Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In one word: yes.

Apparently you must either be very young or were nor at least raised here in the USA. Why I say that is us Americans unite when threatened by outsiders.
Oh Canada...Switzerland...Belgium...South Africa...United Kingdom...China...India...Ile Maurice...

There are plenty of nations that are peaceful that have more than one language. Most students outside of the US must learn a second language starting in elementary school...here in high school. This really puts us at a disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,076,397 times
The nationalism idea that arose in the 19th Century stressed language.

As national groups wanting their own states with national languages, the Austria-Hungary empire was severely weakened. Same with the Ottoman Empire, which was the "Sick Man of Europe."

But in the U.S. for the most part various ethnic groups are scattered across the country instead of having different slices of the same country. Also different ethnic groups have degrees of assimilation and degrees of prosperity and lack thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
So you're saying that these two philosophically diametrically opposed groups would come together for a common goal because they both have the same dictionaries on their bookshelves?

Get real. Common language is good for efficiency's sake, but you are astronomically overstating it's uniting effects in lieu of so many other differences.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Oh Canada...Switzerland...Belgium...South Africa...United Kingdom...China...India...Ile Maurice...

There are plenty of nations that are peaceful that have more than one language. Most students outside of the US must learn a second language starting in elementary school...here in high school. This really puts us at a disadvantage.
Switzerland is something of anomaly since it is not showing signs of fracture.
Belgium and Canada are showing signs of splitting up along linguistic lines.
The dominant language throughout the UK is indeed English-----------although Scotland and possibly Wales may want their independence.
China; being totalitarian, is trying to force the use of Mandarin across the board.
India, who knows?

As for Maurice, I do not know anything about it.

Needless to say: let all of the above serve as a warning that English should become the official tongue for the USA with Spanish, etc. having no official status.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Canada and Belgium have had a lot of problems with two dominent national languages.

It's not like either country is on the verge of civil war, but it's not like Dutch and French Belgians and Quebecois and Anglophone Canadians haven't had their problems, in fact, Quebec is almost completely seperate in so many aspects from the rest of Canada and seperatism is by no means an uncommon belief among the Quebecois. Also, the Quebec government has passed laws against public signage in any language other than French (that applies to English too).

I know because I lived in Canada for a few years. I don't think using Canada's situation as a shining example of how cultures and languages can get along. You have a whole province of Canada that is seperate from the rest of the country (and even the rest of the French speaking community of Canada) in so many ways, many residents actually want to break away and form their own country, and many of the residents are hostile towards any language other than French.

Are you sure you still want to use that as an example?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Most of the slaves came from West Africa, not Southern Africa.

The languages they spoke mixed with European languages and other mixes to become the Gullah in the southern U.S. and the Haitian Creole in Haiti.

But it is true that most descendants African slaves do not know the Western African languages of their ancestors.
I know personally someone who is kin of a slave of one of those sections of Africa(Africa has migrants too) but that isn't related to this topic.

So, why do you think you don't hear many native languages besides Spanish? There plenty of other cultures right here in San Diego. I believe it is the lack of assimilation. When I go to school to get the kids I can converse with every color except a large number of Spanish speakers. This includes one Panamanian according to my kids who also speak fluent Spanish.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,076,397 times
It mainly has to do with the levels of education.

Many Indian Subcontinent Americans, East Asian Americans, and people of African descent who come over here have values similar to the U.S. middle class and/or stress education.

It's not an absolute as there are members of those groups who have trouble in English.

Also in Houston I see signs in Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, and Arabic at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I know personally someone who is kin of a slave of one of those sections of Africa(Africa has migrants too) but that isn't related to this topic.

So, why do you think you don't hear many native languages besides Spanish? There plenty of other cultures right here in San Diego. I believe it is the lack of assimilation. When I go to school to get the kids I can converse with every color except a large number of Spanish speakers. This includes one Panamanian according to my kids who also speak fluent Spanish.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Back in the Wash DC area where I grew up; the South American kids (brown or White) all tended to speak English and wanted to assimilate. The only Hispanic holdouts tended to be Puerto Ricans (all US citizens admittedly) as well as folks from Mexico--------despite the latter being rare.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
In one word: yes.

Apparently you must either be very young or were nor at least raised here in the USA. Why I say that is us Americans unite when threatened by outsiders.
Yeah, Black and White people speak the same language. How's that working out on the grass roots level?

Except that few do.

Like I said. When there are more significant differences, speaking the same langauge isn't going to unite to groups with obviously different interests. And there are multiple groups in the same ethnicities int he US with different interests. Both immigrant and native.

You and me might work together if the same guy was shooting at both of us, but it's not because we like each other or want each other to succeed, but because it increases our own chance of survival. It's only a completely biological response to increase our chance of survival. It isn't like the average American really has any brotherhood with his fellow citizen.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Switzerland is something of anomaly since it is not showing signs of fracture.
Belgium and Canada are showing signs of splitting up along linguistic lines.
The dominant language throughout the UK is indeed English-----------although Scotland and possibly Wales may want their independence.
China; being totalitarian, is trying to force the use of Mandarin across the board.
India, who knows?

As for Maurice, I do not know anything about it.

Needless to say: let all of the above serve as a warning that English should become the official tongue for the USA with Spanish, etc. having no official status.
Belgium, Canada, and South Africa...show no signs of splitting along language boundaries. Scotland and Wales will most likely remain a part of the UK for a VERY long time.

China does not force the use of Mandarian across the board...go to Hong Kong or Shanghai.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Canada and Belgium have had a lot of problems with two dominent national languages.

It's not like either country is on the verge of civil war, but it's not like Dutch and French Belgians and Quebecois and Anglophone Canadians haven't had their problems, in fact, Quebec is almost completely seperate in so many aspects from the rest of Canada and seperatism is by no means an uncommon belief among the Quebecois. Also, the Quebec government has passed laws against public signage in any language other than French (that applies to English too).

I know because I lived in Canada for a few years. I don't think using Canada's situation as a shining example of how cultures and languages can get along. You have a whole province of Canada that is seperate from the rest of the country (and even the rest of the French speaking community of Canada) in so many ways, many residents actually want to break away and form their own country, and many of the residents are hostile towards any language other than French.

Are you sure you still want to use that as an example?
Yes, because every year the separatists take a poll, and consistently the want to become independent diminishes.

As for Belgium, few people care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration