Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:54 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,937,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
No I am not ready for that many people. Just look at the past 40 years-we gained 100 million people. If it weren't for immigration-both legal and illegal, we would have LOST population-which looking at the way our country is now would have been fine with me. 100 million people in 40 years is way too much for any country to handle. I don't care if they all come legally, assimilate and want to be Americans-it is still too much. No wonder our country is in the mess it is.

Nicolem
Can't rep you because I must spread it around it says but I wanted to for telling the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 06:19 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,437,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
No I am not ready for that many people. Just look at the past 40 years-we gained 100 million people. If it weren't for immigration-both legal and illegal, we would have LOST population-which looking at the way our country is now would have been fine with me. 100 million people in 40 years is way too much for any country to handle. I don't care if they all come legally, assimilate and want to be Americans-it is still too much. No wonder our country is in the mess it is.

Nicolem
Nic, You have justified what I say to my coworkers as a joke. 25 years ago when I first started working downtown (Chicago) I loved the excitement. I enjoyed the sights and sounds, people were friendly, orderly, and courteous. There was the unspoken rule if you are walking north you stayed to your right and if headed south you stayed on the left. Back then everything and everybody spoke English and it was a sane and civilized environment.

Now? People walk down the streets in groups, everybody has a cell phone, their own language and zero manners. They drag luggage, they bump you, sometimes inadvertently kick you and every body is in their own little world in a hurry to go no where yesterday. I am so grateful for the days that I can work from home. The insanity of it all is just that. My joke about it being like rush hour in China is no longer funny.

Thank God I won't be here in 50 years. I'm already grieving for my poor son though.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,351,189 times
[quote=JDubsMom;4866921]Nic, You have justified what I say to my coworkers as a joke. 25 years ago when I first started working downtown (Chicago) I loved the excitement. I enjoyed the sights and sounds, people were friendly, orderly, and courteous. There was the unspoken rule if you are walking north you stayed to your right and if headed south you stayed on the left. Back then everything and everybody spoke English and it was a sane and civilized environment.

Now? People walk down the streets in groups, everybody has a cell phone, their own language and zero manners. They drag luggage, they bump you, sometimes inadvertently kick you and every body is in their own little world in a hurry to go no where yesterday. I am so grateful for the days that I can work from home. The insanity of it all is just that. My joke about it being like rush hour in China is no longer funny.

Yes, all I can do to comfort myself is knowing that I might die before all this happens, because I'm pushing 60 now. I would HATE to live in a world like China and India. I'd like it to be like when I was born, and there were only 150 million people in the U.S. That was nice.

I don't understand why our government doesn't do something about overpopulation, why it is not a HUGE priority.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM

[quote=cousinsal;4867982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Nic, You have justified what I say to my coworkers as a joke. 25 years ago when I first started working downtown (Chicago) I loved the excitement. I enjoyed the sights and sounds, people were friendly, orderly, and courteous. There was the unspoken rule if you are walking north you stayed to your right and if headed south you stayed on the left. Back then everything and everybody spoke English and it was a sane and civilized environment.

Yes, all I can do to comfort myself is knowing that I might die before all this happens, because I'm pushing 60 now. I would HATE to live in a world like China and India. I'd like it to be like when I was born, and there were only 150 million people in the U.S. That was nice.

I don't understand why our government doesn't do something about overpopulation, why it is not a HUGE priority.
So would I and ITA. When I die they will determine the cause of my death as "nostalgic for America."

As for our government doing anything about it? As long as they aren't affected by any of this and can profit from the misery of others, they are perfectly content to do so.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:38 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,494,533 times
It is time to slow down legal immigration and completely prevent as much of the illegal immigration as possible if we want to have a sustainable future in this country.

We need to have a moratorium on legal immigration for at least 40 years.

We have enough people already.

If we closed of immigration completely our population would be no more than 345 million by 2050 instead of 439 million. That would make a huge difference in our future quality of life in the United States.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,895,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
It is time to slow down legal immigration and completely prevent as much of the illegal immigration as possible if we want to have a sustainable future in this country.

We need to have a moratorium on legal immigration for at least 40 years.

We have enough people already.

If we closed of immigration completely our population would be no more than 345 million by 2050 instead of 439 million. That would make a huge difference in our future quality of life in the United States.
The cheap labor advocates want unlimited immigration. To them there should be no quality of life, no wide open spaces, they don't care that there are now five families living in one home. Roads and highways here have never been in worse shape but they want to congest them much more.

As long as there's a quick dollar for slum lords, corporations with janitors sleeping on the floors in the backs of stores that cost less than Americans, they will push hard to import millions of people.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,813,019 times
You know what's funny?

It's only a matter of time before the people who are for adding more and more people to this country change their minds.

By the time our country reaches 800 million, they'll start to regret how they felt before. So secretly, they really agree with us, they just want to be politically correct.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You know what's funny?

It's only a matter of time before the people who are for adding more and more people to this country change their minds.

By the time our country reaches 800 million, they'll start to regret how they felt before. So secretly, they really agree with us, they just want to be politically correct.
The more people I talk to the numbers are indeed increasing. As you stated, many are hesitant to publicly state their true feelings about this travesty. Those marches were a gift from God.

That being said slowly but surely with all the murders, rapes, identity theft and other criminal activity finally being reported no matter who assumes the role of POTUS, there will be no amnesty.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:48 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,235,111 times
Quote:
The more people I talk to the numbers are indeed increasing. As you stated, many are hesitant to publicly state their true feelings about this travesty. Those marches were a gift from God.

That being said slowly but surely with all the murders, rapes, identity theft and other criminal activity finally being reported no matter who assumes the role of POTUS, there will be no amnesty.
That was definitely a boneheaded move back in 2006 when those fools had their illegal immigrants' 'rights' marches----------and, I am being polite.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:24 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,353,646 times
Quote:

There will be amnesty wait and see. It will be a great day for the America's combine them all into one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration