Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 AM

486 posts, read 984,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
You know it's kind of funny because the whole point of the forum
is to help people decide what places they could move to etc, that could
improve their lives and that they would enjoy living in. I live
in a tourist place with lot's of immigrants and I was just thinking
the other day that, that's why they have moved to the United States.
To improve their lives. The ones that are here in the desert work
hard and are law abiding. I mean there are bad apples everywhere
.... what about the white trash meth users that are "ruining" everywhere.
Yes, there are some bad elements of the immigrants from Mexico
but I would bet they are a very small percent compared as a whole.
I'm sure there are area's in La etc where you see mostly the bad
elements but those are area's where there are bad elements of all
races and ethnicity. I don't dislike people for the color of their skin
or where they come from. There are good and bad in all,and
for me it's hard to dislike someone who's just trying to move their
family to a better place. It's like the people in Oregon hating Californians...
It's pretty arrogant I think on their part. I've lived in California 46 years and
I've seen every town I've lived in explode with growth. Yes, I don't like
the changes but it's to be expected. I can't expect to "own" my town
and keep all other new comers out. After all .... we're all newcomers
sometime or somewhere. Even if it's just being born into a town.
Oh, and I wonder how many of us,if we had been born in Mexico would
be trying to figure out a way to get our families and ourselves here to the US.
I consider myself lucky to live in such a great place as the United States where
others risk their lives to cross the border to work manual jobs making
less than minimum wage.
beautifully put!
That's exactly why I joined the site to learn about neighborhoods from those who live there and choose one that would fit me and my situation. You are 100% right, there are bad apples in every community and to blame someone based on skin color or descent is wrong. Thanks for the well written reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Hey, at least the Irish are white and they would be willing to speak English!!! I'd much rather have an infiltration of the Irish than hispanics, who refuse to assimmilate at all... :-)
RedWingsFan, last time I checked not all hispanics "refuse to assimilate" many speak english, came here legally and are highly educated. I hate it when people generalize and speak when they don't even know what they are talking about!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
RedWingsFan, last time I checked not all hispanics "refuse to assimilate" many speak english, came here legally and are highly educated. I hate it when people generalize and speak when they don't even know what they are talking about!
Who here has a problem with legal hispanics who speak english?
I hate it when pro illegals will take any and all statements that condemn illegal immigration and turn it into a race issue.
Like you the color of the skin is a non factor for me. Nor is the race, gender or country of origin. The issue is the total lack of respect for our laws. The complete lack of appreciation for the services illegals steal from us. Refusal to assimulate is in fact a choice that many illegals make as well as some legals. Someone said its hard to learn a new language. It is a challenge but not impossible. Spanish and english have more than a few common roots. Try learning an asian Language which has little or nothing in common with english. I did at age 42. Not impossible but it is a challenge. Illegals don't seem to have difficulties over coming the challenge of entering illegally, finding fact ID's and a plave to live. Perhaps if they applied some of that determination into assimulating they would have fewer problems.
Like it or not all illegals are criminals. No illegals not even 1 can be considered honest as long as they knowingly violate our laws.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I hate it when pro illegals will take any and all statements that condemn illegal immigration and turn it into a race issue.
Like you the color of the skin is a non factor for me. Nor is the race, gender or country of origin. The issue is the total lack of respect for our laws. The complete lack of appreciation for the services illegals steal from us. Refusal to assimulate is in fact a choice that many illegals make as well as some legals. Someone said its hard to learn a new language. It is a challenge but not impossible. Spanish and english have more than a few common roots. Try learning an asian Language which has little or nothing in common with english. I did at age 42. Not impossible but it is a challenge. Illegals don't seem to have difficulties over coming the challenge of entering illegally, finding fact ID's and a plave to live. Perhaps if they applied some of that determination into assimulating they would have fewer problems.
Like it or not all illegals are criminals. No illegals not even 1 can be considered honest as long as they knowingly violate our laws.
Note how I NEVER said I'm pro or anti-illegal immigration, you are assuming this. I have not turned anything into an ethic or race issue, the original thread I replied to was offensive to me because it was stereotypical of an ethic group. By saying that hispanics are "Non-english speaking and non-assimilating". That was the point I was making, nothing else, no hidden pro-illegal immigration agenda. I don't think that anything gives anyone "free license" go around stereotyping others. by the way, I take offense when any race, for any reason is stereotyped this is not only for latinos I would also raise this point for any other race, religion, national origin, location, etc, etc, etc... That said, I do think that if you wish to live and stay in the US is necessary to learn the language, but that is just common sense.

Last edited by gf1025; 12-17-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,647 times
Stop tip-toeing, mincing words and sugar-coating this issue!!!

Prison stats in every U.S. city are a factual, real time and indisputable cross-section.

Over %70 of the average prison population, most wanted list and those with warrants or "charges pending" are hispanic mexican immigrants...both legal and illegal. These facts are indisputable.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,787,395 times
Top 5 reasons I love Illegal Immigrants....

5. I love watching them spray gang graffiti that not one person can understand on every flat surface.

4. I love watching them cook food in fancy yuppie restaurants with out ever washing their hands...

3. It's fun to watch them steal garden equipment from my liberal neighbors while calling it "work"...

2. I love watching them strut and posture everywhere they go acting like being an Illegal Immigrant is simply the most macho the coolest most respectable thing a person could ever be...

and the number one reason I love Illegal Immigrants...

Because they make going to the Department of Motor Vehicles such an interesting experience!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Stop tip-toeing, mincing words and sugar-coating this issue!!!

Prison stats in every U.S. city are a factual, real time and indisputable cross-section.

Over %70 of the average prison population, most wanted list and those with warrants or "charges pending" are hispanic mexican immigrants...both legal and illegal. These facts are indisputable.
Where did you see this statistic? According to FACTS found on articles that I will link below this is not the truth:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/117049.php
"Pettit said well-documented facts - one in 100 Americans is behind bars in 2008, about 2.4 million people currently are incarcerated and nearly 60 percent of young black males who dropped out of high school have served time in jail - don't seem to register with Americans. "
California:
Although, the percentage of latinos in prision there is higher, it is not 70%
http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2006/08/whos_in_prison.html
Oregon:
http://safetyandjustice.org/info/or/story/306
I could go on, but I think we have gone complitely out of topic from the original thread and thats unfair.

By the way, for all of you wondering, No I'm NOT Mexican, nor Mexican-American, so this is not out of personal offense, just in the name of truth and the facts.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
To whom it may concern: 'Hispanic' is a political label only----------there is no Hispanic race on a genetic level.

A typical Spaniard from Spain is closer racially to an Englishman (or Irishman, etc) than to a stereotypical 'brown' Mexican.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,288,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A few people. You guys speak for each other too much. Just because you don't feel that way, doesn't mean there aren't people on your side who do, and have made it clear on here before.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
A few people. You guys speak for each other too much. Just because you don't feel that way, doesn't mean there aren't people on your side who do, and have made it clear on here before.
Valid point. Some on here are less than charitable too hispanics. ( Was I being polite)? But even those who dislike hispanics in general have stated that their problem isn't with the legal hispanics in general but with those legal hispanics who faciltate and support the illegals within their communities.
But you do make a valid point...
gf1025 I quoted you not so much because I disagreed with you but because of the phrase in your post. I hate when_______. I hate when any post is turned into a race issue was my point. Not that you nessasarily said such a thing. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration