Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:50 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Okay, my turn to fan flames I guess....

My grandparents immigrated here many years ago (legally, thank you). They moved to Chicago and immediately began to assimilate. My grandma joined several ladies groups in the area and began to learn her 3rd language. (spanish and german already being spoken)

When my father was born, he was a bit of a hooligan .... enjoying the good life. After getting in trouble as a teenager a judge offered to let him enter the navy instead of going to jail. My dad accepted and told me until the day he died over 50 yrs later that the navy was the very best thing that could have ever happened to him.

My dad learned an appreciation of culture and respect that carried him through the rest of his life. When I was born, my father would not allow me to speak any language but English. I resented this a little but my family life was so rich. We traveled around the country on a regular basis, learning more about others and seeing things that opened our minds.

We have kept our cultural identity, but to most hispanics I am far too "white" to be accepted. I resent this strongly, I am who I am.

My father gave me a strong work ethic and a sense of pride in self and community. I see the gap between those who came here legally and those who did not.

Like our native white trash, ghetto people etc., the ones who came illegally seem to have no thought other than "what can I get out of this". There does not seem to be any attempt to give back to the community they are taking from.

I lived in the Little Italy part of Chicago growing up. The homes were and are painfully neat and well tended. If a neighbor is ill, others help out with mowing lawns or whatever. When a neighbor is less than active in taking part in the upkeep of their domicile, others approach this person and explain to them that this is unacceptable behavior.

Contast this to what you see in most parts of So. Cal.....

People who didn't have to work for what they have (of any race) simply do not appreciate and have no respect for what others have fought and struggled for.

Anyway, that is my piece.
------------
Good post I agree . It seem's the America OWES ME and America MUST GIVE ME FOR FREE thinking is the new trend .
By new I am going to say last 10 yrs.

I have not been to S.Cal but living in S.Florida I see it.
The new bunch coming here illegal and resident card holders have a horrible attitude .

Not all but but a huge chunck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration