Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 06:25 PM

9,331 posts, read 16,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
you mean, like they'd sneak 100,000 troops into Mexico and come storming across the desert and overtake Texas? New Mexico?
No the weakness and ineptness of the administration and lack of strong military leaders. The debacle of Afghanistan showed the world and our allies how incompetent we are. I know of two families that their sons went to a recruiter and we told, "we aren't taking full-time soldiers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 06:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,324,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m not sure I understand what you’re getting at with your post? I was talking about other factors which have caused the number of encounters at our border to increase in recent months. Are you questioning why Hatians and Central and South Americans aren’t settling in Mexico vs. attempting to gain entry in the U.S.?
Where did the vast majority of the Haitians come from - Haiti in the last 60 days or South America where they've lived for several years safely?

Where do all of these people pass through? Do the international rules say "first safe country" or not? Is Mexico party to that with us .... errr, were they under Trump?

I mean, at least you and I don't name-call each other, but otherwise you're attempting equally specious and lame points to debate/argue.

What does the law of the land in the US say?

Do not jump the border, come to a port of entry.
Asylum claims are approved under very narrow criteria.
Illegals are to be detained until a court date, where their case will be heard. For 95%+ of those detained, they will be deported.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
No the weakness and ineptness of the administration and lack of strong military leaders. The debacle of Afghanistan showed the world and our allies how incompetent we are. I know of two families that their sons went to a recruiter and we told, "we aren't taking full-time soldiers."
But how are we going to be invaded?

They've got to come through Canada or Mexico, or maybe launch from Cuba I guess.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,436,217 times
Quote:
Where did the vast majority of the Haitians come from - Haiti in the last 60 days or South America where they've lived for several years safely?

Where do all of these people pass through? Do the international rules say "first safe country" or not? Is Mexico party to that with us .... errr, were they under Trump?

I mean, at least you and I don't name-call each other, but otherwise you're attempting equally specious and lame points to debate/argue.

What does the law of the land in the US say?

Do not jump the border, come to a port of entry.
Asylum claims are approved under very narrow criteria.
Illegals are to be detained until a court date, where their case will be heard. For 95%+ of those detained, they will be deported.
Again, it isn’t clear to me what you’re arguing. The fact of the matter is that most of them are showing up at the US border wanting entry and thus is becomes our problem to deal with.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:15 AM

63,299 posts, read 29,383,152 times
I am glad that Trump's "wait in Mexico" policy is being reinstated next month. It should be happening now.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I partially blame the increased encounters on the low unemployment rate and the widespread labor shortage. If the economy was in the crapper most of these people wouldn’t have bothered to make the trip.

If Biden tanked the US economy far less people would show up. Is that what you want?
Quote:
Illegals don’t care about political rhetoric, they care about economic opportunity. .
Quote:
let's see ....

the unemployment rate was lower than it is today until Feb '20. By your thesis, they would have been coming in even greater numbers. ...

In sum, while I always admire your pretzel logic that really twists some folks up, you've had to outdo your claim here.

It's like Biden's Commerce Secy saying "we've got a supply chain bottleneck because Biden has created 6MM jobs and demand is way up!" when we had more people employed from 2016-2019 without issues.
Quote:
Look at the numbers in 2019 before the pandemic hit. Encounters were high then as well.
Quote:
Again, it isn’t clear to me what you’re arguing. The fact of the matter is that most of them are showing up at the US border wanting entry and thus is becomes our problem to deal with.
well, you started with "they're coming for jobs because of the low unemployment rate/labor shortage". So I posted towards that. Except, of course, the unemployment rate is much higher than 2019 and before.

Then, you did a 180 to "well, it's because of natural disasters and unstable countries". So I posted towards that.

So, let's stick to the jobs aspect, which was your first and you presumably thought best point.

First, 150K unaccompanied kids aren't coming for jobs.

Second, the "labor shortage" didn't start until the summer, but by then they were already coming in record numbers.

Here's a good summation:

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/fy21...-ever-recorded

Quote:
Single adult encounters made up the vast majority of FY21’s illegal alien encounters: 1,105,925 of the total 1,734,686. The administration states that 75% of those single adults were expelled via Title 42 (75% of the 915,998 single adults encountered since Biden took office). Such a large quantity of single adults also lends more credence to the idea that most of these migrants are making the trip for economic reasons, not humanitarian.
so, if they make an asylum claim, they're not booted. 900K were booted, but that means about 230K single adults were allowed entry in some form.

From FY18-20, we were 300-350K single adult encounters/detainments. For FY21 it was 3x that.

It also doesn't tell you about the "gotaways"

Quote:
the number of got-aways reached approximately 300,000 in July, with an additional 40,000 got-aways in August. Given the estimations and September’s encounter totals, it is not beyond doubt that FY21’s total got-aways reached nearly 400,000. In FY20, an estimated 69,000 aliens avoided detection after illegally crossing the southern border.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:45 AM

as to "showing up at the border, so it's our problem now", it sure is.

After the Feb - May 2019 debacle*, we had systems in place to deter "showing up at the border" and allowing entry that made it "our problem now".

And Joe dismantled everything he could on Jan 20th.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:09 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,436,217 times
1) It is reasonable to conclude that unrest/violence, environmental disasters and the COVID pandemic could have contributed to the influx in people showing up at the border and that the reason they are choosing the US over say Mexico or another country is likely due to family connections and/or economic opportunity. These are not mutually exclusive.

2) I’m looking at the numbers provided by your link. Fiscal year 2021 went from Oct ‘20 - Sep ‘21. This means that 4 months occurred during the Trump administration and 8 months occurred during the Biden administration. The article states that single adult encounters totaled 1,105,925 under Biden, meaning that the remaining amount, 628,761 occurred under Trump. If you break this down by month there were 157,190/month under Trump vs. 157,989/month under Biden….nearly identical! This is astounding to me and really undermines the outrage being parroted about this 24/7 in conservative media outlets.

3) The Biden Administration has expelled 75% of the 915,998 single adults it has encountered via Title 42 you say? That’s a lot of expelling…impressive no? So why the outrage?

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 10-26-2021 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 12:36 PM

63,299 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Lol, so these migrants were showing up at our border in droves because of the Covid pandemic in their own countries? Last I looked our country was infected with it to so that makes no sense. Wanting economic opportunity is no reason to claim asylum in our country nor does it justify sneaking into our country illegally.

What is some of their family doing here and some still in their own countries? That makes no sense either unless those here are also here illegally. The whole family lacks morals and scruples then.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bi...sCz?li=BBnb7Kz

https://www.wnd.com/2021/10/migrants...Eld854ZyaBrF_I

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-400-...235300558.html

https://www.wnd.com/2021/09/number-n...tKv-P7muFDyGJ4

https://www.wsj.com/articles/migrant...rs-11628799813

Yeah nothing to see here or to be outraged about, right? Once Trump implemented his policies illegal entry and attempts plummeted and there is no denying it.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
1) It is reasonable to conclude that unrest/violence, environmental disasters and the COVID pandemic could have contributed to the influx in people showing up at the border and that the reason they are choosing the US over say Mexico or another country is likely due to family connections and/or economic opportunity. These are not mutually exclusive.

2) I’m looking at the numbers provided by your link. Fiscal year 2021 went from Oct ‘20 - Sep ‘21. This means that 4 months occurred during the Trump administration and 8 months occurred during the Biden administration. The article states that single adult encounters totaled 1,105,925 under Biden, meaning that the remaining amount, 628,761 occurred under Trump. If you break this down by month there were 157,190/month under Trump vs. 157,989/month under Biden….nearly identical! This is astounding to me and really undermines the outrage being parroted about this 24/7 in conservative media outlets.

3) The Biden Administration has expelled 75% of the 915,998 single adults it has encountered via Title 42 you say? That’s a lot of expelling…impressive no? So why the outrage?
you're looking at them poorly.

Quote:
Single adult encounters made up the vast majority of FY21’s illegal alien encounters: 1,105,925 of the total 1,734,686. The administration states that 75% of those single adults were expelled via Title 42 (75% of the 915,998 single adults encountered since Biden took office).
there were 1.7MM total encounters from this info.
1.1MM of those were single adults.
916K of that 1.1M were under Biden.

ergo, 200K single adults in 4 months of Trump. 900K in 8 months of Biden.

Now, if you're interested in TOTALS (including families and children), then just go back to the CBP chart and add up the first 4 months compared to the last 8 months. You really won't want to do it though.

also, in 2018 we apprehended a total of only 300K, so letting ~230K in is a problem.

Last edited by Eyebee Teepee; 10-26-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration