As a matter of fact I do know Spanish . I could care less what you say about me. Anyone can go back and look at posts I've written, I have nothing to hide. But, the average working class American that isn't latino doesn't have the time or money that they need to support their family to take time off of work to learn a new language. Period. Not to mention the fact that illegal immigrants are suppressing wages in this country, but I won't go into that...

It's simply economics that businesses that you work for want someone who is bilingual, but it boils my blood that it's no longer a 'plus', but rather it has become a REQUIREMENT. The numbers of non-english speaking immigrants today, of which the vast majority are hispanic (not singling out, it's a fact), are nearly equal to the 42 million who came over here in all of the past 3 1/2 centuries from 1607 to 1965. No nation has attempted to assimilate 36 million foreigners in a single generation. Yet, each year, 1.5 million more added, half are illegal. This is fact. I already posted about the consequences of trying to assimilate millions of impoverished, low-skilled laborers. Anyone who thinks this is a good thing is living in la-la land, has illegal relatives, or is profiting off of this travesty. The vast majority of Americans agree with me, so call me what you will. At least I have the huevos to admit it.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
I'm sure everyone here is referring to illegal immigrants in general, which we know is typically about 70% from Mexico and the rest from other latin American countries. Then there is the insignificant number from other countries, but these are not changing the landscape of America as dramatically and rapidly as the illegal hispanic immigrants. To me, the tone of that statement sounds like someone trying to suggest that everyone who is sick of illegal immigrants is a racist. I'm so tired of that argument it drives me nuts. I see it over and over again on this site when somebody says that illegals are ruining their town and then somebody says that we need to give them time and yadda yadda yadda. There are no excuses and many people are afraid to look at the facts of how much poverty, crime, drugs, school failure, and skyrocketing healthcare costs are all directly related to the flow of illegals coming into this country. Just my 2 cents.
Well, I'm sick of hearing all of your (and other's) arguments too... anyone who can't read the prejudiced undertones in these threads is either naive, or in serious denial. At least have the gall to say what you're really thinking, and stop hiding behind a political issue. I'm not saying you all want to join the KKK or anything, but this type of attitude is clearly biased. Also, I do understand the economic & social impact of illegal immigration, since I'm not dumb either... but this is still no reason to "dislike" an entire ethnic group. To judge a group of people based on a few, or on government-related issues they have little control over, is the very definition of prejudice.

You're also seriously lacking in sympathy/empathy, whereas I've actually taken the time to get to know them (immigrants, both legal & illegal) on deeper levels - therefore seeing their humanity, and learning the stories behind why they came here. Finally, I'm sick of hearing the word "illegal" used to describe all immigrants, with no basis or explanation for how you can identify them without proof. I'd LOVE to hear someone give me a logical answer on that...

Disclaimer: Before I'm accused of personal attacks, I'm using the "you" term generally... it might apply to you specificaly (kdizzle), but I'm not personally targeting anyone here.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
As a matter of fact I do know Spanish . I could care less what you say about me. Anyone can go back and look at posts I've written, I have nothing to hide.
My post wasn't even directed at you, it was for the original poster. And not caring what someone thinks isn't "cool" or strong, it's just really stubborn. I don't CARE to the point of changing myself for anyone, but I do try to consider other people in my actions and words. That's called being considerate, and taking the effort to think about someone besides yourself.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
... So obviously you don't have a problem with illegal or legal immigration in general, just with people from Spanish-speaking countries....
As a matter of fact I have a problem with our entire immigration policy. I have called for a temporary moratorium on all immigration. Once complete border security is achieved a new policy can be written. IMO all new immigrants must be versed in American culture, have a complete background check, have command of English, and have enough money to make a reasonable living. This is the only way to ensure productive citizens. It doesn't matter what race or culture of their origin, if they meet they meet those requirements then the odds are much greather that they will assimilate into our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration