Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,618,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes and no: Hispanic culture is rather White supremacist and quite a few 'White' Mexicans look down on their darker skinned countrymen, sad to say.
Wait a minute... It is not white supremacist. It is a caste system...big difference.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 AM

608 posts, read 1,006,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Intersting statement..one of those 'gems' that could be used by either side. It's true, immigration THEN was different than immigration NOW.....but what's the point, really? Early immigrants 'cut their ties', and modern immigrants 'don't'.....OK.....

The point, as I see it, is that this 'artificial, man-made' society was able to get 'off the ground' precisely because early immigrants DID 'cut their ties', regardless of 'why'. And my worry is that this 'artificial construct' of a society may not be able to continue on in peace and freedom, if modern-day immigrants insist on 'keeping thier ties'. WHY the two groups are different is beside the point....it's that "difference" itself that concerns me.

Remember, the US isn't a 'natural' society..it was the result of a 'bunch of guys' actually sitting down at a table an 'writing up the rules' on paper. Will this sort of abstract 'theoretical' society be able to continue to exist, now that dozens of new groups insist they can 'be' here, yet still keep their 'ties' elsewhere? If 'tribe A' can't stand 'tribe B' back home, and hates their guts, and wants them all DEAD...and 'tribe B' feels likewise....what on Earth would make them suddenly decide to 'get along' or 'like each other' once they arrived in the US...? Can't be something in the drinking water here, can it? Wouldn't they need to 'cut their ties with home' just a bit....(or maybe a LOT ?).

It's a fair question, I think.
Great post. Very fair question and definitely food for thought... Never looked at it that way.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,290,048 times
Quote:
Yes and no: Hispanic culture is rather White supremacist and quite a few 'White' Mexicans look down on their darker skinned countrymen, sad to say.
With your 'logic', for the vast majority of it's history, American culture is rather white supremacist.

I don't buy your theory. Too many Hispanics are not white to be considered "white supremacists".
You base that theory on telenovelas, when many of Mexico's most beloved national heroes run the gamut from Mestizo, to Indigenous, to partial African ancestry, to Criollo.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,973,117 times
Also if Hispanic culture was so "White supremacist" like ArizonaBear claims than how come only 1 in 4 Hispanics in the U.S ends up marrying a White person.
The Great Assimilation Machine - WSJ.com

The majority of Hispanics have no desire whatsoever to marry a White person in order to have more European looking children.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
With your 'logic', for the vast majority of it's history, American culture is rather white supremacist.

I don't buy your theory. Too many Hispanics are not white to be considered "white supremacists".
You base that theory on telenovelas, when many of Mexico's most beloved national heroes run the gamut from Mestizo, to Indigenous, to partial African ancestry, to Criollo.
I spent much of last year in Europe. Many of the "white" Europeans that I got to know consider the Spanish to be the underclass and to be non-white. I don't agree with it and don't even agree with the classification of people into a race category. Of course the US plays a big part of this racial classification. Perfect example are the multiple classifications for Hispanic/Latino alone. In today's world it is no longer possible to define ones race. We now have a category called mixed race. It is getting ridiculous. We should claim country of citizenship and nothing more. But I know the reason for classifying race is to ensure equal opportunities and to track this progress.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I spent much of last year in Europe. Many of the "white" Europeans that I got to know consider the Spanish to be the underclass and to be non-white. I don't agree with it and don't even agree with the classification of people into a race category. Of course the US plays a big part of this racial classification. Perfect example are the multiple classifications for Hispanic/Latino alone. In today's world it is no longer possible to define ones race. We now have a category called mixed race. It is getting ridiculous. We should claim country of citizenship and nothing more. But I know the reason for classifying race is to ensure equal opportunities and to track this progress.
Spanish as in from Spain or Hispanics from the New World are not considered to be 'White'?

Side note: another group of Mestizos in Europe that get dumped on (although part of it is their basic culture in too many cases) are the Gypsies--------most of them have darker skin/Asian facial features courtesy of their East Indian lineage.

GNU Free Documentation License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 AM

62 posts, read 140,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
These programs are funded by taxpayer dollars. Every time you need a government provided interpreter for the ER, parent teacher conferences, traffic court, etc., it costs taxpayers money and this is ridiculous. There is a place for individuals who are determined to cling to their native tongue. It is back in their home countries.
In our local court system illegals regularly request an interpreter even if they SPEAK and UNDERSTAND English. I personally have witnessed this happening. And yes, it does costs the taxpayer money. But the illegals have been taught to request an interpreter because it slows down the system and makes the court impatient to get them off the calendar. Just another twist in accommodating supposed non-English speaking illegals.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Spanish as in from Spain or Hispanics from the New World are not considered to be 'White'?

Side note: another group of Mestizos in Europe that get dumped on (although part of it is their basic culture in too many cases) are the Gypsies--------most of them have darker skin/Asian facial features courtesy of their East Indian lineage.

GNU Free Documentation License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They were referring to Spaniards from Spain.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
They were referring to Spaniards from Spain.
That is weird being that many Germans, Italians and so on have olive skin, dark eyes and dark hair along with high cheekbones.

In fact: I once knew a woman from Spain was definitely White...........her daughter was as Nordic as they came-------never mind that both women could claim Latino/Hispanic despite being blue eyed blondes.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,575,961 times
Quote:
I spent much of last year in Europe. Many of the "white" Europeans that I got to know consider the Spanish to be the underclass and to be non-white.
I've never been to Europe....interesting info. Perhaps what you're alluding to here is the European saying (I THINK it may be from France) that says "Africa begins at the Pyrenees" (The mountain range that defines the border between France and Spain....between 'continental Europe' and the Iberian Peninsula). This PROBABLY has much to do with the fact that for several centuries, Spain was ruled by "The Moors" (Muslims) of North Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration