Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 03:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
It may just be that Spanish is a resilient lanuage, soon after the occupation of Puerto Rico, the English language was pushed into the system including english only at the schools, several generations later, Spanish is by far the predominant language of Portorricans.
Same thing occurred in California, New Mexico, etc. Though the US 'took over' these places way back 'when', rural people living "off the grid" continued using Spanish in the home for decades....often right up until modern times. Out in 'the world' they used English...but at home, it was Spanish, particularly among elderly people.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 PM

197 posts, read 265,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
America: love it or leave it.

All the more reason to seal of Mexico from the USA----------that will weaken the bond between certain Mexican 'Americans' and Mexican nationals. Why I say that is the cultural bonds between most other Hispanics (Argentines, etc) are much weaker between the old country and here.

'nuff said!
Where did you get this one, another of your brown hispanic friends, all the Argentinians I know, quite a few of them, have very strong family ties. and travel to argentina constantly, many stay there, BTW, great place to live. Your cultural cues are way off...:s mack:

Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,438 times
Quote:
America: love it or leave it.

All the more reason to seal of Mexico from the USA----------that will weaken the bond between certain Mexican 'Americans' and Mexican nationals. Why I say that is the cultural bonds between most other Hispanics (Argentines, etc) are much weaker between the old country and here.

'nuff said!

A pale skin Argentine would feel more culturally at home in a Mexican barrio full of Brown people than he or she would in a cookie cutter suburb full of blond haired and blue eyed Anglos.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 PM

608 posts, read 1,004,786 times
Quote:
Where did you get this one, another of your brown hispanic friends, all the Argentinians I know, quite a few of them, have very strong family ties. and travel to argentina constantly, many stay there, BTW, great place to live. Your cultural cues are way off...:s mack:
Same goes for my friends from Venezuela and Brazil. In fact technology enables us to stay in touch at an affordable cost today without having to travel. It may have been true in the past where returning to the old country was difficult if not cost prohibitive. Heck many didn't want to return as their countries were ravaged by war. There really weren't any ties to keep.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
It may just be that Spanish is a resilient lanuage, soon after the occupation of Puerto Rico, the English language was pushed into the system including english only at the schools, several generations later, Spanish is by far the predominant language of Portorricans.
Not that resilient of a language: Spanish all but disappeared in the Philippines when the USA owned that land from 1989-1946----------never mind that significant aspects of the Filipino culture are/were based on Mexico's

Old 01-09-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
[/i]

A pale skin Argentine would feel more culturally at home in a Mexican barrio full of Brown people than he or she would in a cookie cutter suburb full of blond haired and blue eyed Anglos.
Yes and no: Hispanic culture is rather White supremacist and quite a few 'White' Mexicans look down on their darker skinned countrymen, sad to say.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes and no: Hispanic culture is rather White supremacist and quite a few 'White' Mexicans look down on their darker skinned countrymen, sad to say.
If the "hispanic" culture is white supremacist, what does that make the "anglo-american" culture? You keep making statements that are just not grounded in reality.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
If the "hispanic" culture is white supremacist, what does that make the "anglo-american" culture? You keep making statements that are just not grounded in reality.
There is a difference: the White supremacy in 'Anglo' culture is being challenged by us (Barack Obama is an example) whereas there is still a lot of denial amongst Latinos about their version of White supremacy.

A quick look at a Mexican telenovela makes that quite clear: where are the Mestizo roles------------considering that Mexico is ca. 90% Mestizo/Indian? At least US shows depict the majority of Americans.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM

608 posts, read 1,004,786 times
Quote:
I see in this forum how people tend to equalize anti-illegal sentiment with anti-hispanic, as if they are the same. I am against illegal immigration of any kind, let it be hispanic, asian, irish, etc. however have nothing against
our spanish heritage which is rich, and older than the country itself since
our first european cities are Spanish, pre-dating english settlements for more than 100 years, our oldest city is St. Augustine, FL founded by Juan Ponce De leon. We can see our early spanish heritage through the south-east and western United States, more recently, in the last century there has been a gradual penetration of spanish culture on the remaining United States. Spanish communities have a significant political power, and you see hispanics, among them, a lot of people that you don't even realize are hispanics, at all levels of our society. Spanish is part of our culture, and we better learn to live with this fact, otherwise will be condemned to a life full of hate and anger, since Spanish culture is strong and will continue being so.
Geraldo Rivera is not one of my most favorites but he along with Lou Dobbs should be heard in order to hear all sides of the issue. He wrote a book called "His-Panic -Why Americans Fear Hispanics in the U.S." Very interesting read and covers your very points above. He not only writes about the Hispanic/Latino struggles but also correlates to other immigrant struggles such as the Irish and the Italians as well as others. All subjects posted in the Immigration forum... Importing Terror, Crime, gangs, and even Anchor Babies and "Neo Know Nothings" are covered.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:31 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Same goes for my friends from Venezuela and Brazil. In fact technology enables us to stay in touch at an affordable cost today without having to travel. It may have been true in the past where returning to the old country was difficult if not cost prohibitive. Heck many didn't want to return as their countries were ravaged by war. There really weren't any ties to keep.
Intersting statement..one of those 'gems' that could be used by either side. It's true, immigration THEN was different than immigration NOW.....but what's the point, really? Early immigrants 'cut their ties', and modern immigrants 'don't'.....OK.....

The point, as I see it, is that this 'artificial, man-made' society was able to get 'off the ground' precisely because early immigrants DID 'cut their ties', regardless of 'why'. And my worry is that this 'artificial construct' of a society may not be able to continue on in peace and freedom, if modern-day immigrants insist on 'keeping thier ties'. WHY the two groups are different is beside the point....it's that "difference" itself that concerns me.

Remember, the US isn't a 'natural' society..it was the result of a 'bunch of guys' actually sitting down at a table an 'writing up the rules' on paper. Will this sort of abstract 'theoretical' society be able to continue to exist, now that dozens of new groups insist they can 'be' here, yet still keep their 'ties' elsewhere? If 'tribe A' can't stand 'tribe B' back home, and hates their guts, and wants them all DEAD...and 'tribe B' feels likewise....what on Earth would make them suddenly decide to 'get along' or 'like each other' once they arrived in the US...? Can't be something in the drinking water here, can it? Wouldn't they need to 'cut their ties with home' just a bit....(or maybe a LOT ?).

It's a fair question, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration