Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:11 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

And people can’t understand why anger is growing.

Quote:
More than 100 University of California Berkeley workers and students rallied on the steps of Sproul Plaza Wednesday, May 13, to protest the arrest of an undocumented immigrant worker by UC police last month.

“Apparently a woman who was unable to get benefits for her child because she was told his Social Security number showed he was earning too much money to be eligible reported the misuse of his number to that city's PD,” Felde said in an e-mail. “Campus police interviewed the custodian who they say acknowledged using a false Social Security, and he was arrested for false impersonation on April 30. Immigration got involved afterwards; UCPD’s investigation was related to the question of using false stolen identification.”

“We need to stand in solidarity for Jesus Gutierrez,” Arreguin, who was present at the rally, said. “As an alumnus of UC Berkeley I am offended that UC is doing this to a person who is fighting for justice.”

“It’s horrible that the university takes part in the demoralization of workers who maintain the university and without whom this place would not work,” she said. “It’s a harassment on workers’ rights.”

“It’s a violation of his rights as a worker and a resident of a city which is a sanctuary city regardless of his immigration status,” she said. “I think this incident also created a pressure point on why we need a comprehensive immigration reform that will include full labor and human rights protection.”
UC Berkeley Workers, Students Protest Arrest of Immigrant Custodian. Category: News from The Berkeley Daily Planet - Thursday May 14, 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:51 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
>insert barfing icon here<

Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
What douchebag liberals! Cry me an F'ing river.

Because of the guys illegal use of someone elses SS#, which caused her monitary harm.

Throw the criminal back across the boarder. That is a job, an American will do. But are they willing to pay a livable wage??

Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
this is why no one takes liberals seriously and california is not a state.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
this is why no one takes liberals seriously and california is not a state.
Lapsed liberal here and no longer living in California.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM

807 posts, read 1,302,940 times
Wow! Gotta love Berkeley!! Where else can someone commit Identity Theft and use someone else's SSN to get a UNION job and have people protesting and up in arms over the loss of the job due to using a STOLEN identity to get that job??

Now they want a "Sanctuary Campus"? Why not just allow ALL criminals to roam free on the campus? Let's let all the rapists, murderers, and muggers know that Berkeley LOVES Criminals!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Wow! Gotta love Berkeley!! Where else can someone commit Identity Theft and use someone else's SSN to get a UNION job and have people protesting and up in arms over the loss of the job due to using a STOLEN identity to get that job??

Now they want a "Sanctuary Campus"? Why not just allow ALL criminals to roam free on the campus? Let's let all the rapists, murderers, and muggers know that Berkeley LOVES Criminals!!!
OK: I will admit that I enjoyed visiting Bezerkley back in 1978-79 due to its funky eateries, bookstores, 'freaks', etc.

That loser town today........I think not. What really tore it for me was the city council/UCB (forgot which) basically ran our military recruiters out not long ago.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:53 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,726 times
What about the kid whose social security number was stolen? What about HIS rights?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
I wonder if this guy is going to say he didn't know the number belonged to someone. Hey, it worked for someone else!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
What about the kid whose social security number was stolen? What about HIS rights?
Americans have no rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration