Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,548,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The chart shows obesity, not wealth. Again, so much for your "poor starving Mexicans" theory.

Thanks for your invitation to take a drive through Mexico - but I think I'll pass. If I ever want to get a "feel" for what a cesspool Mexico is, I can just drive through the Valley or Santa Ana.
Charts and stats rarely tell the whole story, and I think you're intelligent enough to know that. The small percentage of rich in Mexico are very rich. The poor are extremely poor and they're the majority. The middle class is much smaller than it is here. If it were a wealthy nation I doubt it would be considered 3rd world.

Easy to pass judgment when you haven't been there or seen the conditions yourself. You're right, they're all fat and happy down there... wonder why they have to come here for work? This is almost comical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,465,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Charts and stats rarely tell the whole story, and I think you're intelligent enough to know that. The small percentage of rich in Mexico are very rich. The poor are extremely poor and they're the majority. The middle class is much smaller than it is here. If it were a wealthy nation I doubt it would be considered 3rd world.

Easy to pass judgment when you haven't been there or seen the conditions yourself. You're right, they're all fat and happy down there... wonder why they have to come here for work?
You keep skipping the point - OBESITY in Mexico ranks 2nd in the world. How freakin' fat are those few elites to bring their national average up to 2nd in the WORLD, when all those poor peasants are on the brink of death...

Again, YOU need to get out and see OTHER places than Mexico, where people really are starving to death. Then perhaps you will see the poverty in Mexico in a different light. But I doubt even then you will find your objectivity.

BTW, how do you know a single thing about me? You say it's easy to pass judgment from your self-righteous stance, and then judge me in the next breath by assuming I have never been there or seen the conditions for myself. Don't you think you are getting a bit carried away in how you assume things about people in this forum?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You keep skipping the point - OBESITY in Mexico ranks 2nd in the world. How freakin' fat are those few elites to bring their national average up to 2nd in the WORLD, when all those poor peasants are on the brink of death...

Again, YOU need to get out and see OTHER places than Mexico, where people really are starving to death. Then perhaps you will see the poverty in Mexico in a different light. But I doubt even then you will find your objectivity.

BTW, how do you know a single thing about me? You say it's easy to pass judgment from your self-righteous stance, and then judge me in the next breath by assuming I have never been there or seen the conditions for myself. Don't you think you are getting a bit carried away in how you assume things about people in this forum?
I based my reply off of your statement - there wasn't much of an assumption involved:
Quote:
Thanks for your invitation to take a drive through Mexico - but I think I'll pass.
Did I take your statement wrong? How much of Mexico have you seen?

So you truly believe Mexico is not full of poverty and struggling people? Seriously?

How would my seeing other places where more people are starving make me view the poor areas of Mexico as less poor? Are they starving to death? Maybe not as much as in other parts of the world. Are they struggling enough to the point of desperation? According to you, no.

Where's your objectivity? You keep referencing one chart - a chart that has plenty of talking points in itself. Does that mean that since Japan and Switzerland are near the bottom of the list that their citizens are dirt poor and can't afford to eat? Is that why they're not obese? Don't insult our intelligence like that.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I based my reply off of your statement - there wasn't much of an assumption involved:
Did I take your statement wrong? How much of Mexico have you seen?

So you truly believe Mexico is not full of poverty and struggling people? Seriously?

How would my seeing other places where more people are starving make me view the poor areas of Mexico as less poor? Are they starving to death? Maybe not as much as in other parts of the world. Are they struggling enough to the point of desperation? According to you, no.

Where's your objectivity? You keep referencing one chart - a chart that has plenty of talking points in itself. Does that mean that since Japan and Switzerland are near the bottom of the list that their citizens are dirt poor and can't afford to eat? Is that why they're not obese? Don't insult our intelligence like that.
Because I declined an invitation to Mexico means I have never been there. I can see how no assumption was need on your part. You win, I will no longer insult your vast intelligence, oh mighty one.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Because I declined an invitation to Mexico means I have never been there. I can see how no assumption was need on your part. You win, I will no longer insult your vast intelligence, oh mighty one.
And yet, you answered none of my questions or touched on none of the points I brought up... nevertheless, I enjoy the sarcasm.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,596,807 times
Quote:

Easy to pass judgment when you haven't been there or seen the conditions yourself. You're right, they're all fat and happy down there... wonder why they have to come here for work? This is almost comical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris
And yet, you answered none of my questions or touched on none of the points I brought up... nevertheless, I enjoy the sarcasm.
Looking at the post she responded to I don't see any 'points' or 'questions' to be addressed, do you?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Looking at the post she responded to I don't see any 'points' or 'questions' to be addressed, do you?
Only the ones with question marks... they're were ten of them, only 6 or so were real questions. It looks like you quoted the wrong post. It doesn't really matter though. The sarcasm was answer enough.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Only the ones with question marks... they're were ten of them, only 6 or so were real questions. It looks like you quoted the wrong post. It doesn't really matter though. The sarcasm was answer enough.
I got to your first point - which was you jumping to conclusions yet again - and I stopped there. What point is there in discussing anything with an individual who has already decided you are wrong, fills in the gaps from the facts at hand to fill in the (false) picture he has already conjured up in his mind, and throws accusations and insults around like it's nobody's business?

Your self-righteous indignation and holier-than-thou attitude must be really endearing to the people you spend time with IRL. I'm sooo jealous.

So if you'll forgive me, I would prefer not to engage in any discourse with you until you get off your high horse.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I got to your first point - which was you jumping to conclusions yet again - and I stopped there. What point is there in discussing anything with an individual who has already decided you are wrong, fills in the gaps from the facts at hand to fill in the (false) picture he has already conjured up in his mind, and throws accusations and insults around like it's nobody's business?

Your self-righteous indignation and holier-than-thou attitude must be really endearing to the people you spend time with IRL. I'm sooo jealous.

So if you'll forgive me, I would prefer not to engage in any discourse with you until you get off your high horse.
Funny, that's pretty much what I've been met with from you and a few others. You made a sarcastic comment when I mentioned I had family in Mexico, as if any points I've made should be instantly discredited because of that alone. You use obesity as a stat to prove that poverty isn't an issue or even part of the problem. I questioned that stat's relevancy and you replied to the sarcasm in my reply, which was merely a response to yours in the previous post. So how are you not perfectly describing yourself with the statement quoted above? You obviously think I'm wrong and won't stop insulting me.

I've given people credit when good points were made. I am not disagreeing with everything, only one or two points. Yet, instead of debating those points in a civil manner, I'm met with sarcasm and insults.

You're right though, there's really no point in continuing the debate. Some people are not debating, they're arguing and using personal attacks. I've allowed myself to stoop to their level on a couple of occasions and that never has any place in a civil debate.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Funny, that's pretty much what I've been met with from you and a few others. You made a sarcastic comment when I mentioned I had family in Mexico, as if any points I've made should be instantly discredited because of that alone. You use obesity as a stat to prove that poverty isn't an issue or even part of the problem. I questioned that stat's relevancy and you replied to the sarcasm in my reply, which was merely a response to yours in the previous post. So how are you not perfectly describing yourself with the statement quoted above? You obviously think I'm wrong and won't stop insulting me.

I've given people credit when good points were made. I am not disagreeing with everything, only one or two points. Yet, instead of debating those points in a civil manner, I'm met with sarcasm and insults.

You're right though, there's really no point in continuing the debate. Some people are not debating, they're arguing and using personal attacks. I've allowed myself to stoop to their level on a couple of occasions and that never has any place in a civil debate.
Still ridin' high, I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration