Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 AM

50,348 posts, read 47,099,157 times

Advertisements

Arizona's immigration circus

This columnist has spread this article to a half dozen large papers about the returning of funds to host deportations of Illegal Immigrants.

GO JOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Arizona's immigration circus

This columnist has spread this article to a half dozen large papers about the returning of funds to host deportations of Illegal Immigrants.

GO JOE
The word 'desperation' comes to mind on the part of the illegal alien apologists.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,583,213 times
Sheriff Joe Arpaio for President

How do Americans of Mexican descent in Arizona feel about the Sheriff?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
Sounds like (according to Navarrette's article) that Arpaio is rounding up anyone he can find with brown skin and a Spanish accent. If that's the case, it sounds pretty alarming. (At this point, I have to confess I have a personal interest in this...Arpaio's targets sound a good deal like some of my family members...please bear with me here, because we go to Arizona pretty often.)

Perhaps we could look further into this, by asking the following...Are Arpaio's 'victims' guilty of anything? I mean, beyond the brown skin and the Spanish accent, what exactly is the Sherriff focusing on here? Have these people "done" anything to draw his attention, OTHER than just having the "looks" they have, and a particular accent? Are there any people LEFT in Maricopa County still running around 'free', who have brown skins and Spanish accents, or has he simply locked ALL of them up in tents? That WOULD make a difference. If Arpaio has locked up 80% of the Hispanic population of Greater Phoenix, I'd say we had a MAJOR problem on our hands. 30% of the Hispanic population? Still not acceptable. If he's detained a few illoegal immigrants, though, that might not be so alarming...after all, I'm sure he ALSO detains speeders, public drunks, vagrants, and pickpockets. He's the sherriff, and it's his job to stop lawbreakers.

I wonder if Arpaio's "stunt" is truly the "reign of Terror" that Navarrete seems to feel that it is, or simply the work of a colorful public figure who sometimes gets his share of 'the limelight' while doing his work. Again, pardon my interest, but I have loved ones and a spouse who MIGHT fall under the category of the 'victims', and I just want to be extra sure before returning to Arizona.

Has anyone thought to ask Navarrette himself if HE'S ever been to Phoenix...and if SO, has Arpaio ever locked HIM up? If not, why not?

I'd like to hear more about this..is it truly a "pogrom" against the Hispanic population of Arizona, or something less. I HOPE it's not like here in Southern California, in which a police-involved shooting several years ago, was termed a "genocide against young black men by the LAPD". THAT incident was bad, and deserved to be looked into; yet it wasn't truly a "genocide"; in fact, there are STILL a few young black men surviving in LA today, and many of them seem to be doing just FINE. That's why the FIRST thing I'd like to ask is "are there any Hispanics LEFT in Phoenix, or has Arpaio locked all of them up because of their skin color".?

Once we get THAT question out of the way, maybe we can talk more about Arpaio's flamboyant excesses, publicity stunts, and "cowboy" demeanor.

Can anybody from Phoenix help us out here? Is it safe for Hispanics? If you know anything, please answer ASAP..

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Had to chuckle at macmeal's comment:

Not all of our 'brown' people here are Hispanic; some are American Indian, Cambodian, etc.

Flip side: there are quite a few White Hispanics here who could not pass for 'Mexican' in looks if their lives depended on it till they open their mouths and Spanish streams out.

Too: many 'Mexican' Americans here are uber pissed at the illegal alien invasion as well and fully support Sheriff Joe.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Had to chuckle at macmeal's comment:

Not all of our 'brown' people here are Hispanic; some are American Indian, Cambodian, etc.

Flip side: there are quite a few White Hispanics here who could not pass for 'Mexican' in looks if their lives depended on it till they open their mouths and Spanish streams out.

Too: many 'Mexican' Americans here are uber pissed at the illegal alien invasion as well and fully support Sheriff Joe.

Thanks for the update from "ground zero", AZ Bear. Tell me this....do the Hispanics remaining in Phoenix (the ones who haven't yet been 'rounded up') still have their front doors...or has your out-of-control Sherriff and his "storm troopers" kicked them all in?
In your opinion, if Ruben Navarrette visited Phoenix, would he be safe from your Sherriff, or would he be caught up in one of your frequent 'sweeps', and hauled away to live in a tent? Just wondering...trying to get to the bottom of this thing...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,789 times
Navarrette never fails to not make blood shoot out of my eyes. Just what is it exactly that brown skinned LEGAL hispanics have to fear from sherrif Joe? They're legal, after all. But I certainly have little sympathy for any brown skinned LEGAL hispanics that get caught up by sherrif Joe when they "run" with packs of brown skinned ILLEGAL hispanics.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Navarrette never fails to not make blood shoot out of my eyes. Just what is it exactly that brown skinned LEGAL hispanics have to fear from sherrif Joe? They're legal, after all. But I certainly have little sympathy for any brown skinned LEGAL hispanics that get caught up by sherrif Joe when they "run" with packs of brown skinned ILLEGAL hispanics.
I doubt that "brown skinned people" have much to fear from The Sherriff; nor do legal immigrants. It just SOUNDS good to say this, when you're supporting the cause of illegal immigrants. If you can focus on their skin color, and their status as foreign-born, then it's easy to just call them "brown-skinned immigrants", and pursue it from that angle..sort of like saying "we're ALL in this together, and if THEY'RE not safe, then NONE of us are"....something like that.

Makes some people 'feel good', I suppose. Big bad Sherriff vs "the working man".

Of course, ANY person who finds himself HARBORING a lawbreaker might have cause for concern. Whether you're "brown-skinned" or not, if you have lawbreakers in the home, you MIGHT feel a little more "heat" from the lawthan you otherwise would. That pretty much "comes with the territory", and its true if you have an illegal immigrant house guest, a son who deals drugs, or a spouse who collects stolen property and keeps it in the home. In THAT case, regardless of your skin color, you MIGHT want to take steps to remove yourself from the presence of those who live 'outside the law', so as to reduce your OWN chances of being inconvenienced.

THAT decision is up to the individual. But once again, no one as far as I know has ever been arrested for "having a brown skin and an accent". As far as I know, that's still legal...

Last edited by macmeal; 02-11-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Thanks for the update from "ground zero", AZ Bear. Tell me this....do the Hispanics remaining in Phoenix (the ones who haven't yet been 'rounded up') still have their front doors...or has your out-of-control Sherriff and his "storm troopers" kicked them all in?
In your opinion, if Ruben Navarrette visited Phoenix, would he be safe from your Sherriff, or would he be caught up in one of your frequent 'sweeps', and hauled away to live in a tent? Just wondering...trying to get to the bottom of this thing...
Actually: some of our 'brown' (and not so brown) Hispanics (legal as well as illegal) are at greater risk from other Hispanics for abuse or worse than from Sheriff Joe. Home invasions come to mind.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,958 times
It is true that Joe keeps getting elected but the numbers do not lie...with each passing election his numbers are waning.

Illegals are down in Phoenix and I have have issues with that. I do have issue with him allowing profiling based on skin color.

My main issue with Joe is his constant abuse of power. Anyone in the political or media field that speaks out about him is in danger of being drug through the mud and having Joe open an investigation on them. Here is the latest of the witch hunts he is on...

Sheriff Arpaio's Office Wants E-mails and Other Public Records From 36 County Officials
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration