Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,227,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And said economic 'refugees' will be at great risk of being deported from Mexico, etc. (and rightly so) if things there turn bad.
So far, they seem to welcome the SS checks going into Mexican banks for pensionado status. Old folks don't compete for jobs or marriage partners. They just bring in foreign income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 AM

50,481 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Back on topic, which as it turns out is not Mexico.
Yac.

Discussing illegal immigration without mention of Mexico is like discussing the war with Iraq and not dropping the Bush bomb

Old 02-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,738,827 times
True. But the focus of the discussion should remain on Immigration. Mexico is just a part of the equation, not the sole source of the problem (even though it might be the biggest part).
Yac.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:52 AM

103 posts, read 186,892 times
The discussion on this forum is supposed to be immigration; however, this post is about emmigration. As a person who immigrated to the U.S. as a child, then emmigrated from it as an adult, I have a little insight.

America, despite all of its challenges remains the crown-jewel in immigrants minds. When I talk with Indian doctors at the hospital, they all tell me -- that everyone first tries to go to U.S. and if can't get in -- then will go to U.K., A.U., N.Z., S.A. and even then, still try to come to the U.S.

Something about the freedom, the sky is the limit, the entertainment, everything being fast paced and bigger than life.

Saddly, it is many of these features that have resulted in the delusions that have led most Americans (including myself - as I am a U.S. citizen) to live in a fashion that isn't healthy or responsble. It will be interesting as the financial crises of the world evolves, what happens. I suspect the U.S. will eventually dig its way out and will remain a place where so many people in the world dream to be.

The amazing thing is; that with all these people willing to move to the U.S. -- what has been done? We reject a lot of educated, very smart and ambitious people from around the world; and let a mass of uneducated individuals come in, completely illegally.

In regard to U.S. citizens moving elsewhere -- isn't going to happen -- it is very difficult to legally go to any country (except walking across the border to the U.S.).

Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,867,667 times
This is an interesting topic to discuss - kudos to the OP.

I think there is a decent chance that more retirees and wealthier folks may emmigrate to places where they can stretch their money farther, especially if we see hyperinflation as the result of increased government spending (noble as it may be). There are already quite a few people retiring in Central America for this reason.

By the way, there are currently seven million Americans living abroad.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyG View Post
When I talk with Indian doctors at the hospital, they all tell me -- that everyone first tries to go to U.S. and if can't get in -- then will go to U.K., A.U., N.Z., S.A. and even then, still try to come to the U.S.

Something about the freedom, the sky is the limit, the entertainment, everything being fast paced and bigger than life.
Or maybe something about the US paying doctors much more than anywhere else in the world?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,445,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not just their government. Ask average every day Mexicans sometime if Americans should have unlimited rights to move into Mexico, be allowed to buy up property, take jobs, vote in their elections, use their schools without paying dime toward them, expect free college provided by Mexican taxpayers, and watch the looks on their faces.

As illegals themselves this question. They'll look absolutely horrified and start mumbling something about Mexican sovereignty. This same horrified look is usually seen even on those Mexicans who intend never to return to Mexico to work and live. Mexico has to stay pure they will say.
Well, maybe it's me and my liberal ideas, but I wouldn't mind if there were less restrictions for Americans who wanted to move to Mexico, although some control would have to be established to avoid the mess that we are seeing in the USA right now.

It is already much easier to immigrate legally to Mexico if you are American than to immigrate to the USA if you are Mexican, yet as previously stated by me and Macmeal, Malamute and others it is very hard to immigrate to the USA legally, but very easy to do it ilegally, also the USA is the only place that gives all sorts of handouts to illegals, which in turn triggers responses like foreign flag waving and the marches demanding rights, this could have been easily avoided if those illegals weren't given things that made them feel entitled in the first place. and if immigraton would have been regulated with a more realistic approach, but unfortunately there are interests that prevent this from happening up to this day.

btw the Mexican senate is on the process of approving reforms that would allow Americans to buy property in coastal areas that was previously restricted.

"The report that will be presented today in the Senate, speaks of reforms to the law of the Bank of Mexico, of the Pension system, Income Tax and a reform to the law of adquisitions that would allow foreigners to buy property in coastal areas, with the oposition of the PRD in this issue."

full note (spanish)

Senado busca proteger empleo

As a conclusion in all fairness, if the USA has received so many people from Mexico I guess Americans should deserve more rights and preferences if they wanted to settle in Mexico.

Now, as many people who have come to Mexico for tourism knows, there are services, signs and assistance in english in touristic areas, and major cities downtowns.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 02-18-2009 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM

103 posts, read 186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Or maybe something about the US paying doctors much more than anywhere else in the world?
ahh .. a little confusion here ... the U.S. used to be great place for doctors -- but things have evened out.

BBC NEWS | Health | Doctors 'should face salary cut'

Another article in NEJM late last year discussed that UK GP's make more than US Family Physicians. GP's in Australia who work full time in a busy practice typically make ~ $250K AU ... none of this too dissimilar from the U.S.

The extremes of income are also still present in these other countries with neurosurgeons and cardiothoracic surgeons, interventional cardiologists, etc -- all making twice or more of this money -- often in the range of US >$500K/year.

The big reason why you won't see U.S. doctors going any where is not because there aren't equally financially advantageous places to practice; but that none of these places accept U.S. training as being equivalent without having to go through some mandatory training and often resitting of a board exam. I know -- I'm going through this now -- and by 2 years of being in AU -- I'll finally have the equivalent of what my U.S. certification was ...

Old 02-18-2009, 01:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,571,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyG View Post
The discussion on this forum is supposed to be immigration; however, this post is about emmigration. As a person who immigrated to the U.S. as a child, then emmigrated from it as an adult, I have a little insight.

America, despite all of its challenges remains the crown-jewel in immigrants minds. When I talk with Indian doctors at the hospital, they all tell me -- that everyone first tries to go to U.S. and if can't get in -- then will go to U.K., A.U., N.Z., S.A. and even then, still try to come to the U.S.

Saddly, it is many of these features that have resulted in the delusions that have led most Americans (including myself - as I am a U.S. citizen) to live in a fashion that isn't healthy or responsble. It will be interesting as the financial crises of the world evolves, what happens. I suspect the U.S. will eventually dig its way out and will remain a place where so many people in the world dream to be.

The amazing thing is; that with all these people willing to move to the U.S. -- what has been done? We reject a lot of educated, very smart and ambitious people from around the world; and let a mass of uneducated individuals come in, completely illegally.

In regard to U.S. citizens moving elsewhere -- isn't going to happen -- it is very difficult to legally go to any country (except walking across the border to the U.S.).
Fascinating and insightful post....much food for thought here. It's often been said that the American "character" includes a HUGE dose of almost TOO much 'personal independence, to the point that it NEARLY borders, at times, on the "ornery". Our "national heroes", (if that's what they are) are almost all 'mavericks', 'independent cusses', those who 'refused to follow the herd', or disobedient military officers. We don't trust the 'consensus builder' nor the 'team player', and nobody ever made an action movie about a great American accountant, or a dentist.

This 'stubborn, contrary' quality served us well in 'taming a frontier'. It pushed people to move ever 'onward', seeking 'new horizons', and getting away from 'stuffy, restrictive living' and 'nosy neighbors'. Whether we like it or not, MOST Americans have traditionally admired that sort of 'outlook'..copying it as much as they could; and if they couldn't copy it, at LEAST secretly longing for it. MOST Americans, if we're honest, see ourselves as just a BIT of an 'independent spirit'.

The frontier is gone. You can't move on anymore, can't 'shake off the past', and can't 'go where you'll be left alone'. And there's SOME serious doubt today, as to whether that 'ornery frontier spirit' will continue to serve us in an ever-shrinking world, where billions of people, whether we like it or not, are our 'neighbors', and can't be 'moved away from', but must be dealt with...

Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
billions of people, whether we like it or not, are our 'neighbors', and can't be 'moved away from', but must be dealt with...
Ohmygosh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration