Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,290,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Note that I grew up in the Wash DC area 40 years ago--------which was about as multi-ethnic as a place could get--------yet the children made damn sure to learn English.
And that is still happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,578,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Again, nobody said that they shouldn't learn English...but does English have to be the only language they use?
Certainly not....but why can't they "use" it when they're voting....or seeking government services....or using the court system? What they use at home, or in business, is certainly their choice.....but government services are MY business, since I help to fund them.

I don't care what ANY business does; if it can operate in Farsi, and ONLY in Farsi, that's fine, provided it can turn a profit. But in the public arena, how many languages should "We" (the public) be forced to accomodate? Two? Six? Thirty? And whatever that number IS, what about those who STILL aren't accomodated? How about those who speak Swahili, or Finnish, or Mongolian..are THEY not also entitled to just as much consideration as those who speak Spanish, or Mandarin, or Korean? If not, WHY not? And if they ARE, where does this all end?

How about putting the burden on the individual? Want public services? FINE...learn the language, or get help from a friend or relative, or hire a translator. Want to use your native language in your business, or in your private affairs? WONDERFUL.....just don't do it at my expense.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM

355 posts, read 447,861 times
How would an American citizen be treated as a migrant or illegal immigrant in another country? Think about it!

This non-English and broken English issue is too common in the service industry and should not be tolerated.

When we communicate with other people we should expect them to understand, and speak English fluently. I say fluently because I cannot understand broken English and I should not have to be inconvenienced by somebody that is too lazy to learn our language properly.

If immigrants cannot effectively communicate with the public they should certainly not be in the service industry. Learn English, speak it correctly, or go back where you originated from. It is not as difficult as some people proclaim.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,261,091 times
Quote:
Again, nobody said that they shouldn't learn English...but does English have to be the only language they use?
No. But it should be the only language used by any level of government, civil service, or public services.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,826,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
Yes i do agree to some extend that every immigrant needs to learn English if they want to live here in the U.S of A, but the U.S government makes it very hard for immigrants to learn English especially Hispanic like myself, because they provide everything in languages other than English, if i want i don't need to speak English at all the government AND the private sector will provide me with everything in Spanish, but i chose to learn.

The government needs to do more by NOT providing help in their native languages, they will learn if they know they won't have any kind of help from the government, sometime we need tough love, your kids won't study if you don't force them to, immigrants won't learn English if they don't need to.
That recent case where the immigrant killed 14 other immigrants is a perfect example. The guy hated the USA, he was brought here when he was 13, never given an opportunity to learn English, so 28 years later, he's still unskilled and cannot speak English and was so frustrated by the other immigrants teasing him, he decided to kill them.

How can someone come as a child and live here 3 decades and never be exposed to the language of this country? A child can learn and adapt -- if allowed to do so, it's obvious this one wasn't.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,197,444 times
Quote:
The Italian immigrants sure thought so 80 years ago: the parents flat refused to speak Italian in front of their children forcing them to learn English------------along with many other minorities. The Japanese come to mind here in the West---------quite frequently their US born kids spoke Englis only as well.

If what I outlined is what it takes for legal immigrants' children to assimilate---------so be it.

Illegal aliens/minor age Anchor Babies do not count and need to leave.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,290,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The Italian immigrants sure thought so 80 years ago: the parents flat refused to speak Italian in front of their children forcing them to learn English------------along with many other minorities. The Japanese come to mind here in the West---------quite frequently their US born kids spoke Englis only as well.

If what I outlined is what it takes for legal immigrants' children to assimilate---------so be it.

Illegal aliens/minor age Anchor Babies do not count and need to leave.
I'm sorry, but that's complete BS.
Where did you get that info, anyway? A friend?
Not true at all.

It is true that many US born kids who are Italians, Japanese, AND HISPANICS speak only English.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:25 AM

814 posts, read 2,310,798 times
this whole thread is out of touch. it's wierd that the ones who claim to be the most american are ****ing clueless.

immigrants aren't forcing their culture on anybody!! period!! the only group that is catered to as far as language is SPANISH! SPANISH!!

I don't know of any immigrants that don't learn english or speak passable english and those that completely cannot are rare. even some natives don't give a rat's ass about speaking properly or are illiterate! its' a foregone conclusion that offspring of immigrants learn english fluently just from exposure if not school as well. the ones who have an accent are much older people and recent immigrants or very young adults or teenagers when they arrived in america.

this stupid and embarassing mantra of 'stop forcing your culture on us and learn our language, we shouldn't have to learn yours' is really annoying. those idiots need to get their facts straight and stop blaming everyone and target who the hell they're talking about. otherwise it's just veiled racism and general intolerance.

yeah, i'm talking about the likes of you, op!

as far as assimilation, the op is a classic example of a segment of society that could care less and is actually a detriment to assimilation as even if others do or try, they don't care!!

what the hell do you want the people to do? sell their souls??!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:27 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,934,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
this whole thread is out of touch. it's wierd that the ones who claim to be the most american are ****ing clueless.

immigrants aren't forcing their culture on anybody!! period!! the only group that is catered to as far as language is SPANISH! SPANISH!!

I don't know of any immigrants that don't learn english or speak passable english. its' a foregone conclusion that offspring of children learn english fluently just from exposure if not school as well. the ones who have an accent are much older people and recent immigrants or very young adults or teenagers when they arrived in america.

this stupid and embarassing mantra of 'stop forcing your culture on us and learn our language, we shouldn't have to learn yours' is really annoying. those idiots need to get their facts straight and stop blaming everyone and target who the hell they're talking about. otherwise it's just veiled racism and general intolerance.

yeah, i'm talking about the likes of you, op!

as far as assimilation, the op is a classic example of a segment of society that could care less and is actually a detriment to assimilation as even if others do or try, they don't care!!

what the hell do you want the people to do? sell their souls??!
You are the one who needs to learn what they post about. I can show you generations who refuse to speak English and they don't have to since the state has made sure that they are caterd to. You have no credibility because all you did was to attack and have shown you seem to know nothing about what you post.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:43 AM

243 posts, read 704,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
How would an American citizen be treated as a migrant or illegal immigrant in another country? Think about it!

u wud come good and far just with english here in Norway.
no problem att work. but ofc some older pep geets problems.

and u wud need to geet uset to that odd is a name
and that pep u work with wil tease u when u try to speak norwegian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration