Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,759,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The fact that he was hypocritically whining about the replacement of his illegal alien raza AND lying about their non-existent humility, clearly screams traitor even if he is an American of Mexican descent:

Why does it make him a traitor?? He's just an American making a complaint in the workplace.
"his illegal alien raza"? Youre making this into a race issue.

Why do you assume he has anything to do with illegal aliens? He's a 70 something year old citizen.

And youre highlighting that quote as if he said that.
Quote:
many of them to fill jobs once held by Latino workers taken away in immigration raids.
The writer said that! Its pretty easy to comprehend.

But thats pretty much the formula here, right? If a Latino-American has a complaint, he's automatically tied to "the illegal alien raza". Theres another thread about White-Americans being opposed to Somalian immigrants. Is that "pay back" too? Is that "what they get"?
In this case, it was Mexican-AMERICAN, so its "payback" for the illegals? It doesn't make sense.

Last edited by amc760; 10-18-2008 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
The fact that he was hypocritically whining about the replacement of his illegal alien raza AND lying about their non-existent humility, clearly screams traitor even if he is an American of Mexican descent:
No doubt, many of his illegal alien friends and relatives were caught in the raid. It's only human nature that he and the other Latinos would resent their replacements. The fact that the replacements were not Hispanic, only added insult to injury.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,424,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No doubt, many of his illegal alien friends and relatives were caught in the raid. It's only human nature that he and the other Latinos would resent their replacements. The fact that the replacements were not Hispanic, only added insult to injury.
Exactly because for him like so many of them race trumps everything.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:14 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,770,319 times
It is important to disassociate "Latino" from being synonymous with "Illegal Alien". I hate Polotical Correctness, but for conversation's sake, Latino is too vague a word to be used in place of illegal immigrant. Just say "illegals" or "illegal aliens" or "migrant workers" but not Latinos or Hispanics...

Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
It is important to disassociate "Latino" from being synonymous with "Illegal Alien". I hate Polotical Correctness, but for conversation's sake, Latino is too vague a word to be used in place of illegal immigrant. Just say "illegals" or "illegal aliens" or "migrant workers" but not Latinos or Hispanics...
I commend you for stepping up to make that distinction, but theyre actually being pretty specific in discussing an elderly American man of Mexican descent.

Quote:
Exactly because for him like so many of them race trumps everything.
The "them" in that quote isn't talking about illegals, but Latinos.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:21 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
Please indicate where I used Latino or Hispanic to represent illegal aliens.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Please indicate where I used Latino or Hispanic to represent illegal aliens.
Exactly.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,424,832 times
Quote:
I think you should be having that conversation with the vast majority of legal latino's, and their ethnocentric representatives (LaRaza, Lulac, Maldef), all of who continue to support, march with and demand amnesty for illegal aliens. As long as they deliberately lump themselves together because they share a race/ethnicity they have no one to blame but themselves.

ETA: For the record, those of us on this board who are against illegal immigration refer to them as ILLEGAL ALIENS.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 10-18-2008 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I think you should be having that conversation with the vast majority of legal latino's, and their ethnocentric representative (LaRaza, Lulac, Maldef, and the millions of Americans of hispanic descent who continue to support, march with and demand amnesty for illegal aliens. As long as they deliberately lump themselves together because they share a race/ethnicity they have no one to blame but themselves.
Anything other than you guys practicing your own self-control, right?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,679,859 times
Quote:
We'll have to simply agree to disagree. I don't believe his discomfort is due to their religion, or preferential treatment. I believe his discomfort is solely due to the fact that they aren't Latino. This is what I consider hypocrisy.
agree to disagree? no, im tryin not to continue to make asinine assumptions.

you have no evidence. except that what you would like to believe suits your particular agenda!

you are lumping a whole group together. this guy cant have his own thoughts and ideas about other people simply because he is latino...

as a worker he has a right to show his discomfort with a worker asking for special religious treatment. thats what this issue is about. you want to make it about something else because that is more artillery in your "latinos are hypocrites" arsenal.

let his guy have his say, and dont try to physcoanylize it. you dont know what his discomfort is, other than what was said in the article. I DONT EITHER.

thats pretty simple. but if you cant let that go. then there is not use to argue. but i do disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration