Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 PM

273 posts, read 343,483 times

Advertisements

The US is considered a melting pot.

The Irish were gonna ruin the US

The Italians were gonna ruin the country

Every immigrant wave has faced rhetoric about how they were going to bring the country down....

And we are still standing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,580,210 times
Xenophobia will NEVER die, as long as those darn foreigners keep acting so 'weird'...

Old 12-20-2008, 08:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,202,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post

Every immigrant wave has faced rhetoric about how they were going to bring the country down....

Legal or illegal immigration?

The latter can go back to where they came from.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,580,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Legal or illegal immigration?

The latter can go back to where they came from.
I think the OP's aim was to promote the idea that "they're ALL immigrants", don't you? I think the aim of this thread is to 'sell' an idea...I'll let you guess what that idea is......

Old 12-20-2008, 08:36 PM

380 posts, read 1,060,521 times
Legal Immigration is fine, those who do it the right way are always welcomed. The "melting pot" scenario works when people assimilate. Currently we allow way too many dual citizenships not based on marriages, we have certain religions which want us to change what we do on local, state and soon(like in Europe) on a national level to meet their rigid and backward standards(Sharia Law) and we have allowed too much political correctness to start to ruin the very idea of a truly blended American fabric of people. Influence from a culture, people and religion to some extent is good for a nation building process-but not when one declares itself to be the one that must prevail. White Christians and other longtime descendants from earlier immigrants in America have given up a lot toward this idea of a "melting pot", so then should all new immigrants. They blend in and become part of America, it is not, as some arrogrant nazi-like Muslim leaders say "We are not here to join into American society, we are here to see Islam dominates it as the only religion in the land. To these people, you may eventually succeed, but an awful lot of you will not live long enough to see it a reality-because hopefully, Americans who do believe in this country will stop believing in your calls for inter faith sessions(capitulation to Islamic ideas is what this really means) and will also start fighting you all-especially that rotten anti American group CAIR when they launch lawsuits which try to change the laws of the land. This group CAIR actually forced the city of Cincinnati, Ohio to drop charges against a Muslim can driver for not allowing a seeing eye dog belonging to a blind woman in his cab! This is the sort of stuff CAIR does to undermine our laws and rights. The seeing eye dog to be trained required much more education than the cab driver. The reason the dog was not allowed was it is considered an unclean animal. CAIR and it's hateful leaders are some of the reasons xenophobia exists, don't blame the native born folks when they get angry against these types-they are fighting a repugnant racism which if it gets a foothold will destroy our way of life as has happened in some western European countries.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 PM

50,533 posts, read 47,317,846 times
Quote:

How many of these "waves" abused tax payer funded social services meant for US Citizens?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,661,139 times
Quote:

You are talking about bigoted responses to legal immigrants. I don't see that here at all.
I do see people who are fed up with their governments lack of response to illegal immigration, though.
I also see people who purposefully lump illegal and legal immigrants together in order to defend their weak arguments for open borders by slurring desenters with the brush of 'racism'. Good luck with that old ploy --- it's been played to death.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 PM

50,533 posts, read 47,317,846 times
The US Govt is under fire about it's policies yet I've seen nothing from these so called humanitarians pushing for human rights in the Countries everyone is fleeing from. That right there gives me doubt to the sincerity of these people. I'd be more inclined to believe they have an alternative motive, like a bunch of Illegal Alien relatives.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 AM

956 posts, read 3,006,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How many of these "waves" abused tax payer funded social services meant for US Citizens?
Irish? No
Italians? No
Polish? No

I'd say 0% of the previous waves bankrupted public coffers. However, immigration from Mexico and other points south is doing just that.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:01 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,472,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I think the OP's aim was to promote the idea that "they're ALL immigrants", don't you? I think the aim of this thread is to 'sell' an idea...I'll let you guess what that idea is......
Love thy neighbor............whether he hates your country or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration