Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,422,095 times

Advertisements

Latino groups have resigned themselves that the Montgomery County Police Department will continue to enforce federal civil immigration warrants, despite the continued opposition within immigrant supporters.

"They won't change it, so we have to live with it," said Henry Montes, co-chairman of Leggett's Latin American Advisory Group.
"I think there's still some question about what some to the things may mean in terms of being carried out. We feel it might be open to interpretation to officers on the street. … Somehow or another, they should have an evaluation system to it. It's kind of difficult to say this will work in the rank and file."

A month ago, copies of the draft police policy began circulating in which police would continue enforcing civil immigration warrants, called detainers.

Anti-illegal immigration advocates were dissatisfied because they wanted a full-fledge crackdown. Immigrant advocates called on county leaders to reverse course because the policy was damaging trust of the police within the immigrant community.

Immigrant advocates see hard road ahead

That's right racists for whom race trumps everything. It's the law, live with it or get out and take your "my Faves" illegal alien friends and family with you. Hooray for the rule of law!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 02:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,571,155 times
Good grief. Now help me understand. People are afraid of the police b/c the police might inquire about their status as citizens. Hmmmm.

I am trying to comprehend this. Tell me if I have this right. I decide to sneak over Switzerland's border and set up shop as a massage therapist in Switzerland. I live there for several years, knowing that the moment a policeman stops me and asks for proof of my citizenship, I will get deported. I believe I would avoid policemen.

I don't get it. ???? People in Montgomery are complaining b/c illegals are afraid of policemen? Uh, well . . . seems like they SHOULD be.

Am I missing something here?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,159,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good grief. Now help me understand. People are afraid of the police b/c the police might inquire about their status as citizens. Hmmmm.

I am trying to comprehend this. Tell me if I have this right. I decide to sneak over Switzerland's border and set up shop as a massage therapist in Switzerland. I live there for several years, knowing that the moment a policeman stops me and asks for proof of my citizenship, I will get deported. I believe I would avoid policemen.

I don't get it. ???? People in Montgomery are complaining b/c illegals are afraid of policemen? Uh, well . . . seems like they SHOULD be.

If you were a fugitive, wouldn't you be afraid of the police as well? Same logic.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,891 times
I understand a lot of illegals have left the US, probably due to actions by ICE and others, plus all the talk about our doing something about illegals. Plus there is the wall...

Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
If you were a fugitive, wouldn't you be afraid of the police as well? Same logic.
Uh, yeah, wh/ was the point of my post. If you don't want to fear policemen, then don't do something illegal - such as sneaking over another country's border. DUH. People who are afraid are afraid b/c they are HERE ILLEGALLY.

My point is: this is a non-issue and a non-story. People who fear governmental authorities fear them b/c they are hiding their illegal status.

We are supposed to feel BADLY about this???? Last time I checked, people who are breaking laws SHOULD fear getting picked up by the police.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:40 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,338,488 times
Quote:

I know are we supposed to feel sorry that lawbreakers are fearful because the law might be enforced?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I understand a lot of illegals have left the US, probably due to actions by ICE and others, plus all the talk about our doing something about illegals. Plus there is the wall...
There may be some portion of illegals who are going back home . . . but the cameras at the borders have not caught a big flood of illegals running back across the border. They are still crossing the borders illegally daily. And not just to work. We are finding drug runners crossing over regularly, too. And plenty of criminals, as well. I am sure about the criminals b/c we keep catching them here in my state.

Let's say we "only" have 10 M illegals in this country. That is 200,000 per state. We estimate there are at least 400,000 illegals in NC. There would have to be a lot of people vacating NC to get 400,000 illegals outta here in a timely fashion.

So perhaps some illegals are going back to cross the border into their native country . . . but I don't see a big exodus here in NC.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,891 times
Quote:
Let's say we "only" have 10 M illegals in this country. That is 200,000 per state. We estimate there are at least 400,000 illegals in NC. There would have to be a lot of people vacating NC to get 400,000 illegals outta here in a timely fashion.

So perhaps some illegals are going back to cross the border into their native country . . . but I don't see a big exodus here in NC.
Right! I'd like to see them taxed. If enough people wanted it to happen, it would.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:41 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,422,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Right! I'd like to see them taxed. If enough people wanted it to happen, it would.
Whatever taxes they paid, because they are low wage earners, EIC kicks in and their net value as taxpayers? ZERO. Personally, I don't want to live in a 3rd world over populated cesspool of a country and would prefer they get deported or self deport. Enough with the compromises, we don't owe them any form of reward because they crawled through a hole in our border fence undetected.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,346,878 times
Quote:
There may be some portion of illegals who are going back home . . . but the cameras at the borders have not caught a big flood of illegals running back across the border. They are still crossing the borders illegally daily. And not just to work. We are finding drug runners crossing over regularly, too. And plenty of criminals, as well. I am sure about the criminals b/c we keep catching them here in my state.

---------

I don't think illegal's have gone anywhere if anything more here but silent now not like the demonstration's of the past.

Mexican's have La Raza which is loud and has it's agenda Cuban's have Cuban Federation which is no different .
The other group's are growing but low key .

Mexican's were recently the loudest ,demonstrated out in the open .
Other group's about to do just that learned NOT to.

You have many coming daily from other countries with no intention of leaving .
Most come via plane ,ship as can't cross the border . They are the silent group's but growing.

Come to "visit" and never leave .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration