Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM

355 posts, read 447,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Cannot Rep you again but you are 100% correct------------flip side; if I decided to live in Mexico (legally of course), I would make damn sure to learn at least passable Spanish out of respect.
People in Mexico and other foreign countries would not go out of their way to learn English and roll out the red carpet for a slew of Americans that decide to migrate there.

The leftists and immigrant-rights groups in the United States are the ones responsible for forcing legal citizens to adapt to all the migrants' customs and lifestyles, and making sure those migrants can live here not knowing comprehensible English while milking off the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM

355 posts, read 447,956 times
Moderator cut: discussing mod actions in public is not allowed. contact a mod privately if you have any questions

On the same line why is it considered racist when white people and legal citizens demand that migrants know how to communicate in English and learn to speak it on a comprehensible level?

I do not wish to have any dealings with people that are here illegally, and I do not care to be inconvenienced by struggling to understand their broken, illiterate-sounding version of so-called passable English. Communication is essential for business needs. When communication is made difficult by people that do not and will not understand our English, it disrupts an essential tool for our economy.

Last edited by Yac; 04-15-2009 at 02:33 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM

111 posts, read 316,789 times
the worst part of all is that Uncle Sam gets sue and lost when we do not provide translator to help with people ..... how far will Uncle Sam bend?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,397,096 times
My grandparents came to America and learned English as adults and I would describe their English as fluent but not perfect. Fluent does not mean accent and mistake-free. My grandmother especially had a heavy accent until the day she died but always spoke English in public.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,783,913 times
What boils my blood, is to see the news interview a shooting, or a hit and run, or a house or apt. fire, and they have to have an interpreter.

If I hear you speaking Mexican(it's not true spanish) I know right off, your here illegally.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:12 PM

709 posts, read 1,770,781 times
Quote:
What boils my blood, is to see the news interview a shooting, or a hit and run, or a house or apt. fire, and they have to have an interpreter.

If I hear you speaking Mexican(it's not true spanish) I know right off, your here illegally.

There are millions of Hispanics in the U.S who are here legally that only speak English in the work place, but in their free time they prefer to only speak Spanish.

And since they rarely to never speak English outside of the work place, they are often confused for illegal immigrants by other people on the streets and rightfully so. That is what happens when you refuse to assimilate into mainstream U.S society, people do not think you are a U.S citizen and confuse you for something else.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 PM

197 posts, read 266,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Here it is in plain English and black and white.

The United States of America is a country of immigrants but in order to live here, get along and communicate effectively, they must adapt and learn our language. We should not be forced to adapt to their culture or learn their language.

Most illegal immigrants cannot and will not speak English and this is unacceptable. The feds seem to know about their head-count and where they are, so nobody can convince me that they cannot be rounded up and exported back to their originating countries.

Business relations and communication are hampered by these migrants, legal or not, that will not speak English. The public should not be so tolerant of this absurdity.
We have freedom of expression in this country, and we have the right to speak whatever language we choose.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,664,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
We have freedom of expression in this country, and we have the right to speak whatever language we choose.
But do individuals have the right to demand others to accomadate them? By special instructions on the phone, by having signs in state parks in their language, by modifying government forms, driving tests and ballots?

I don't believe so. I believe that the demand to facillitate their chosen handicap (and it is a handicap to not learn English in a country where the majority speak it, especially in professional jobs) is the height of arrogance. It retards their growth into the mainstream and keeps them in a self defined 'ghetto'.

**obviously I am not speaking of those that want to speak a different language at home or amongst friends/relatives. I am speaking of people who refuse to learn English yet demand the rest of the country accomadate their chosen mono-lingualism.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:41 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,348,212 times
Quote:
That is true however it is a sign of non-assimilation into our society and shows no respect for our national langauge in public.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,214,200 times
Quote:
Fair enough: just be advised if people do not choose to learn English----------they are effectively screwed in dealing with the real world outside of their little enclaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration