Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times

Advertisements

There is an Italian restaurant here in the suburb of Ft. Worth where I live that was shut down back when it was "a day without illegals." Shut down in support of the marches. The service in this restaurant was bad and the portions were tiny. Once, they actually served me the main course before the hors d'oeuvres and didn't even apologize even though it was a 30 minute wait.

It changed hands quickly after that, probably because it was losing business. I ate there recently and the wait staff and management are all American citizens. The dining experience is far more pleasurable and the service is much better.

Suffice to say that I left them a decent tip and promised to return.

Last edited by Synopsis; 09-01-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 02:15 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
There is an Italian restaurant here in the suburb of Ft. Worth where I live that was shut down back when it was "a day without illegals." Shut down in support of the marches. The service in this restaurant was bad and the portions were tiny. Once, they actually served me the main course before the hors d'oeuvres and didn't even apologize even though it was a 30 minute wait.

It changed hands quickly after that, probably because it was losing business. I ate there recently and the wait staff and management are all American citizens. The dining experience is far more pleasurable and the service is much better.
Hopefully, this will soon become the norm again.

Last edited by Synopsis; 09-01-2008 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: my bad spelling

Old 09-01-2008, 03:40 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,964 times
Okay, wait a minute. I'm still stuck on one part of the OP. She was able to buy a Social Security card at Wal-Mart, or did she buy it from someone and they both happened to be a Wal-Mart?

Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Okay, wait a minute. I'm still stuck on one part of the OP. She was able to buy a Social Security card at Wal-Mart, or did she buy it from someone and they both happened to be a Wal-Mart?
You are not alone. As I was reading the OP, I was thinking, I know WalMart is known for selling a lot of stuff but when did they add SS cards, how much are they ringing up for and are they tax free?

Here's hoping that we are both just a little crazy.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:52 PM

Heck ya, and they even lowered the price!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Heck ya, and they even lowered the price!
Wow . . .just wow. I was kidding Synopsis, tell me it ain't so. Rep points coming your way!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM

The thing is, they do get what they pay for...

Old 09-01-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
The thing is, they do get what they pay for...
Comedic gold . . thanks!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,614 times
Quote:

Curious.. You actually went around the entire restaraunt staff and asked if they were American citizens? Also I don't see the difference between having illegals working and that correlation with portion size, I just don't .

Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Curious.. You actually went around the entire restaraunt staff and asked if they were American citizens? Also I don't see the difference between having illegals working and that correlation with portion size, I just don't .
If you read my earlier post I said that the restaurant had shut down on the "day without immigrants." That, and the fact that none of the wait staff spoke hardly any English would lead one to believe that they were not legal residents of this country.

Also, if the owner had a staff that was majority illegal, he did it to save money, pure and simple. Small portion sizes would also be a means to that end.

Last edited by Synopsis; 09-02-2008 at 04:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration