Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:07 PM

136 posts, read 292,647 times

Advertisements

My rant is somewhat long but please bear with me because I want to be refuted intellectually.

Here’s an analogy for you all to consider: compare having open borders to living in a house with unlocked doors. Anyone can enter as they please at anytime but you will have absolutely no information beforehand about the entrants or their intentions. You can assume that most everyone who can enter will most likely be good people such as your neighbors, family and/or friends but you have still no way of knowing beforehand about who is entering or their intentions. Could a murderer, thief, rapist, drug addict/dealer, vandal, etc. enter at anytime? Very likely. Can you see the potential dangers in that situation? Would you like to live your entire life in a house with unlocked doors?

The benefit of living in a house with locked doors is that you can see and question the persons who want to enter beforehand. If you have suspicions about the persons who want to enter your house you can always refuse them entry simply because it’s your house and it’s under your rules. You own that house and no one has the right to enter as they please without your permission.

Now, consider living in a country with open borders next to a country filled with high rates of corruption, poverty, drug violence and crime. The border is wide open, anyone can enter as they please and you will have absolutely no information beforehand on the entrants entering or their intentions. You can assume that most everyone who can enter will most likely be people such as harmless day laborers and/or innocent tourists but you have still no way of knowing beforehand about who is entering or their intentions. Could a murderer, thief, rapist, drug addict/dealer, vandal, spy, etc. enter at anytime? Very likely. Can you see the potential dangers in that situation? Would you like to live in a country in which allows anyone to enter illegally anytime as they please without people having any information beforehand regarding the entrants or their intentions?

Now, imagine that you live in a house with locked doors. With locked doors you can see who wants to enter beforehand, question the entrants’s intentions and refuse them entry if you believe that they could pose a potential danger or if you don’t have enough information about them. Compare that to the immigration system and border fences our country has. The immigration system can check the backgrounds of those who want to enter the US legally and the border fences can potentially hinder/stop those who want to enter the US illegally. In addition, border fences are like locked doors: they can somehow be bypassed but they’re the best method we have of blocking those who could pose potential dangers or those whom we don’t know enough about.

Locked doors, the immigration system and border fences are not 100% foolproof. A locked door can be broken into or the possible entrants could mislead you regarding their identity or intentions. But, at least you can look and question the people who want to enter. With an immigration system in use the government can at least check the backgrounds and of those who want to enter and border fences can potentially stop/hinder those who want to enter illegally.

Those entering an unlocked house can be very helpful or very destructive but you still have absolutely no information beforehand of who is entering.

So, I ask all you pro-illegal sympathizers this: Would you live in a house with unlocked doors for the rest of your life? If so, I challenge those to live, or find someone to live, in the closest US town/city to the US-Mexican border in a house with unlocked doors and live like nothing bad could to your life. See what happens.

One last question, which would you put first: the safety of your country’s citizens or the safety of non-US illegals trying to enter the US illegally?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 PM

50,484 posts, read 47,254,503 times
WOW. Very moving post that hits all the points. I approve.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,262,661 times
I've know of a few places in the Houston area they wouldn't live.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,574,272 times
Good analogy..I've made it myself many times, but never gotten a coherent rebuttal. I would suspect almost ALL of us can see the reason for locking our homes....locking our cars, etc. Schools lock their doors during the 'off hours'....as do businesses, plants, and every description of institution. Even most CHURCHES lock up for some part of the night hours....for obvious reasons.

Fences are common, too...they're used on freeways, around businesses, hospitals, military bases, etc. There are MILLIONS of miles of fences in use today, and more are being built all the time..presumably, because they help keep out intruders.

Almost ANYONE on this forum or elsewhere can see that fences and locks serve a very legitimate purpose. We all lock our cars, homes, and even our luggage. Even the WHITE HOUSE is surrounded by a fence. Yet, for some reason, when we attempt to put a fence along our border...or to "lock" its entry points to unauthorized intruders...suddenly that's "different". Locking our homes and businesses is perfectly OK...but 'locking' (or fencing) our nation is "mean, xenophobic, and racist"....it's "insulting to our neighbors", is percieved as "unfriendly", and it "sends a bad message".

I don't "get" it, but that's the way it's looked at. When I lock my home, it's not to "insult" those who pass by on the street...it's to protect my home from uninvited intruders. In fact, no one passing my home should even KNOW my door is locked...unless they try to get in. Somehow, though, I'm not allowed to feel this way about my nation....somehow, fencing our border is seen as 'insulting' to those on the other side of it.

If YOU understand this, please explain it to me....because I just don't "get it".

By the way, I DOUBT you'll get many coherent reasons why this is "wrong"....probably just a lot of reasons why it's 'not the point'...

Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 PM

87 posts, read 129,768 times
If we let the illegal aliens break the laws. Why not let American get away with non felony crimes? Why do Americans have to pay parking tickets or deal with misdemeanors, speeding tickets, late library fines. We should all work under the table. Maybe, we can use our bosses identification to live the American Dream too! What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Gander.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereignty View Post
If we let the illegal aliens break the laws. Why not let American get away with non felony crimes? Why do Americans have to pay parking tickets or deal with misdemeanors, speeding tickets, late library fines. We should all work under the table. Maybe, we can use our bosses identification to live the American Dream too! What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Gander.
Then the pro illegal alien fans will yowl because their 'pets' are being undercut.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:59 PM

87 posts, read 129,768 times
LOL, heck they commit about 5 felonies just getting to the point of applying for a job.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,759,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
My rant is somewhat long but please bear with me because I want to be refuted intellectually.

Here’s an analogy for you all to consider: compare having open borders to living in a house with unlocked doors. Anyone can enter as they please at anytime but you will have absolutely no information beforehand about the entrants or their intentions. You can assume that most everyone who can enter will most likely be good people such as your neighbors, family and/or friends but you have still no way of knowing beforehand about who is entering or their intentions. Could a murderer, thief, rapist, drug addict/dealer, vandal, etc. enter at anytime? Very likely. Can you see the potential dangers in that situation? Would you like to live your entire life in a house with unlocked doors?

The benefit of living in a house with locked doors is that you can see and question the persons who want to enter beforehand. If you have suspicions about the persons who want to enter your house you can always refuse them entry simply because it’s your house and it’s under your rules. You own that house and no one has the right to enter as they please without your permission.

Now, consider living in a country with open borders next to a country filled with high rates of corruption, poverty, drug violence and crime. The border is wide open, anyone can enter as they please and you will have absolutely no information beforehand on the entrants entering or their intentions. You can assume that most everyone who can enter will most likely be people such as harmless day laborers and/or innocent tourists but you have still no way of knowing beforehand about who is entering or their intentions. Could a murderer, thief, rapist, drug addict/dealer, vandal, spy, etc. enter at anytime? Very likely. Can you see the potential dangers in that situation? Would you like to live in a country in which allows anyone to enter illegally anytime as they please without people having any information beforehand regarding the entrants or their intentions?

Now, imagine that you live in a house with locked doors. With locked doors you can see who wants to enter beforehand, question the entrants’s intentions and refuse them entry if you believe that they could pose a potential danger or if you don’t have enough information about them. Compare that to the immigration system and border fences our country has. The immigration system can check the backgrounds of those who want to enter the US legally and the border fences can potentially hinder/stop those who want to enter the US illegally. In addition, border fences are like locked doors: they can somehow be bypassed but they’re the best method we have of blocking those who could pose potential dangers or those whom we don’t know enough about.

Locked doors, the immigration system and border fences are not 100% foolproof. A locked door can be broken into or the possible entrants could mislead you regarding their identity or intentions. But, at least you can look and question the people who want to enter. With an immigration system in use the government can at least check the backgrounds and of those who want to enter and border fences can potentially stop/hinder those who want to enter illegally.

Those entering an unlocked house can be very helpful or very destructive but you still have absolutely no information beforehand of who is entering.

So, I ask all you pro-illegal sympathizers this: Would you live in a house with unlocked doors for the rest of your life? If so, I challenge those to live, or find someone to live, in the closest US town/city to the US-Mexican border in a house with unlocked doors and live like nothing bad could to your life. See what happens.

One last question, which would you put first: the safety of your country’s citizens or the safety of non-US illegals trying to enter the US illegally?

Umm, look through my post history and point out to me when i have advocated for open borders.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:52 PM

50,484 posts, read 47,254,503 times
Ok, that's one, what about the pillaging of social services, the undercutting of wages, taking housing from Americans. These are the big ones, should we talk about the other just as important ones like hit and runs due to fear of deportation. There is right and there is wrong, anything in between is to be dismissed?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM

608 posts, read 1,006,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good analogy..I've made it myself many times, but never gotten a coherent rebuttal. I would suspect almost ALL of us can see the reason for locking our homes....locking our cars, etc. Schools lock their doors during the 'off hours'....as do businesses, plants, and every description of institution. Even most CHURCHES lock up for some part of the night hours....for obvious reasons.

Fences are common, too...they're used on freeways, around businesses, hospitals, military bases, etc. There are MILLIONS of miles of fences in use today, and more are being built all the time..presumably, because they help keep out intruders.

Almost ANYONE on this forum or elsewhere can see that fences and locks serve a very legitimate purpose. We all lock our cars, homes, and even our luggage. Even the WHITE HOUSE is surrounded by a fence. Yet, for some reason, when we attempt to put a fence along our border...or to "lock" its entry points to unauthorized intruders...suddenly that's "different". Locking our homes and businesses is perfectly OK...but 'locking' (or fencing) our nation is "mean, xenophobic, and racist"....it's "insulting to our neighbors", is perceived as "unfriendly", and it "sends a bad message".

I don't "get" it, but that's the way it's looked at. When I lock my home, it's not to "insult" those who pass by on the street...it's to protect my home from uninvited intruders. In fact, no one passing my home should even KNOW my door is locked...unless they try to get in. Somehow, though, I'm not allowed to feel this way about my nation....somehow, fencing our border is seen as 'insulting' to those on the other side of it.

If YOU understand this, please explain it to me....because I just don't "get it".

By the way, I DOUBT you'll get many coherent reasons why this is "wrong"....probably just a lot of reasons why it's 'not the point'...
Yeah it is pretty sad that we have to lock our doors and be vigilant of unwanted guests or intruders. But we have been locking our doors and suspicious of others long before the big "immigration" debate. So I don't think locking our doors (borders) is necessarily the concern or what offends people. I think it is the overall reason why we have to lock our doors/borders to begin with.

It is obvious we are becoming a less civilized world and citizens as well as non-citizens are just as much to blame. Putting our country on lock-down doesn't solve the problem it only keeps the criminals already here in and hiding in our closets. What pisses me off are half ***** solutions that are only performed to appease constituents. What ever happened to pragmatic solutions. I think we have also lost the battle of common sense in this country as well.

One thing we all forget... criminals (legal and illegal) are always 2 steps ahead of the rest of law abiding citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration