Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Would Mexican Americans support the USA in a war against Mexico??

What's a "Mexican-American"? If that term is meant to describe those Spanish sur-named of the American SW whose roots go back many decades -- then yes, because that is a pretty patriotic American bunch for the most part.

If it also applies to those Spanish surnamed from Mexico who arrived after the 1910s and into the 1950's then I would think most would support the USA because many of them fled Mexico for political reasons.

But if it means any Mexican living in the USA and includes that 1980's amnestied and those millions arriving ever since, then don't count on it. They aren't waving their Mexican flag for no reason, and they aren't joining racist supremacy groups like La Raza because they want to be true Americans. Many mean it when they say that the USA is theirs now and they want the gringos out.

And there aren't Mexican Consulates going up like 7-11s for no reason either.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What's a "Mexican-American"? If that term is meant to describe those Spanish sur-named of the American SW whose roots go back many decades -- then yes, because that is a pretty patriotic American bunch for the most part.

If it also applies to those Spanish surnamed from Mexico who arrived after the 1910s and into the 1950's then I would think most would support the USA because many of them fled Mexico for political reasons.

But if it means any Mexican living in the USA and includes that 1980's amnestied and those millions arriving ever since, then don't count on it. They are waving their Mexican flag for no reason, and they aren't joining racist supremacy groups like La Raza because they want to be true Americans. Many mean it when they say that the USA is theirs now and they want the gringos out.

Not all 'Mexican-Americans' have Spanish surnames--------Bill Richardson and Mitt Romney also come to mind (both man had at least one parent born/raised in Mexico).

Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,209,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post

German American Bund parade on East 86th St., New York City, October 30, 1939

German American Bund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The German American Bund quickly disbanded once Germany declared war on the USA in 1941. About 1/3 of the US military was made up of people who were of German descent too.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,521,056 times
Quote:

But if it means any Mexican living in the USA and includes that 1980's amnestied and those millions arriving ever since, then don't count on it. They aren't waving their Mexican flag for no reason, and they aren't joining racist supremacy groups like La Raza because they want to be true Americans. Many mean it when they say that the USA is theirs now and they want the gringos out.

Honestly I don't think you can speak for those from 80's on either.

I think the reason Mexicans join La Raza et al. is because they feel they are discriminated against here in the United States, which they are. La Raza is the ACLU for Hispanics IMO.

"La Raza" (The Race) is a broad term which refers to those whose ancestry is indigenous to the area of Mexico (or "Aztlan"). I think some of you take "La Raza" has a hateful term and try to blow it up to more than what it is, it is a very common term.

If you go to San Diego's Balboa Park it is actually painted into the mural on the side of a wall there, you can learn about La Raza and what it means to the indigenous people of Mexico. Centro Cultural de la Raza

http://www.centroculturaldelaraza.org/images/NoBordersFlyer_web.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Mach50; 04-23-2008 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,881,054 times
Default Numbers

Folks,

I think it comes down to sheer numbers. More Mexicans are coming to the US than Germans ever did. With so many coming, it is much easier to not assimilate and just live around fellow illegals who also don't speak the language.

I would also argue that the harder it is to get to the US, the more motivated an immigrant must be. My ancestors had to get on boats in the 1600 and 1700s and cross the Atlantic, vs. Mexicans (some are my friends) who simply get in a van or truck and cross the border or walk across. A few swim too.

Immigrants who can afford a plane ticket here start with a huge advantage, generally more education and money, vs those who can hardly afford to pay a coyote.

I really do wish more Mexicans would learn the language as this would really aid them in getting better jobs. Being a hard worker only gets you so far if you can't do basic math, type or read or speak English. Most illegals would not be able to correspond on a forum such as this because they don't have those basic skills to get ahead in life. I still respect them more, however, than our entitled underclass that refuses to work for minimum wage, instead letting the illegal do the work.

With more and more illegals here all the time, mostly from Mexico, it will be easier for them to not learn our language which only holds them back. My illegal friends all speak fluent English and have decent jobs ($12-18/hr), though they could have much better jobs with proper papers. These are women, not construction workers who can do the job of any person with an associates in business from community college.

The only way those who are here will ever fully assimilate is if we stem the flow of illegals. Building the fence will help do this though they will find other ways to get in. If they can smuggle drugs by the truckload in I am sure they will continue to smuggle people in, but at least the fence will help stem the flow.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,138,320 times
Quote:
Would Mexican Americans support the USA in a war against Mexico??
As an American of Mexican decent, I would like to say I WOULD!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:55 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,209,534 times
Quote:

The ones who have come since the 80s probably make up about 60% of Mexican Americans.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,521,056 times
Quote:
The ones who have come since the 80s probably make up about 60% of Mexican Americans.
In California alone, 70% of Mexicans were legal.

I highly doubt there are enough illegals vs legals in other states to throw that ratio off.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
California alone, 70% of Mexicans were legal.

I highly doubt there are enough illegals vs legals in other states to throw that ratio off.
'Mexicans' as in immigrants (legal or illegal) from SOB or Americans of 'Mexican' heritage re: the above figure?

Old 04-23-2008, 04:16 PM

451 posts, read 311,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
'Mexicans' as in immigrants (legal or illegal) from SOB or Americans of 'Mexican' heritage re: the above figure?
Who cares, the reality is that they are mostly legal, and the un documented ones usually have anchor babies to assure their own stay, their population will continue growing at more than twice the national average for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration