Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,375,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You've posted essentially the same thing a bunch of times. If you really think spending all the resources on deporting somebody who is going to turn around and come back in next week than that's fine, I think it's a huge waste. The seized assets portion is questionable in low profile cases. Once again, too much resources required with lawyers and courts, wouldn't be worth it.
To a point you're right, if we deported everyone today 90% of them would be back within a few months time. If we got rid of sanctuary cities, cut off benefits for illegals, severely punished employers for hiring illegals, and got rid of the 14th amendment loophole, they would all leave by themselves at no cost to us, and they wouldn't come back because there would be nothing here for them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,410,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
To a point you're right, if we deported everyone today 90% of them would be back within a few months time. If we got rid of sanctuary cities, cut off benefits for illegals, severely punished employers for hiring illegals, and got rid of the 14th amendment loophole, they would all leave by themselves at no cost to us, and they wouldn't come back because there would be nothing here for them.
That would be one way to do it but it is far easier to list that stuff off than it would be to plan, implement and enforce them. I work in HR and deal alot with hiring practices and identity checks and can tell you that punishing employers for hiring illegals is a far more complex issue than most people realize. If somebody is undocumented but has flawless false documents there isn't a whole lot the employer can do, all they can really be asked to do is adhere to proper hiring practices, go through e-verify or another ID check for all new hires, and thoroughly investigate any received allegations of employees working who are undocumented and take appropriate action as a result of the investigation. The only way a flawless false ID would get nabbed is if the employer gets a call from a Child Support office or a concerned tax payer because double earnings or tax record are showing up.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That would be one way to do it but it is far easier to list that stuff off than it would be to plan, implement and enforce them. I work in HR and deal alot with hiring practices and identity checks and can tell you that punishing employers for hiring illegals is a far more complex issue than most people realize. If somebody is undocumented but has flawless false documents there isn't a whole lot the employer can do, all they can really be asked to do is adhere to proper hiring practices, go through e-verify or another ID check for all new hires, and thoroughly investigate any received allegations of employees working who are undocumented and take appropriate action as a result of the investigation. The only way a flawless false ID would get nabbed is if the employer gets a call from a Child Support office or a concerned tax payer because double earnings or tax record are showing up.
Maybe "knowingly" hiring illegals is a better way to put it. As far as the false documents, it seems e-verify would put and end to those scams.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Maybe "knowingly" hiring illegals is a better way to put it. As far as the false documents, it seems e-verify would put and end to those scams.
E-verify only finds if 4 pieces of info match up, these being name (first and last), SSN, DOB and gender. It is difficult but not impossible to get a false identity with all of these pieces and then you'd pass an E-verify inquiry.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
E-verify only finds if 4 pieces of info match up, these being name (first and last), SSN, DOB and gender. It is difficult but not impossible to get a false identity with all of these pieces and then you'd pass an E-verify inquiry.
True, I'm sure some would find a way, but it would cut it down considerably I think. I think in additon to punishing employers we should increase the punishment for falsifying documents. While some will always find a way, there's some pretty basic things we could be doing now to cut it way, way down.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 PM

I completely agree that requiring E-verify for all companies nationwide is an excellent first step and it would certainly cut down on undocumented workers for "over the table" jobs. It isn't perfect but it's definitely better than what most companies currently have in place. I would support requiring this and then punishing companies that fail to use it.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
E-Verify protects employers as well. If an employee turns out to be a fraud; the ball is then in LE's court.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Minor annoyances? You have got to be kidding. We are living this mess and it's not a "minor annoyance".

Go sit 11 hours in a local ER with your kid vomitting non-stop while the horde walks to the front, claim they can't speak English,don't have insurance and refuse to give a name. I've lived through that multiple times in the last 10 years.

Undocumented Immigrants' Childbirth Is Top Emergency Medicaid Expense - washingtonpost.com
Uninsured find a way | The San Diego Union-Tribune
FOXNews.com - L.A. Emergency Rooms Full of Illegal Immigrants - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
The ER Closed in Van Nuys/North Hills Area 4 Years ago and the only one within the area because of that situation you said. I am a Kaiser Member and Regularly take my kids to the Panorama City one (about 4 miles away) I just hope that one dosent get shut down. The situation should take priority if your child is sick and vomiting the staff itself should have some common sense and help your child and get her/him treated right away!! In Hospitals it has to be about Priority!! #1

Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsls80 View Post
The ER Closed in Van Nuys/North Hills Area 4 Years ago and the only one within the area because of that situation you said. I am a Kaiser Member and Regularly take my kids to the Panorama City one (about 4 miles away) I just hope that one dosent get shut down. The situation should take priority if your child is sick and vomiting the staff itself should have some common sense and help your child and get her/him treated right away!! In Hospitals it has to be about Priority!! #1
The Panorama City hospital is a nightmare, too! Matter of fact, any hospital in the San Fernando Valley is just as bad. The ONLY medical center I went to in Van Nuys which wasn't littered with non-English speakers was the urgent care at Valley Presbyterian over on Vanowen.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 PM

614 posts, read 1,767,361 times
Your idea makes sense but i don't like the idea of it because if you think about all those immigrants planned on coming here illegally in the 1st place now have easy access to come here easily and legally. I don't think they deserve to come here that easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration