Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,740,421 times

Advertisements

It boils my blood when the pro illegal side wants to turn this whole fiasco into a race thing.

Mexican, is not the same as Hispanic.

Since when did Mexican, become a race of people? Is Canadian a race? How about German's, Italians, Polish, French......

Someones nationality is not a race, to even turn it into a racial battle.

Who else gets bent out of shape, when they pull the race card???????

Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It boils my blood when the pro illegal side wants to turn this whole fiasco into a race thing.

Mexican, is not the same as Hispanic.

Since when did Mexican, become a race of people? Is Canadian a race? How about German's, Italians, Polish, French......

Someones nationality is not a race, to even turn it into a racial battle.

Who else gets bent out of shape, when they pull the race card???????
Anymore: very few nations are comprised of essentially a single race of people.

i.e. I have met English people where were Black; needless to say, I perceived them as Brits.

Sheer desperation on the part of the pro illegal crowd; pure and simple. They know they are fast losing the war of public opinion concerning amnesty and are grasping at straws.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,575,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
These all became races at about the same time. I have a neighbor who's half Jewish and half Swiss; his daughter is married to a Person of Color, and his wife is Canadian and Mormon, mixed. I have other neighbors who are Greek, Mexican, muslim, Hispanic, and Middle Easterner....plus a few Americans, too..and one Catholic

Old 05-25-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
These all became races at about the same time. I have a neighbor who's half Jewish and half Swiss; his daughter is married to a Person of Color, and his wife is Canadian and Mormon, mixed. I have other neighbors who are Greek, Mexican, muslim, Hispanic, and Middle Easterner....plus a few Americans, too..and one Catholic
Priceless.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,485,650 times
Pulling the race card permits them to appeal to a larger audience. I think they try to cast the widest possible net in order to lay claim to the greatest amount of victimhood. Opposition to illegal immigration becomes discrimination against all hispanics. This draws many more people to their 'cause'.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Pulling the race card permits them to appeal to a larger audience. I think they try to cast the widest possible net in order to lay claim to the greatest amount of victimhood. Opposition to illegal immigration becomes discrimination against all hispanics. This draws many more people to their 'cause'.
And; unlike the Civil Rights Movement of 50 years ago; pulling said 'race card' is backfiring against illegal aliens and their enablers.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 AM

163 posts, read 241,280 times
What they don't realize is that we are fast becoming immune to the old "race card" scam. It's become overused and tired. We are no longer bothered by their desperate taunts.

In the issue of illegal immigration, calling someone who feels the laws should be followed and that people who are here illegally need to leave racist no longer has the effect it once did.

I am an American. I believe that anyone who wants to come here from another nation and become American is all ways are welcome and those who want to circumvent our laws and do nothing more than take what they can get while staying loyal to their country of origin need to be removed. If that makes me a racist in their eyes, so be it. I know I'm not.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:39 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,311,776 times
Lets understand something about Illegal Immigration:

People focus on those coming from Mexico BUT, the REALITY is, illegals are coming from MANY nations -

The Border Patrol along the border in Arizona have taken into custody Illegal Immigrants from 22 Countries!

Perhaps some are being very myopic in their viewpoints.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,915,761 times
What about those people who like to pull "My neighborhood is being overrun by Spanish speakers. All they play is Mariachi music. They wave their Mexican flags day and night. I don't like how they all look like xyz"? I mean the stereotypes and generalizations do occur on the anti-illegal side too. They tend to create Mexicans as a race of people as well.

If anything, talking about third world cultures, lack of English speaking, Spanish only, Mexican flag waving...I think that both sides are guilty.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:07 PM

640 posts, read 1,734,088 times
I think it is easy to generalize and equate nationality and race because most illegal immigrants I've seen are overwhelmingly indigenous Indian. Are there Mexicans of other races? Absolutely. I plan on going into the medical field and I shadowed two pediatric neurologists who were here from Mexico. And they were definitely white. In fact, when I met them I thought they were Russian. No joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration