Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:01 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
whatever california
"Whatever" because you have no more argument right? I see. Trapped in your own ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
"Whatever" because you have no more argument right? I see.
no I don't have anymore argument when it's these short little comebacks, I'm done "arguing" ...throw out something with a little more meat and I might bite.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,919 times
Quote:
no I don't have anymore argument when it's these short little comebacks, I'm done "arguing" ...throw out something with a little more meat and I might bite.
If it helps you sleep at night, sure.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,648,053 times
So what is the argument here? We are all in agreement that the majority of illegals come from Mexico -- either they are Mexican nationals or they come by way of the Mexican border.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So what is the argument here? We are all in agreement that the majority of illegals come from Mexico -- either they are Mexican nationals or they come by way of the Mexican border.
Honestly I have no clue what the argument is! He likes to have the last word no matter how ridiculous it it...it's all part of the pro illegal plan, confuse us and sneak em in

Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Honestly I have no clue what the argument is! He likes to have the last word no matter how ridiculous it it...it's all part of the pro illegal plan, confuse us and sneak em in

The open borders advocates want nothing less than completely open borders, unrestricted immigration for at least all people living in Mexico. They want the USA to accomodate every Mexican who wishes to come here and live comfortably by making sure the Spanish language is available to them every step of the way. Full and free healthcare handouts, food stamps to those who don't wish to work or wish to work just some of the time. Free college of course. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair because some might not be able to attend college.

Most of these pro-illegals aren't really for allowing everyone in the whole world to have the same unrestricted immigration rights as Mexicans. To them it is very much about "race", their people, their country.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,679,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Most of these pro-illegals aren't really for allowing everyone in the whole world to have the same unrestricted immigration rights as Mexicans. To them it is very much about "race", their people, their country.
As someone who has been labeled "pro illegal" on this forum, I want to make it clear that I do not support any sense of elevated rights or entitlement for Mexicans as opposed to people of other nationalities. My stance is not at all supported by the idea that just because some Mexicans lived north of the border before the border "crossed them" then that means that ALL Mexicans have a claim of right to United States land. I believe that only a minority of Mexicans living in this country had descendants to whom this scenario happened; the majority of Mexicans living here did not begin to live in this country until well after the present-day borders had been established. Thus, the "We didn't cross the border; the border crossed us!" argument is pretty weak. An ethnocultural argument (for example, that Mexicans are Roman Catholic Westerners and therefore more like North Americans than other groups) would work a lot better and I'm surprised that more people don't try to use it.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
An ethnocultural argument (for example, that Mexicans are Roman Catholic Westerners and therefore more like North Americans than other groups) would work a lot better and I'm surprised that more people don't try to use it.
I think that argument would still be weak because then we should also let every Haitian, very Jamaican and so on in, the Haitians are certain Roman Catholic, Westerners and North Americans, every bit as much as are Mexicans, but you don't see many arguing for unlimited and unrestricted immigration from Haiti. You don't even see people from Haiti demanding that.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 PM

What I believe is that we need a fair and balanced immigration. Someone from for example Haiti or Barbados should not have a lesser chance than someone from Mexico. I would say ability to speak English would give someone from Barbados an edge over someone from Mexico who knows no English at all, I would include people from India, Hong Kong, Ethiopia who can speak English as those who should be more toward the front of the line.

I don't see any good reason to give someone from this hemisphere some much bigger right, to me those people who actually want to be American and who respect our laws should be favored.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,679,228 times
That's precisely my point. Almost no one argues that and maybe they should. Haitians and Jamaicans are Christian Westerners and if the United States ever developed an immigration policy which awarded points to people on a generic "likelihood of cultural assimilation" index, these groups would certainly get some preference.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that we should do immigration like this; I am just saying that if this were to ever happen (and I am not so sure that many of you would be opposed to it), Mexicans would be wise to make the argument that I have proposed instead of relying on the historical argument that Mexican-Americans put forth in favor of "their (Mexican national) people." That argument pisses many people off, including me, and it could easily be replaced by something more convincing.

Also, as someone who speaks Spanish as well as English, I would not be terribly opposed to an immigration system that gave preference to people who already speak English (which would include pretty much all people from the Anglosphere like Indians, Kenyans, St. Lucians, Canadians, Britons, etc.) Other countries in the world already do this and it's not really a controversial idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration