Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Yes. that could happen in my lifetime. If the jobs disappear, it could be likely that americans will flood countries with a lower cost of living to survive, espec in their retirement years. i'd like to see mexico get a taste of its own medicine.
But Mexico enforces it's own immigration laws. It will not take in a bunch of elderly Americans and provide them free health care and free everything. To move to Mexico, you have to prove you have enough money to support yourself, citizenship is difficult to obtain. You're not allowed to take any job a Mexican might want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 AM

I don't believe Americans will leave the USA in any great number. For one, that's not our culture to just leave our homeland, we will stick it out. We will face problems but we won't simply run from them.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,575,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But Mexico enforces it's own immigration laws. It will not take in a bunch of elderly Americans and provide them free health care and free everything. To move to Mexico, you have to prove you have enough money to support yourself, citizenship is difficult to obtain. You're not allowed to take any job a Mexican might want.
My GOODNESS, that sounds like an unfriendly place !! No free health care? No free 'stuff'?...no taking jobs somebody might want? Enforcing laws against illegal foreigners who 'just want to work'?.....YUCK !!

Well, at LEAST I'm sure they must print voter materials in English....right? (maybe ?).....(pleeease ? tell me they DO...)

I WILL say one thing..ANY country as harsh to outsiders as the one you describe, CERTAINLY would be in NO position to criticize any OTHER country....at LEAST I'm sure they know THAT much....(pleeease ? tell me they DO ?)

Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
My GOODNESS, that sounds like an unfriendly place !! No free health care? No free 'stuff'?...no taking jobs somebody might want? Enforcing laws against illegal foreigners who 'just want to work'?.....YUCK !!

Well, at LEAST I'm sure they must print voter materials in English....right? (maybe ?).....(pleeease ? tell me they DO...)

I WILL say one thing..ANY country as harsh to outsiders as the one you describe, CERTAINLY would be in NO position to criticize any OTHER country....at LEAST I'm sure they know THAT much....(pleeease ? tell me they DO ?)

Yes, unfortunately the Mexicans believe that in their own country, their people should have the jobs before foreigners and no, they don't want to provide foreigners with WIC and food stamps simply for giving birth there in their country.

Mexicans don't translate everything into English for immigrants from the USA, they don't require all Mexicans to learn English, no Mexican president has insisted that all Mexicans start to learn English to accomodate those moving in who refuse to learn the language of that country. You go to a market in some Mexican town and you might not find a single person to speak English to you. No free schools for illegal Americans moving to Mexico.

In fact, Mexico has far less fraud in it's elections. They use a picture ID!! This card, called the IFE card is required in order to vote in Mexican elections. It would be very difficult to vote illegally in Mexican elections.

And just try to pull out your American flag and start protesting for rights because you decided to go and live there illegally. See what happens to you then! Kind of a double standard.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately the Mexicans believe that in their own country, their people should have the jobs before foreigners and no, they don't want to provide foreigners with WIC and food stamps simply for giving birth there in their country.

Mexicans don't translate everything into English for immigrants from the USA, they don't require all Mexicans to learn English, no Mexican president has insisted that all Mexicans start to learn English to accomodate those moving in who refuse to learn the language of that country. You go to a market in some Mexican town and you might not find a single person to speak English to you. No free schools for illegal Americans moving to Mexico.

In fact, Mexico has far less fraud in it's elections. They use a picture ID!! This card, called the IFE card is required in order to vote in Mexican elections. It would be very difficult to vote illegally in Mexican elections.

And just try to pull out your American flag and start protesting for rights because you decided to go and live there illegally. See what happens to you then! Kind of a double standard.

And ALL THESE YEARS I've listened as the Mexican Government complains about US?...how "mean" we are?....how we should improve our treatment of THEIR citizens in this country?.....How we should keep our 'noses' out of THEIR politics?......and then they turn around and treat OUR illegal Americans like THAT?

See if I ever listen to THEM again !! SHEEEEESH !!

What HYPOCRITES !.....I feel 'used'....

Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
And ALL THESE YEARS I've listened as the Mexican Government complains about US?...how "mean" we are?....how we should improve our treatment of THEIR citizens in this country?.....How we should keep our 'noses' out of THEIR politics?......and then they turn around and treat OUR illegal Americans like THAT?

See if I ever listen to THEM again !! SHEEEEESH !!

What HYPOCRITES !.....I feel 'used'....
It's not just their government. Ask average every day Mexicans sometime if Americans should have unlimited rights to move into Mexico, be allowed to buy up property, take jobs, vote in their elections, use their schools without paying dime toward them, expect free college provided by Mexican taxpayers, and watch the looks on their faces.

As illegals themselves this question. They'll look absolutely horrified and start mumbling something about Mexican sovereignty. This same horrified look is usually seen even on those Mexicans who intend never to return to Mexico to work and live. Mexico has to stay pure they will say.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
It's not just their government. Ask average every day Mexicans sometime if Americans should have unlimited rights to move into Mexico, be allowed to buy up property, take jobs, vote in their elections, use their schools without paying dime toward them, expect free college provided by Mexican taxpayers, and watch the looks on their faces.

As illegals themselves this question. They'll look absolutely horrified and start mumbling something about Mexican sovereignty. This same horrified look is usually seen even on those Mexicans who intend never to return to Mexico to work and live. Mexico has to stay pure they will say.
I know...just having fun here. NO COUNTRY on Earth that I know of, holds itself to the standards they hold US to.....and that certainly includes themselves. MOST countries, (except for a select affluent dozen or so), "belong" to the people who live there. They like their country, like their culture, like the way they 'do things', and see NO reason they should feel obligated to include "foreigners". If foreigners want to come, it's up to THEM to assimilate.

"Only in America"..(and a few other places) does the country belong, not to its citizens, but to the WHOLE WORLD. Only 'here' do we equate our culture with everyone else's....do we feel we "owe" people something, just because we're "us"....and do we let ANYBODY come in and 'tell us how it should be'.

It's not a 'level playing field' at all...not between us and Mexico...nor between us and ANYBODY, for that matter. If you're looking for an equitable "give and take" relationship..I'm afraid you'll be waiting a LONG time...it's more like "give and give some MORE"....while they "take".

That's just the way it is...

Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,742,077 times
Back on topic, which as it turns out is not Mexico.
Yac.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:21 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,234,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Just wanted to get people's opinions here on the possibility of Americans ever emigrating to other countries more than foreigners immigrate to the U.S. Thoughts?
Other than "more than" it's already happening and has been for years. As people reach the end of their work life and realize that they can't survive on social security in the US, they go to Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, etc. as economic refugees in order to survive in old age. This trend will increase tremendously as we go into a depression and more and more people are unable to survive in America. Health care costs are the killer.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Other than "more than" it's already happening and has been for years. As people reach the end of their work life and realize that they can't survive on social security in the US, they go to Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, etc. as economic refugees in order to survive in old age. This trend will increase tremendously as we go into a depression and more and more people are unable to survive in America. Health care costs are the killer.
And said economic 'refugees' will be at great risk of being deported from Mexico, etc. (and rightly so) if things there turn bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration