Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,566,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Oy, Herr Palpatein!
I say again your thinly disquised racism is spitting on the memories of those killed in action in all of our wars --- revolutionary to now. You should be ashamed to call yourself American. I know I am ashamed to call you one!
I'm not so sure it's "thinly disguised".....I think it's pretty obvious !...but, in any case, it may be true that the future will see big demographic changes from the present. That's life, and if "white people" don't want to become a smaller and smaller part of it, they should al become MORMONS (get it ?...Mormons ?....7 kids ?) I can't complain, because even my KIDS don't 'look like me'....

Seriously, though, the future won't "be like" the present. Your great grandkids MAY not resemble you in 'color', but it's equally true that they may ALSO not resemble you in many ways much more important than that. The REAL fear, in my opinion, is that our great-great grandchildren may not resemble us in morals or ethics. Will they know freedom? Will they still dream? Will their lives be optimistic?

But that's really a moot point, isn't it? Because I won't be around to witness it. Whoever they are, I can only wish them well...(maybe mine will meet yours, somewhere..?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:12 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm not so sure it's "thinly disguised".....I think it's pretty obvious !...but, in any case, it may be true that the future will see big demographic changes from the present. That's life, and if "white people" don't want to become a smaller and smaller part of it, they should al become MORMONS (get it ?...Mormons ?....7 kids ?) I can't complain, because even my KIDS don't 'look like me'....

Seriously, though, the future won't "be like" the present. Your great grandkids MAY not resemble you in 'color', but it's equally true that they may ALSO not resemble you in many ways much more important than that. The REAL fear, in my opinion, is that our great-great grandchildren may not resemble us in morals or ethics. Will they know freedom? Will they still dream? Will their lives be optimistic?

But that's really a moot point, isn't it? Because I won't be around to witness it. Whoever they are, I can only wish them well...(maybe mine will meet yours, somewhere..?).
As you stated.......especially what I bolded in your post really hit home for me on many levels.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,649,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Color doesn't bother me...my eldest bio dd is a lovely tan (which leads me to believe someone somewhere in the family tree wasn't lily white ) and my son (adopted) is not the same race at all.
Now this does concern me a lot. Inasmuch as it relates to the immigration forum, I believe that this nations look the other way as businesses profit and the illegals are exploited is a symptom of a larger political problem. I hope that my children/grandchildren and descendents fight for all they are worth to keep personal integrity and freedom alive in this country.
Who knows? I certainly wouldn't mind

Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,680,328 times
I noticed no one seems to want to be honest enough to actually solve the problem of migrant, black market labor participation in the US. A warfare-state economic model will not solve that problem any better than Fortress Europe solved it for the Europeans.

Market friendly public policy could solve the issue of migrant, black market labor participation, raise revenue to offset costs, and lower public and private sector costs.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I noticed no one seems to want to be honest enough to actually solve the problem of migrant, black market labor participation in the US. A warfare-state economic model will not solve that problem any better than Fortress Europe solved it for the Europeans.

Market friendly public policy could solve the issue of migrant, black market labor participation, raise revenue to offset costs, and lower public and private sector costs.
Why would you see this as a sign of dishonesty? Maybe being unable to solve such a problem means it can't be solved at all, without making some societal changes no one wants to make just yet (for example, the sharp curtailment of freedoms...."freezing" of wages.....Government oversight of business, etc.). I don't see that the inability to solve this crisis is a sign of dishonesty (though it's obvious many of us aren't on the same page in this matter)..

Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 PM

I would agree with you if the situation required rocket science to solve, but it doesn't. It only requires economic science.

How would fining all current, black market labor participants in the US and issuing them a work visa not solve that issue, and raise revenue to offset public sector costs and lower costs to the private sector though implementation of more market friendly public policy?

Old 06-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I would agree with you if the situation required rocket science to solve, but it doesn't. It only requires economic science.

How would fining all current, black market labor participants in the US and issuing them a work visa not solve that issue, and raise revenue to offset public sector costs and lower costs to the private sector though implementation of more market friendly public policy?
In theory, it may work, but in practice, the complications would be great. It would essentially STILL be a case of letting lawbreakers "buy their way out" of their problem, a would be a direct insult to any legal immigrants still 'waiting in line', and it would be, in effect, a de-facto offering of a government-sanctioned 'alternative' to legal immigration.

I also think it would be unenforceable. The first time a 'beneficiary' of your plan complained that he "couldn't" pay, or felt he shouldn't have to, the ACLU would be all over the case, calling it a "shake-down" of hard-working immgrants, probably because they 'aren't white'....and MEChA would send up a protest like we've never heard.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 PM

It is not theory, but a business model that is employed by the passenger railroad sector; that is how complicated this public policy scheme would be.

I am not sure why you keep bringing up immigration, in a discussion of migrant, black market labor market participants. A work visa is not a residency visa. Market friendly work visa holders would not need to obtain a residency visa to live and work in the US.

Anyone who is "illegal" in the US and wants to obtain a residency visa would have to go through normal channels or be fined and issued a work visa, and then go through normal channels for a residency visa.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,672,025 times
OK I will be honest. I do not like seeing all the legal somalians or asians or russians or the head wrapped variety. The mexicans, well I just assume they are mostly all illegal and they are just as annoying as the rest.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:40 PM

A market friendly work visa scheme would solve the issue of annoying illegals, since they would all be fined and be given the opportunity to become annoying legals, for a small additional fee.

This type of public policy scheme could eventually lower our tax burden and lower public and private sector costs, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration