Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 08:35 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,302,646 times

Advertisements

It is just this simple:
www.ssa.gov/bso/

Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,947,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
The ticket price has nothing to do with what language you speak. And before paying it, you always have the option of not paying it and doing something less expensive for the day - like going to see a movie or taking the family on a picnic.

Disney is very big on diversity and intercultural acceptance. I believe you and your wife could learn and grow as employees (also known as cast members) there.

Couple things here, how do you determine people to be rude just because they are speaking in a different language? You have to understand that the parents or guardians of several children are focused on keeping the group together and might not have noticed you if you didn't say anything. to just assume they were rude and cutting in line enmasse doesn't seem like a fair assessment of one incident.

If someone slapped your wife's fanny, you should have addressed it right then and there by getting the attention of a cast member (employee) to report it.

I wonder if they were returning the looks you were giving them. You have expressed how unhappy you were and even titled this thread Sad day at Disneyland. I suspect they were trying to show you how you appeared to them. It's so easy to see the speck in someone else's eye when you can't see the beam in your own.

Sounds like they work hard for their money and wanted to splurge with the family on the same day you decided to attend. Perhaps you should have asked what they do for a living and ask if they need any help. Never hurts to keep your employment options open.

I don't think you are able to really assess that all these patrons could not speak English. It sounds as though they were speaking casually among themselves and if I were in another country but in the company of English speaking people, I would be speaking English inside my own group. I know for a fact that the population at Disney is not Spanish speaking. I know people who work there and they speak English first and foremost.

You asked one man, one older man about it. I think you should have asked more than just one man. Perhaps asking to speak with someone in management would have been the better solution. Guest Relations is a good place to start. They can always find a manager for any guest that has issues with their overall experience.

I have to wonder how exactly any company *almost requires* employees (cast members) to do anything. The wording alone should be a clue that there was a disgruntled cast member(employee) in front of you. I really wish you had gone to someone else.

How is it that you just know what these people do for a living and what they make? I'm not sure why you have a problem with people spending their money right here in the USA. Thank goodness that they chose to spend it right here rather than send it out of the country. How can anyone be upset about that?
Nobody likes any kind of race to be rude, miss know-it-all.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,843,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think Walt Disney would turn over in his grave, if he knew what his beloved DisneyLand has turned into. From what I read on this, it doesnt sound like the wholesome fantasyland it was years ago. I also don't want to be in public places in my own country, where English is not the primary language.
Why? Do you think that other languages are unwholesome?

Old 05-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Walt Disney was Hispanic.
Childhood
Walter Elias Disney was born on 5 December 1901 at Chicago, Illinois. His father, Elias Disney, was an Irish-Canadian and his mother, Flora Call Disney, was a German-American. Hmmm...you are wrong my friend.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,843,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
You can usually tell when someone uses (and knows) spanish AND english when they start speaking spanglish, using english words when they cant think of a spanish word that fits. These people were purely spanish speaking (the ones I was listening too at least in the crowds/lines) or else their young children would know some english and they would speak at least a few words of english in their conversation.
You know, I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant day and that a place that you used to enjoy has been ruined for you. But I am wondering here if perhaps you are focusing a bit too much on the conversations of others. It does sound as if the place was very crowded, which never makes for much fun. If you decide to go again, perhaps you'd have a better time if you concentrated more on conversation with your companions rather than listening too much to the others in line.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,710,990 times
^^I immediately went to Wiki too to see if Walt was hispanic. Sure enough, he wasn't.

At any rate, he would be sad (as well as one of the only few caucasians) if he were to walk through his park today.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:47 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,915,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
^^I immediately went to Wiki too to see if Walt was hispanic. Sure enough, he wasn't.

At any rate, he would be sad (as well as one of the only few caucasians) if he were to walk through his park today.
Why does it matter about the caucasian issue? Just curious...

Old 05-24-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Therein lies the rub: the (mostly Mestizo Hispanic) illegal aliens have besmirched the good name of Americans whose families came from Mexico, etc.

For that matter: my step-sister; who is of Irish/Italian lineage gets mistaken for Puerto Rican a lot----------her skin is that dark. Yet she is is 100% Anglo White in the legal sense.
There is all different shades of people, my son is Half Korean, and to other caucasians he looks very Asian. However, to other Asians he is very light skin.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You know, I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant day and that a place that you used to enjoy has been ruined for you. But I am wondering here if perhaps you are focusing a bit too much on the conversations of others. It does sound as if the place was very crowded, which never makes for much fun. If you decide to go again, perhaps you'd have a better time if you concentrated more on conversation with your companions rather than listening too much to the others in line.
For some reason, spanish is spoken extremely loudly. I was enjoying the company of the people with me...but in hour long lines, you look around at other things going on.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Why does it matter about the caucasian issue? Just curious...
A poster claimed Walt was Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration