Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I completely understand where you're coming from.

Maybe it's just me. I just feel like I've had to prove myself to people throughout my life. I'm college educated and like to think that I'm well spoken. I also live in the capital city of my state and there's a heavy latino population here where we're all categorized as all being baby breeding, lazy welfare recipients who choose not to work and milk the system.

I worked extremely hard to get to where I am today. I pay my taxes, bills and work just like everyone else.

One thing though, is i look at every negative as something possitive coming out of it. It's because of my struggles that made me the person I am today.
I applaud your accomplishments but I notice you have left out a very important factor: Whether or not you are here illegally? I ask this not because I wish to denigrate you or all that you have accomplished but your status is a determining factor in how I respond.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I applaud your accomplishments but I notice you have left out a very important factor: Whether or not you are here illegally? I ask this not because I wish to denigrate you or all that you have accomplished but your status is a determining factor in how I respond.
My father was absent - never met him. He's Italian. I was raised by my mother who's Puerto Rican.

To answer your question, yes I'm legal.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
My father was absent - never met him. He's Italian. I was raised by my mother who's Puerto Rican.

To answer your question, yes I'm legal.
Thanks for answering that question, because I realize you didn't have to.

That being said:

As a young black child I, witnessed and marched in the civil rights movement. Not sure how old you are but I'm sure that you at least read about what my people endured just to be considered human beings with equal rights in America post slavery era. Throughout my life I have experienced racial injustice in the workplace, and in various other situations. America was built on the premise of slavery and one race being superior to all others. There is good and bad in every race and ethnicity and it is important that you remember that you have accomplished that which makes you superior in the human race.

Do not get offended by what people say about the negative behaviors of those that are not yours. You are not your race, you are an individual of that race. Continue to work hard and achieve your goals. Hold your head up high because you have every right to be proud of yourself.

If it means anything at all I am very proud of you.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM

I have a different way of thinking than most people.

I'd like to believe we're all from one race, which is the human race. I believe there's good and bad in everyone.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilani vasquez View Post
i have a different way of thinking than most people.

I'd like to believe we're all from one race, which is the human race. I believe there's good and bad in everyone.
Indeed there is and ITA.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Indeed there is and ITA.

LOL...forgive me...what does "ITA" mean?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
LOL...forgive me...what does "ITA" mean?
Sorry, that means "I totally agree".

Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Californio is a reasonable poster, and reads both sides even as we all disagree. My question to you then, is why does there seem to be an emphasis on quantity of life rather than quality of life amongst amongst this culture? Families would have far better chances for improvement of everything that matters in living life if there were less children for which to pay. The majority of Catholic families of my own acquaintance do not have large families, although granted most are American born.

I actually refute amc's claim from personal observation that "immigrants from anywhere don't learn English but their kids do." Not where I live, L.A., illegal immigrants central. It's predominantly the latino families that retain, occasionally, generations of non-English speakers, not people from other parts of the globe.
Why would you use a place where there allegedly is a lot of illegal immigrants, to support your claim that Latino families retain Spanish for "generations"?
If they are illegal immigrants, they havent been here for generations. They are recent arrivals.

There are plenty of Mexican-Americans on this forum, and we're all talking English on here. We're not some weird anomaly, its pretty much the rule.

Youre talking about one neighborhood in the valley, where you think its packed with illegal immigrants.
Im talking about neighborhoods in Los Angeles, San Diego, Fresno, Salinas, Phoenix, El Paso, etc etc.
The only reason Spanish-only is so prevalent, is because as this forum points out clearly, people are still arriving.

Also, your view comes from "observation". Youre 'observing' Mexicans talking Spanish, and you draw this conclusion. I grew up with this. Just because you hear someone talking Spanish on the street doesn't mean they don't talk English. Also, you dont know if youre seeing a new arrival, or someone who has been here for "generations". The vast majority of my family, except for the younger generations, speak Spanish along with English. They speak English perfectly, for most of them its their first language, but for some reason thats beyond me, they sometimes choose to converse in Spanish.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Indeed there is and ITA.
You ITA??

Thats a relief JDubs.

So theres as much good and bad in Mexicans as there are in say, White Americans?
Are they truly the same?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
You ITA??

Thats a relief JDubs.

So theres as much good and bad in Mexicans as there are in say, White Americans?
Are they truly the same?
Whether you believe it or not for me and the majority of us who side against illegal immigration this is not about race. I don't see people in technicolor. I see good and bad, right and wrong.

I am very close to an American family of Mexican descent. Their oldest son and my son have been best friends since the 3rd grade, both are now in college. All 5 of their kids are my kids. My son is their son and we are a close knit family who participate and celebrate the events in each others' lives. I have friends and family of all races, some are biological family some aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.