Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 01:16 PM

20,377 posts, read 9,260,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The only viable claim for asylum is persecution. What persecution are most of these asylum seekers fleeing from? I think we all know that they are economic migrants making bogus asylum claims. Once they are allowed into our country they disappear into the woodwork. In the meantime we pick up the tab for all of their immediate needs.
Most of them are young single males. They don't ask for asylum until they are caught sneaking into the country by the Border Patrol, we have no idea who or what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 02:06 PM

37,704 posts, read 61,830,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I find that surprising. When you think of Maine, you think rural, which makes you think population decline.
I have lived in rural Maine for seventeen years so far. I have seen many local news articles about our population. We have two simultaneous migrations happening. Young adults leave as soon as they complete high school or college, seeking high wages in cities. While older people come here for their retirement.

Maine's population is mostly older people, we have the oldest average age of residents, giving us the highest percentage of retirees among all states.

These two migrations usually equal each other, so our total population stays steady.

There is no population decline here.

Quote:
... Maine and New England in general have not historically been a place many illegals or migrants go to. Vermont, NH, and Maine are some of the "whitest" states left in this country in fact.
True.

Our primary 'industry' is tourism. With over 3,000 miles of coastline, we get a lot of summer tourists who want to eat lobster in the small tourist villages along the shore. Soon there will be the bear hunters who hire local guides. I think that is to be expected when a state is over 92% forested. Then we have winter tourists, who want to access our over 16,000 miles of sled trails. Dog sled races and snowmobiles are both very popular.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:08 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,445,543 times
Correction to earlier post: MaineToday Media transferred hands from billionaire and prominent liberal donor Donald Sussman, ex-husband to Maine representative Chellie Pingree, to Reade Brower.

Excellent journalism on the part of Gillian Graham. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,610,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
The people running the Obama Show Term 3 are pushing more illegal immigrants or asylum seekers from Angola into Portland and Auburn/Lewiston, Maine.

Asylum Seekers Overwhelm Shelters in Portland, The Epoch Times...
Is the Epoch Times the new Fox or something? Who dreams up this crap?

Seriously, conservatives are way over-thinking the Dems/liberals' ability to control anything. It would be like corralling cats in a mouse frenzy. Liberals are too independent and free-thinking. They don't take the spin nearly as seriously as conservatives do. Conservatives are being so played by their spin doctors that they think everyone else is. We are not.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:37 AM

63,506 posts, read 29,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Is the Epoch Times the new Fox or something? Who dreams up this crap?

Seriously, conservatives are way over-thinking the Dems/liberals' ability to control anything. It would be like corralling cats in a mouse frenzy. Liberals are too independent and free-thinking. They don't take the spin nearly as seriously as conservatives do. Conservatives are being so played by their spin doctors that they think everyone else is. We are not.
What part of that poster's remarks weren't true? I have no idea what your post even means. In regards to the illegal immigration issue how are conservatives being played by their own party and in what way? The facts are the facts and the statistics are what they are.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:37 AM

Default Liberal Hypocrisy -- Steamrolling over Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

^^ Not on thread topic. Proof that liberals don't want to have the truth of issues exposed or discussed. Pretending their lies are facts and gaslighting themselves is not independence and free-thinking.

Title of thread is: Immigrant crisis in Maine/liberals shipping illegals into Maine.

Deflection and spin do not change what is reality here in Maine: Liberal politicians are attempting to dismantle common sense and order in our communities. Governor Janet Mills is incapable of being honest, transparent, and faithful to the United States and to Maine.

The absurdly delusional and simplistic editorial about the affordable housing crisis in the MaineToday Media avoids the real hypocrisy in the issue with the family living at the turnpike travel plaza. The writer claims this is the problem of towns' building rules and completely IGNORES how the federal government is shipping illegals into Maine (and other states) and provides motel accommodations, medical care, and other social services for them. Somehow, refugees are securing housing in Lewiston and Portland. Just in time for the November election.

Last edited by Fern435; 07-26-2022 at 05:54 AM..

Old 07-26-2022, 09:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,150,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Our primary 'industry' is tourism. With over 3,000 miles of coastline, we get a lot of summer tourists who want to eat lobster in the small tourist villages along the shore. Soon there will be the bear hunters who hire local guides. I think that is to be expected when a state is over 92% forested. Then we have winter tourists, who want to access our over 16,000 miles of sled trails. Dog sled races and snowmobiles are both very popular.
Tell me, do you have nordic spas? Meaning the outdoor jacuzzis in winter, and a frozen lake or river to dip into? If so, then along with the sled trails, and snowmobiles, I may come this winter if Canada does not open up for non vax.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:48 PM

37,704 posts, read 61,830,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Tell me, do you have nordic spas? Meaning the outdoor jacuzzis in winter, and a frozen lake or river to dip into? If so, then along with the sled trails, and snowmobiles, I may come this winter if Canada does not open up for non vax.
We have a number of friends who have hot tubs or jacuzzis outside.

We have had indoor jacuzzis in two of our previous homes that worked nicely for us. This house had a hot tub for the first couple of years, but the humidity got out of control. By the time that I shut it down we had severe mold growing on our ceilings. [we currently use woodstoves for heat, which does not provide the same quantity of ventilation that a gas or oil-fired furnace provides]

We discuss buying another jacuzzi for outside, every winter. When we had them, we used them daily. It was nice to be in that standard of living.

I just finished replacing our main woodstove and my DW's wood-fired cookstove, next I need to focus on spreading another layer of gravel in our carport, and then installing an indoor open-hearth firepit goes in our living room [it was included in this house' original floorplan, but after seventeen years has not been constructed yet]. Since it is already August, I doubt I will be able to install a jacuzzi this year. [but I want one].

Old 08-31-2022, 04:38 AM

26,448 posts, read 13,321,307 times
The Republican's in DC just do not seem to care much about millions of illegals pouring in across our Southern border. They are being paid off by big biz for cheap labor evidently.

Why else do they stay mostly silent? Could it be they really can't stop it w/o having control over the House, Senate, White House, or ICE? Or, do they see most hispanics leaning Red now, so its politically helpful to have all these future Republican voters streaming in?

Old 08-31-2022, 05:44 AM

Default Republicans have not been silent about illegal immigrant crisis.

Evidently, militant liberal acolytes were ordered to flood social media this week. Liberal echochamber lies cannot change what is true.

Copying phrases in another post and flipping it to dump on Republicans:

The Republican's in DC just do not seem to care much about millions of illegals pouring in across our Southern border. They are being paid off by big biz for cheap labor evidently. Why else do they stay mostly silent? Could it be they really can't stop it w/o having control over the House, Senate, White House, or ICE? Or, do they see most hispanics leaning Red now, so its politically helpful to have all these future Republican voters streaming in?

The topic is specifically illegals being shipped by liberal deep state into Maine. Should we change it to jacuzzis in Maine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration