Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,312,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Speak for yourself!

Legal immigrants I welcome to my country----------no matter where they hail from.

Illegal immigrants need to leave post haste-------------no matter their race/ethnicity.

Be very careful using that 'race card', my friend. I will throw it back in your face every time. Got it?
As always, spot on, Az Bear.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 PM

50,394 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
So is a lack of tax revenue that is often propped up by free social services. You need a cost-benefit analysis here.

For what? I can send you plenty of articles of ERs closing if you would like. The last thing you do in a recession is raise yet more taxes.

Are you so sure it's a "loophole" and not what the Founding Fathers had intended? Even if it is a "loophole" -- fine, go ahead and amend the Constitution.
As well we should as we are the only Country (or one of a couple) that still allows it.

The sewer-level quality of the American public education, corruption in the unions, and a culture of entitlement undercut labor a lot more.

I'm anti-Union but the one thing organized labor has done is raise wages for everyone. As far as school, NCLB has created an atmosphere where ESL students hold the entire class hostage while the teacher culls them from the herd and uses all their resource to bring their grades up. The rest of the class is on their own. I've donated enough of my time to various schools to know this is true.

Assimilation is not required as a prerequisite to a green card or even citizenship. In a country with a heterogeneous culture, such a requirement would not be practicable, and there are many instances in which having such a requirement would violate the First Amendment (you know, another one of those pesky "loopholes" in the Constitution). Whatever the case may be, illegal immigration has nothing to do with assimilation. Absolutely nothing. Legal immigrants don't have to assimilate and many don't. If assimilation is your concern, then you have a problem with immigration in general, not illegal immigration per se.
Citizenship?

Language, is that not the biggest part of assimilation? You must also be able to read, write, and speak English in order to qualify for naturalization. If you are not able to read, write, or speak English then there are ways to get around this last requirement. For example if you have lived in the United States for at least 15 years and are over 55 then you are exempt from this requirement, or if you have lived in the U.S. for 20 years and are over 50, or if you have a medically verifiable condition that impairs your ability to learn English then you are also exempt from this naturalization requirement. Other than that you must speak English to become a legal Citizen.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM

121 posts, read 225,934 times
Why do most people refer to everyone who has mexican descent as an immigrant?

I think a better question is, why do most Mexican-Americans refer to criminal illegal aliens as "immigrants".

Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT. SHLITZ View Post
Why do most people refer to everyone who has mexican descent as an immigrant?

I think a better question is, why do most Mexican-Americans refer to criminal illegal aliens as "immigrants".
Oooh....touche!!!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
So is a lack of tax revenue that is often propped up by free social services. You need a cost-benefit analysis here.

Are you so sure it's a "loophole" and not what the Founding Fathers had intended? Even if it is a "loophole" -- fine, go ahead and amend the Constitution.

The sewer-level quality of the American public education, corruption in the unions, and a culture of entitlement undercut labor a lot more.

Assimilation is not required as a prerequisite to a green card or even citizenship. In a country with a heterogeneous culture, such a requirement would not be practicable, and there are many instances in which having such a requirement would violate the First Amendment (you know, another one of those pesky "loopholes" in the Constitution). Whatever the case may be, illegal immigration has nothing to do with assimilation. Absolutely nothing. Legal immigrants don't have to assimilate and many don't. If assimilation is your concern, then you have a problem with immigration in general, not illegal immigration per se.
With all the millions of people who would like to move to the USA, we should not take those who will not assimilate over those who truly wish to become American.

That's true of legal immigration also. Those who want to hold onto the old-country's ways ought to just not leave it. Let those who want to become American come instead.

In fact there might be *some* illegals who would make better Americans than *some* legals so the legals that want to keep their own nation's ways should step aside and make room for the others.

Immigration should be fair, it should be legal, and it should be an orderly process. It should be mainly about allowing people to become American, it shouldn't be only about money.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
I agree with you but just so you know, you most certainly can have dual citizienship. I know many dual nationals. My son is one. You must enter and exit America on your American passport. There are other countries, such as Spain that do not allow Dual, but America is not one of them. Its just one of my biggest pet peeves, facts stated incorrectly. Like when my niece told me that I dont have the right to vote because I live abroad. Guessing doesnt make a fact.

But I very much agree that we are American, not English American or German American or Mexican American. We need to unite. This is for sure.
I just remembered -- I have one immigrant grandparent. From Canada. I suppose I should refer to myself as a Canadian? I've been to that country two or three times. I've never thought about myself as a Canadian in any way.

Now I have to get myself a Canadian flag and show my national pride.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 PM

74 posts, read 125,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
I agree with you but just so you know, you most certainly can have dual citizienship. I know many dual nationals. My son is one. You must enter and exit America on your American passport. There are other countries, such as Spain that do not allow Dual, but America is not one of them. Its just one of my biggest pet peeves, facts stated incorrectly. Like when my niece told me that I dont have the right to vote because I live abroad. Guessing doesnt make a fact.

But I very much agree that we are American, not English American or German American or Mexican American. We need to unite. This is for sure.
If you are being naturalized as an American Citizen you CANNOT!, pardon the vagueness of my previous statement but In this topic we were talkign about immigrants from other nations who were once citizens of those nations. I explicitly swore away any loyalties and citizenship to any other nations when I partook my new American citizenship.

But as you said we are all Americans and we need to unite for what is right.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,444,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
With all the millions of people who would like to move to the USA, we should not take those who will not assimilate over those who truly wish to become American.

That's true of legal immigration also. Those who want to hold onto the old-country's ways ought to just not leave it. Let those who want to become American come instead.

In fact there might be *some* illegals who would make better Americans than *some* legals so the legals that want to keep their own nation's ways should step aside and make room for the others.

Immigration should be fair, it should be legal, and it should be an orderly process. It should be mainly about allowing people to become American, it shouldn't be only about money.
I agree with you whole heartedly Mal.....including:
Quote:
In fact there might be *some* illegals who would make better Americans than *some* legals

Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,688,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For what? I can send you plenty of articles of ERs closing if you would like. The last thing you do in a recession is raise yet more taxes.
Nobody wants to raise taxes in a recession -- or ever, actually. In fact, it would be great if we could have no taxes at all. That's a no-brainer. But some publicly-funded services are necessary, because the ultimate cost of not having them is much greater than the cost of maintaining them. We are getting off topic on this one, however. You made a very general statement on an issue that is not by any means specific to immigration.

Quote:
As well we should as we are the only Country (or one of a couple) that still allows it.
Really? Are you sure about that? Last I checked, jus soli is still observed in Argentina, Brazil, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, Paraguay, Peru, Canada, Colombia, Barbados, Chile, Grenada, Mexico, Panama, Pakistan, Turkish Cyprus, Uruguay, Venezuela, and about a dozen others. Ordinarily, I hate to ask people to their source, but given that my information on a purely factual issue is so very different from yours, I am curious as to whether you can provide a link.

Quote:
I'm anti-Union but the one thing organized labor has done is raise wages for everyone.
...disproportionate to the workers' qualifications. The result -- goods that are both shoddy and prohibitively expensive; versus lower production costs and higher quality of goods made elsewhere. Reducing immigration will do nothing to make American workers more competent or less hung up on their entitlements.

Quote:
As far as school, NCLB has created an atmosphere where ESL students hold the entire class hostage while the teacher culls them from the herd and uses all their resource to bring their grades up. The rest of the class is on their own. I've donated enough of my time to various schools to know this is true.
That is certainly NOT true in New York, where ESL students are segregated, and most are extremely anxious to leave the ESL program. And in any event, this has nothing to do with the issue of illegal immigration.

Quote:
Language, is that not the biggest part of assimilation? You must also be able to read, write, and speak English in order to qualify for naturalization. If you are not able to read, write, or speak English then there are ways to get around this last requirement. For example if you have lived in the United States for at least 15 years and are over 55 then you are exempt from this requirement, or if you have lived in the U.S. for 20 years and are over 50, or if you have a medically verifiable condition that impairs your ability to learn English then you are also exempt from this naturalization requirement. Other than that you must speak English to become a legal Citizen.
So? I know lots of people who speak English better than your average native-born American, and yet would hardly qualify as assimilated. Preliminarily, English is spoken in a number of other countries besides the US -- but that does not make the citizens of those countries "American". Even in non-English-speaking countries, lots of educated people are fluent in English, but that does not mean they are assimilated into the American culture. And what is American culture, anyway? Lately, I get the impression from one of the two presidential campaigns that being highly educated is supposedly un-American; but many of the world's best universities are in the United States, suggesting a paradox that there are at least two American cultures existing in parallel worlds. Many naturalized citizens are highly patriotic, but they still hold on to books in their native language, speak that language at home and eat ethnic foods. Should they have their citizenships yanked? There is at least one country that practices surprise home inspections and where immigration officials raid the immigrant's refrigerator and analyze his furniture arrangements to determine whether he is assimilated enough to qualify for citizenship. But here, alas, this will never go over well -- because once you permit that kind of conduct towards a naturalized citizen, warrantless surveillance of native-born citizens isn't far behind.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Repeat after me:

Close/lock at least our southern border, end birthright citizenship unless at least one parent is a US citizen/green holder (grandfather in the existing Anchor Babies but their illegal parents would still need to leave), mandate English only on all Government levels aside from those dealing with public health/safety.

The above would be a good start in really reversing the invasion of the above lawbreakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration