Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Are you sure about that? Youre saying NOBODY ELSE refers to themselves as Italian, Irish, Indian, Korean, etc?
There may be some who do but I would think most people would find that odd. If you are American -- would you tell someone who lives in Italy that you are Italian??? They'd think you were nuts.

I wonder if these people who know would cross over the border and tell the customs agents they were these other nationalities?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalosalcedo09 View Post
In this country you CANNOT have dual citizenship,
I agree with you but just so you know, you most certainly can have dual citizienship. I know many dual nationals. My son is one. You must enter and exit America on your American passport. There are other countries, such as Spain that do not allow Dual, but America is not one of them. Its just one of my biggest pet peeves, facts stated incorrectly. Like when my niece told me that I dont have the right to vote because I live abroad. Guessing doesnt make a fact.

But I very much agree that we are American, not English American or German American or Mexican American. We need to unite. This is for sure.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:55 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Ok, I am about fed up now with all this nonsense I see on this site. I am an American of Mexican descent (also known as Mexican Americans or Chicanos, but same meaning) and I, along with my parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc were born and raised in the USA and are proud of it. I also love and embrace my Mexican culture as well as my American culture. But whenever Mexican Americans are the topic about a certain story, how come everyone has to change the subject to immigration!? How dare you compare us to illegal immigrants! We are NOT immigrants in this country. And I know that there are Mexicans who come here legally and they are immigrants of course, but Mexican Americans are mostly born in the USA. Why are people too damn lazy to go and read a book before posting comments full of gibberish! Now of course my ancestors a LONG WAY back were from Mexico or were from the southwest USA when it was Mexico, but doesn't everyone in this country come from immigrants? The white people mostly came from Europe, the black people mostly came from Africa, and the rest came from different countries except the Native Americans, of course. My point is that we are no longer immigrants because we have generations of people that are US born and are Americans. I know the difference between African Americans and Africans from Africa, so why won't most of you know the difference between Mexican Americans and Mexicans from Mexico? There is no excuse at all to explain why people do this. Mexican Americans are rightfully Americans and can stand up and speak whenever they want to without anyone getting all angry. Most of us aren't even accepted by Mexicans in Mexico! And as I see it, we are not even accepted by our own Americans! What are we to do? Nobody knows how hard it is to be one uf us until you have lived in my shoes. I see discrimination and racism left and right and it is killing me! Just because I like Lowriders, I am thought of as an illegal gangster. Excuse me but the Lowrider is an American creation and was not invented in Mexico nor was invented by gangsters. When (for ONLY certain days like Cinco De Mayo, etc.) I carry an American flag with a Mexican flag, I am viewed as a racists and Un-American. Do I not have a right to embrace my other culture just for one day? I mean I know I am an American, but I cannot forget my Mexican heritage. Cesar Chavez, Selena Quintanilla Perez, Oscar De La Hoya, Carlos Santana, Tony Romo. These are all examples of American citizens, not illegal immigrants. So please the next time you see a person who looks Latino, don't view them as an immigrant (illegal or legal) because you don't know nothing about their background or where they were born. And don't act like you didn't have people from other countries in your family at one point in history. I have Mexican roots, but most importantly I am an American and I am proud of that.
I do agree with your words. How old are you, because those are the words of age and experience rather than youth and emotion.

To answer your question, most have been programed to believe that all illegals are Mexican, which we know is not true.

Also a large portion of America lives in areas where the Chicano presence is small to minimal. Here in Oklahoma I have been exposed to the Mexican culture for the last 5 decades and do realize that many have been here pan generational as have you. My wifes mothers family name is Rameriz and they are 5th generation Oklahomans, which means they were here before there was an Oklahoma............so please don't think all of us as loutish bores............

Old 10-22-2008, 07:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I would disagree that it's most people, but many certainly do. The most likely reason for this is pure, unadulterated racism. Some people simply have a special definition of "immigrant". To them, an "immigrant" is anyone who isn't white and comes from a non-Protestant background. Have you ever noticed how the word "immigrant" is applied only to people from third-world countries, but immigrants from Northern Europe are referred to as "expatriates" or "emigres"? Bigots call someone like you an "immigrant", but it's a label they'll never slap on a Brit who overstayed his tourist visa and worked illegally in a coffee shop (unless, of course, that Brit was backing Obama). They don't use the word "immigrant" in its original, neutral sense, but as an offensive epithet, a code word for a racial slur that, in your case, would start with an "S". They feel that replacing "s@#$%" with "immigrant" legitimizes their bigotry.

A few other observations I've made: These same folks also refer to anyone of Latin extraction as "Mexican". Some of them even refer to Spaniards as "Mexican". Mexican, Spanish, immigrant, illegal -- those terms are all used interchangeably.
Speak for yourself!

Legal immigrants I welcome to my country----------no matter where they hail from.

Illegal immigrants need to leave post haste-------------no matter their race/ethnicity.

Be very careful using that 'race card', my friend. I will throw it back in your face every time. Got it?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:56 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Be very careful using that 'race card', my friend. I will throw it back in your face every time. Got it?
*Shrug* Do whatever you want. Throw things, if you must -- beer mugs and the kitchen sink, whatever. I certainly won't shut up simply out of fear that you'll have a tantrum.

The claim that I am using a "race card" is ludicrous. My user name is a dead giveaway that I am as white as they come, so a "race card" certainly isn't what gets me by in life. I come from an ethnic community (a white, Scandinavian-looking one) that has a lot of illegal immigrants and a lot of crime, yet I don't see people on this board getting worked up about them. I do see lots of people conflating "illegal immigrant" with "Mexican" or "Hispanic". Perhaps it's not you, but many here and elsewhere certainly do. This pattern leads me to believe that, at the very least, race is indeed a big part of the picture, even if the racists won't say what's really on their mind; and perhaps, that this is not about immigration at all, but about race and ethnicity entirely. Using something legitimate on its surface to push an illicit agenda is nothing new, and it's not unique to this country. Religion, for example, has been used as a proxy for rabid nationalism since Joan of Arc. But, as I've hinted before, feel free to throw the Maid's rusted helmet right back at me, if you wish. My face can take it.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
*Shrug* Do whatever you want. Throw things, if you must -- beer mugs and the kitchen sink, whatever. I certainly won't shut up simply out of fear that you'll have a tantrum.

The claim that I am using a "race card" is ludicrous. My user name is a dead giveaway that I am as white as they come, so a "race card" certainly isn't what gets me by in life. I come from an ethnic community (a white, Scandinavian-looking one) that has a lot of illegal immigrants and a lot of crime, yet I don't see people on this board getting worked up about them. I do see lots of people conflating "illegal immigrant" with "Mexican" or "Hispanic". Perhaps it's not you, but many here and elsewhere certainly do. This pattern leads me to believe that, at the very least, race is indeed a big part of the picture, even if the racists won't say what's really on their mind; and perhaps, that this is not about immigration at all, but about race and ethnicity entirely. Using something legitimate on its surface to push an illicit agenda is nothing new, and it's not unique to this country. Religion, for example, has been used as a proxy for rabid nationalism since Joan of Arc. But, as I've hinted before, feel free to throw the Maid's rusted helmet right back at me, if you wish. My face can take it.

To me it's money first and culture second but it's financial by far. America cannot prop up other Countries financially the way they have been. The biggest financial drains to this Country are:
1. Free social services.
2. The loophole in the Constitution of birthright Citizenship.
3. The undercutting of labor by Illegal Immigrants.

Further down the list is the lack of assimilation by other cultures. It doesn't matter what Country they come from, they need to assimilate. Not second generation, not third generation -- FIRST GENERATION.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:

I stand by what I said.

Better a family of Mayan heritage from Oaxaca (Mexico) here legally vs. a Nordic White illegal from Sweden. BTW: I too am Nordic White in appearance.

Next!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
I stand by what I said.

Better a family of Mayan heritage from Oaxaca (Mexico) here legally vs. a Nordic White illegal from Sweden. BTW: I too am Nordic White in appearance.

Next!
What Bear said.....

Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
1. Free social services.
So is a lack of tax revenue that is often propped up by free social services. You need a cost-benefit analysis here.

Quote:
2. The loophole in the Constitution of birthright Citizenship.
Are you so sure it's a "loophole" and not what the Founding Fathers had intended? Even if it is a "loophole" -- fine, go ahead and amend the Constitution.

Quote:
3. The undercutting of labor by Illegal Immigrants.
The sewer-level quality of the American public education, corruption in the unions, and a culture of entitlement undercut labor a lot more.

Quote:
Further down the list is the lack of assimilation by other cultures. It doesn't matter what Country they come from, they need to assimilate. Not second generation, not third generation -- FIRST GENERATION.
Assimilation is not required as a prerequisite to a green card or even citizenship. In a country with a heterogeneous culture, such a requirement would not be practicable, and there are many instances in which having such a requirement would violate the First Amendment (you know, another one of those pesky "loopholes" in the Constitution). Whatever the case may be, illegal immigration has nothing to do with assimilation. Absolutely nothing. Legal immigrants don't have to assimilate and many don't. If assimilation is your concern, then you have a problem with immigration in general, not illegal immigration per se.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I stand by what I said.
So do I. I guess, no soup for me then, huh? I'll try and cope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration