Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
IMO it doesn't. It has more to do with responsible policies on the part of its government even if President Kaczinski is certfiably crazy - but those serving under him are not.

Ultimately, I think good government is more important than diversity or lack of diversity in a country's success. Bad governments can turn First World countries into Second World countries. I was just commenting on your listing 3 problematic countries as diverse and 3 countries that have had good reps in the past (2 of which still have good reps) rather than North Korea, Cambodia, and Albania.
Yes..I did this, trying to bring into question the 'party line' that "diversity is, by definition, good". My point was that it was JUST as likely to be a negative thing as a positive one.

Albania. though? Isn't it pretty diverse, in the sense that it was Europe's last "tribal" society? I seem to recall quite a bit of inter-ethnic 'jostling' there, (as in MOST of the Balkan region). Not sure I'd call Albania 'homogenous'.

MOST countries probably could be called 'diverse', in the sense we use that term today. But in many cases, their 'diversity' is looked upon as a great part of the reason for their internal stresses. I'm not aware of ANY society promoting 'diversity' as a goal in itself, up until relatively recent years....and those that DO, seem to be "pushing hard" to convince themselves, rather than just seeing it as a 'fact of life'. That was my point.

Interesting discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,168 times
The problem with "celebrating" diversity is that those who embrace this dogma aren't talking about diverse skin color or eye color. They're talking about diverse cultures. And this is where I profoundly object.

I've said it so many times, but I'll say it again. I find that there is nothing to celebrate about clashing cultures trying to live under one government. I have no problem with a multi-cultural WORLD; I do, however, see huge problems with multi-cultural countries, cities, and towns.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
The problem with "celebrating" diversity is that those who embrace this dogma aren't talking about diverse skin color or eye color. They're talking about diverse cultures. And this is where I profoundly object.

I've said it so many times, but I'll say it again. I find that there is nothing to celebrate about clashing cultures trying to live under one government. I have no problem with a multi-cultural WORLD; I do, however, see huge problems with multi-cultural countries, cities, and towns.
Re: skin color; a Black person born/raised in Germany would be perceived as German by most Americans-----------especially if said individual was a citizen of said nation (Germany does not have birthright citizenship unless at least one parent is a German citizen).

Old 04-25-2009, 10:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes..I did this, trying to bring into question the 'party line' that "diversity is, by definition, good". My point was that it was JUST as likely to be a negative thing as a positive one.

Albania. though? Isn't it pretty diverse, in the sense that it was Europe's last "tribal" society?
Yes, plenty of regional/language related rivalries based on Gheg and Tosk divisions, and also the Greek minority in Northern Epirus (southern Albania) The Ghegs and Tosks do have the same ancestors even though people owe their loyalties to which dialect they speak, their hometowns and families, and not so much to the nation at large....

Quote:
Not sure I'd call Albania 'homogenous'.
Only in comparison to the rest of the Balkans.

Quote:
I'm not aware of ANY society promoting 'diversity' as a goal in itself, up until relatively recent years....
Switzerland?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:

Switzerland?
I don't know..did Switzerland 'set out' to be the tri-lingual place it is, (or 'quadrilingual').....or did it just "happen that way", and then they were able to deal with it succesfully?

Honestly, I'm not familiar enough with Swiss history to know. I DO know its compact size makes it a far different matter to govern, than a large, continent wide 'construct would be.
I ALSO don't know if the Italian-, French-, and German-Swiss "see" themselves as "Italians, French, and Germans", but I doubt it very much. I rather suspect they have a strong sense of being Swiss. That probably helps overcome any serious divisions...

Old 04-26-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't know..did Switzerland 'set out' to be the tri-lingual place it is, (or 'quadrilingual').....or did it just "happen that way", and then they were able to deal with it succesfully?
It more or less happened that way.

Honestly, I'm not familiar enough with Swiss history to know. I DO know its compact size makes it a far different matter to govern, than a large, continent wide 'construct would be.
I ALSO don't know if the Italian-, French-, and German-Swiss "see" themselves as "Italians, French, and Germans", but I doubt it very much.[/quote]

I have friends in Switzerland who are Americans. One is a legal resident who married a Swiss woman and two are illegal immigrants. From what they tell me, the Swiss-Germans have the strongest "Swiss identity" and feel like they're the real Swiss. Also, Swiss German differs more from German than the French or Italian of Switzerland differs from standard Italian (other than the Romanche dialect/language of Grissons which is dying out.) The Swiss-Italians identify with Italy more - they root for AC Milan and the Italian national football/soccer team. This is most likely because there are fewer Swiss-Italians than Swiss-French or Swiss-Germans. It was the Swiss-German vote that kept Switzerland from joining the EU, which my friends all thought would be the inevitable result of said election. (As for Switzerland and illegal immigrants - the Swiss government and law enforcement looks the other way when it comes to American illegals, whom they really don't care about. Americans are not seen as troublemakers. Both of my illegal immigrant friends were able to find jobs without a problem. The Swiss government is concerned about North African illegals, NOT American illegals.)

Quote:
I rather suspect they have a strong sense of being Swiss. That probably helps overcome any serious divisions...
It has more to do with Swiss affluence. Just as in many neighborhoods in the USA, when diversity is accompanied by wealth, or when diversity is combined with a strong, solid middle class, there are fewer tensions.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 AM

[quote]
Quote:
It more or less happened that way.

I ALSO don't know if the Italian-, French-, and German-Swiss "see" themselves as "Italians, French, and Germans", but I doubt it very much.

I have friends in Switzerland who are Americans. One is a legal resident who married a Swiss woman and two are illegal immigrants. From what they tell me, the Swiss-Germans have the strongest "Swiss identity" and feel like they're the real Swiss. Also, Swiss German differs more from German than the French or Italian of Switzerland differs from standard Italian (other than the Romanche dialect/language of Grissons which is dying out.) The Swiss-Italians identify with Italy more - they root for AC Milan and the Italian national football/soccer team. This is most likely because there are fewer Swiss-Italians than Swiss-French or Swiss-Germans. It was the Swiss-German vote that kept Switzerland from joining the EU, which my friends all thought would be the inevitable result of said election. (As for Switzerland and illegal immigrants - the Swiss government and law enforcement looks the other way when it comes to American illegals, whom they really don't care about. Americans are not seen as troublemakers. Both of my illegal immigrant friends were able to find jobs without a problem. The Swiss government is concerned about North African illegals, NOT American illegals.)

It has more to do with Swiss affluence. Just as in many neighborhoods in the USA, when diversity is accompanied by wealth, or when diversity is combined with a strong, solid middle class, there are fewer tensions.
You nailed it in a nutshell: despite surface differences; affluent people tend to have a lot in common with one another i.e. strong work ethic, a demand for law and order, sobriety, respect fior education as well as a lack of childish machismo.

Here in the USA; wherever one sees a lot of East Indians, the Pakistanis tend to be close by---------often living right next door. Despite both groups being at loggerheads back 'home'---------said ethnic groups are too busy going to school/making $$$ to even bother with fighting.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,412,714 times
[quote=ArizonaBear;8520855]
Quote:

You nailed it in a nutshell: despite surface differences; affluent people tend to have a lot in common with one another i.e. strong work ethic, a demand for law and order, sobriety, respect fior education as well as a lack of childish machismo.

Here in the USA; wherever one sees a lot of East Indians, the Pakistanis tend to be close by---------often living right next door. Despite both groups being at loggerheads back 'home'---------said ethnic groups are too busy going to school/making $$$ to even bother with fighting.
I live in a community with a large population of the immigrants that you have mentioned. They are indeed, educated, English speaking, have low birth rates and the majority are doctors and engineers. They are the ideal example of what happens when those from different countries and cultures immigrate to the US legally. They are the total opposite of those from SOB who come here and give birth every 9 months, looking for handouts or dreaming up other criminal scheme in the fulfillment of their version of coming to America for "a better life. "

My immigrant neighbors have worked hard and have become successful (many are very wealthy) professionals. They and their children are very much representative of immigrants who have assimilated, successfully and self sufficiently obtained the American dream.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 04-26-2009 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 AM

[quote=JDubsMom;8521232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I live in a community with a large population of the immigrants that you have mentioned. They are indeed, educated, English speaking, have low birth rates and the majority are doctors and engineers. They are the ideal example of what happens when those from different countries and cultures immigrate to the US legally. They are the total opposite of those from SOB who come here and give birth every 9 months, looking for handouts or dreaming up other criminal scheme in the fulfillment of their version of coming to America for "a better life.'
OTOH, the immigrants from those same countries who go to Great Britain DO tend to fall into the latter category, not the former.

Interesting that South Asians in the US are the least crime prone group in American society and the least likely group to join gangs, while in the UK they are the MOST crime prone group in British society and the MOST likely to join gangs.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:

OTOH, the immigrants from those same countries who go to Great Britain DO tend to fall into the latter category, not the former.

Interesting that South Asians in the US are the least crime prone group in American society and the least likely group to join gangs, while in the UK they are the MOST crime prone group in British society and the MOST likely to join gangs.
I have heard that said as well.

Unless the USA attracts a different cultural variant of Indo-Paks...............surmising here.

A friend of mine who is E Indian is quite culturally 'Anglo'-----------we went to high school together outside of Wash DC 30+ years ago. And the irony is her maiden name is quite English whereas her Nordic White step brother has an 'ethnic' sounding surname similar to my birth name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration