Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,642,894 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to get people's opinions here on the possibility of Americans ever emigrating to other countries more than foreigners immigrate to the U.S. This is not as absurd as it may seem ; other countries have gone from countries that are immigrant destinations to countries whose people immigrate elsewhere (generally this has occurred in South American countries, but also more recently in Israel). Could it happen in America if the economy continues to get worse, and perhaps if there is some sort of disaster? IMO if Sarah Palin ever becomes president there will be a flood of Americans aiming to leave and Canada would be as up in arms about Ameican illegals as the US is about Mexican illegals right now. But that's just my opinion.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Just wanted to get people's opinions here on the possibility of Americans ever emigrating to other countries more than foreigners immigrate to the U.S. This is not as absurd as it may seem ; other countries have gone from countries that are immigrant destinations to countries whose people immigrate elsewhere (generally this has occurred in South American countries, but also more recently in Israel). Could it happen in America if the economy continues to get worse, and perhaps if there is some sort of disaster? IMO if Sarah Palin ever becomes president there will be a flood of Americans aiming to leave and Canada would be as up in arms about Ameican illegals as the US is about Mexican illegals right now. But that's just my opinion.

Thoughts?
I doubt it.

The last time that immigration was a 'hot button' issue was prior to ca. 1920 hence the restrictive laws put in place shortly thereafter. Said laws were loosened around 1953 to eliminate flagrant racial discrimination AKA truly leveling the playing field.

The above stated: it is high time restore the pre 1965 immigration quota system and eliminate chain migration (or at least restrict said family migration from English speaking nations only irrespective of the applicant's actual race/ethnicity).

Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,023,779 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Yes. that could happen in my lifetime. If the jobs disappear, it could be likely that americans will flood countries with a lower cost of living to survive, espec in their retirement years. i'd like to see mexico get a taste of its own medicine.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I doubt it.
There have been two decades in US history in which more people left the US than moved to the US - the 1860s and the 1930s. In the 1930s this was due to immigrants returning to their home countries, preferring to be poor there than in the US. In the 1860s this was due not only to the Civil War scaring away immigrants but also Confederates emigrating after the end of the Civil War, largely to Brazil.

The US was very crisis ridden in both of those decades. If things continue to get worse than the US could become a country that sends its people to the rest of the world rather than one which recieves people from the rest of the world. Offhand I can only think of three countries which went from destinations for immigrants to sending out immigrants: Brazil, Argentina, and most recently Israel.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM

100 posts, read 114,622 times
Sometimes I consider moving to Northern Italy, where they actually defend themselves against invasion. I love reading about the Northern League and how Lombards are making it increasingly difficult to exist in Italy as a non-European. Good for them -- bring back the Blackshirts.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
There have been two decades in US history in which more people left the US than moved to the US - the 1860s and the 1930s. In the 1930s this was due to immigrants returning to their home countries, preferring to be poor there than in the US. In the 1860s this was due not only to the Civil War scaring away immigrants but also Confederates emigrating after the end of the Civil War, largely to Brazil.

The US was very crisis ridden in both of those decades. If things continue to get worse than the US could become a country that sends its people to the rest of the world rather than one which recieves people from the rest of the world. Offhand I can only think of three countries which went from destinations for immigrants to sending out immigrants: Brazil, Argentina, and most recently Israel.
Mexico comes to mind as well for obvious reasons---------unless the growing deportations from the USA have reversed Mx's emigration/immigration ratio factoring in US born Anchor Babies.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mexico comes to mind as well for obvious reasons---------unless the growing deportations from the USA have reversed Mx's emigration/immigration ratio factoring in US born Anchor Babies.
In the case of Mexico you're talking about Mexican immigrants returning home.

Mexico did at one time have more lenient immigration policies and did attract immigrants from Europe fleeing dictatorships and world wars but I don't know if the number of foreigners moving to Mexico was greater than the number of Mexicans going to the USA at that time.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,996,675 times
Where would Americans go? Everybody hates us.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Where would Americans go? Everybody hates us.
If we were backed into a corner: whomever has the biggest guns/greatest desire to fight will likely win.

Suffice to say: I hope we (the USA) is never placed in that position.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 PM

By "sending out immigrants" I didn't mean kicking immigrants out of said countries. I meant the nationals of the countries in question emigrating in larger numbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration