Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 02:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
How are you going to send food stamps and Medicaid back to Mexico?

I’m sorta disgusted by my fellow conservatives on this topic. These are children who had nothing to do with what their parents did, aside from existing in the first place.
So it is the American people that should support them? There are homeless American people and children in foster care, many who are eligible for adoption but we should support these children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 11:46 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I think that the parents know what is best for their children more than you would.

Actually it does matter what the parents think. What does it matter what outsiders that are foreign to the situation think?

Not necessarily. There are a lot of tough situations where the parents realize the best overall situation for the children leads to separation. Throughout history there are many instances where a parent had to make this choice.
We are taxpaying U.S. citzends and government money is being spent.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:45 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
We are taxpaying U.S. citzends and government money is being spent.
Yes, it does matter what we think because we are being forced to support these kids! Who cares what these lawbreaking illegal alien parents want for their kids? They have no right to dump them on us. They should have taken them with them when deported. They are their parents responsibility to care for, not us!

Old 04-28-2023, 06:17 AM

3,282 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I’ve seen a lot of this planet myself, and no one could tell me otherwise.
Agreed that no one could tell you otherwise.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:56 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Oh these arguments. Only American hubris would think the kids are better off staying here without parents than to be in a poorer country with them.

The arrogance astounds me..

Old 04-30-2023, 06:40 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We can't be the saviors to the whole world'd destitute by allowing them all into our country. It would be committing national suicide. What about our own citizens or don't they count? Walls and deportations do help discourage them from coming here or remaining here. The good walls have been 90% effective in deterring illegal entry and enforcing our immigration laws internally is a deterrant to. A nation has a right to protect their borders and their own citizens.

Biden and the Democrats are doing the wrong thing by encouraging them to come here via "virtual" open borders, promises of amnesty and taxpayer benefits. No one should be allowed into our country making an asylum claim either without verifying that it's legitimate first. The Democrats are the ones you should be demonizing not the Republicans.

Bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics need to get over themselves and face reality. We don't owe millions of poor, uneducated and unskilled entry into our country to take jobs, taxes and resources from Americans. That kind of charity is insane!
I’m not sure where you got that from what I said. Perhaps I’m not the normal kind of person you’re used to having discourse with. It’s not a digital, black-or-white kind of thing.

But I do wonder why, if the walls are 90% effective, we are still complaining so vehemently? I think a wall is too simplistic, just a band aid on a cut, with no ability to actually stop the bleeding. I just think a lot more thought needs to be put into this beyond a wall, and that getting to the actual root cause of why people hop the border in the first place is probably a far more cost-effective solution, as well as being more humane than forcing people to trek through a desert at the mercy of cartel coyotes. I gave an example of how I’d rather fix the cause of something rather than just dealing with the symptoms, and that’s the kind of thinking which I believe is required here.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:36 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m not sure where you got that from what I said. Perhaps I’m not the normal kind of person you’re used to having discourse with. It’s not a digital, black-or-white kind of thing.

But I do wonder why, if the walls are 90% effective, we are still complaining so vehemently? I think a wall is too simplistic, just a band aid on a cut, with no ability to actually stop the bleeding. I just think a lot more thought needs to be put into this beyond a wall, and that getting to the actual root cause of why people hop the border in the first place is probably a far more cost-effective solution, as well as being more humane than forcing people to trek through a desert at the mercy of cartel coyotes. I gave an example of how I’d rather fix the cause of something rather than just dealing with the symptoms, and that’s the kind of thinking which I believe is required here.
The wall wasn't completed and where it hasn't been is where they are sneaking though. Physical barriers have always been necessary deterrents. If not then why do we have them around our homes and businesses? They help the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively.

The wall should be a part of the solution. No one has said that it's the total solution. Root cause? Is that you Kamala Harris? We already know why they come here and that's to steal jobs and taxpayer benefits and many are making bogus asylum claims to get into our country to.

We already have a humane immigration policy it's called legal immigration and we allow in 1 million of them a year. We cannot be the saviors to the whole world's poor and destitute as they are a tax burden on our society and we have to keep our population numbers in check to.

Fixing the cause shouldn't include allowing millions of poor, uneducated and unskilled into our country because it would just cause a whole host of problems for our own citizens. Or don't they count?

Old 04-30-2023, 01:37 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Most illegals in the US entered legally at a legal point of entry or an airport and simply overstayed their VISA

Old 04-30-2023, 03:15 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The wall wasn't completed and where it hasn't been is where they are sneaking though. Physical barriers have always been necessary deterrents. If not then why do we have them around our homes and businesses? They help the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively.

The wall should be a part of the solution. No one has said that it's the total solution. Root cause? Is that you Kamala Harris? We already know why they come here and that's to steal jobs and taxpayer benefits and many are making bogus asylum claims to get into our country to.

We already have a humane immigration policy it's called legal immigration and we allow in 1 million of them a year. We cannot be the saviors to the whole world's poor and destitute as they are a tax burden on our society and we have to keep our population numbers in check to.

Fixing the cause shouldn't include allowing millions of poor, uneducated and unskilled into our country because it would just cause a whole host of problems for our own citizens. Or don't they count?
Well, you’re the one who keeps invoking this idea that the *only* alternative is to just let them in. I would wager that development projects as well as crime eradication south of the border - assuming somehow we could keep the corruption out of it - would be a better investment. Every dollar spent on that seems like it would reap multiple dollars of savings at home when we don’t need such extensive entitlements, CBP patrols, immigration courts, and the like. I don’t know that it’s the best or only alternative, but I’d like to think the US has enough smart people to think outside the box (or wall?) a little bit.

DACA is another matter entirely, and it’s too good of a political football for DC to be willing to actually solve that riddle.

Old 04-30-2023, 05:54 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:

Gee, try to keep up:

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...wall-was-built

"Before Biden stopped new construction on the wall, the Trump administration had built 458 miles of what it dubbed “border wall system,” according to final figures compiled by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and provided to U.S. News."

"Since taking office and largely stopping wall construction, Biden has canceled border wall projects paid for by Pentagon funds."

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Most illegals in the US entered legally at a legal point of entry or an airport and simply overstayed their VISA
Actually, that isn't true, especially recently. You see they cannot count the number of illegals that have entered. There is no way for them to know that. They simply guesstimate the number based on the number that they actually apprehend.

Quote:
Well, you’re the one who keeps invoking this idea that the *only* alternative is to just let them in. I would wager that development projects as well as crime eradication south of the border - assuming somehow we could keep the corruption out of it - would be a better investment. Every dollar spent on that seems like it would reap multiple dollars of savings at home when we don’t need such extensive entitlements, CBP patrols, immigration courts, and the like. I don’t know that it’s the best or only alternative, but I’d like to think the US has enough smart people to think outside the box (or wall?) a little bit.

DACA is another matter entirely, and it’s too good of a political football for DC to be willing to actually solve that riddle.
https://www.state.gov/humanitarian-a...4594%20million.

"The United States is providing nearly $200 million in additional humanitarian assistance through international organizations and NGO partners in Mexico and Central America, bringing our total humanitarian assistance for the region since FY 2018 to more than $594 million."

By 2021:

https://www.state.gov/the-united-sta...ca-and-mexico/

More than $331 million in 2021.

The best answer for the most saving of both dollars and our country is to secure the border, and start deporting this new bunch that just came in. It costs taxpayers billions of dollars a year, so I do see how a wall and additional border patrol agents could possibly be more expensive!

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publica...taxpayers-2023

$151 billion per year would go a long way in securing the border.

https://apnews.com/article/7a4db70b8...abf6ea34a6988c

"Illegal immigrants make up 13% of federal prison population" and these are ones that more just in the US illegally. A lot of them flee from their mother countries to avoid prosecution for murder, etc., and others commit crimes while here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration