Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:47 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

This is the town of Postville, Iowa where the largest immigration raid in US history took place. One year later, locals reevaluate. There are no businesses, some went bankrupt and many are moving out. Is this how you want your town to look? If there are no businesses, there are no jobs, no way to survive.

How an immigration raid changed a town | csmonitor.com

FYI-I am not advocating for more illegal immigrants to enter this country. I am simply looking for the best solution to those that are already here and can help keep our economy going as well as keeping their families together as long as they are not violent criminals.
Tough luck for them then. They shouldn't have lived their lives around the illegals. It is their own fault. It is a good thing that illegals got rounded up. I would love to see even more raids, but Obama loves illegals and other criminals. He especially loves tax dodgers. That would probably be why he loves illegals so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 06:54 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Postville Iowa --- isn't this the town where the kosher packing house was located?
If so then what exactly is that town missing besides warm bodies? The plant only paid the illegals a whopping $5 an hour, and I assure you that even in Iowa that doesn't go far.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Since our official unemployment rate is ca. 9.5% and growing: that bit about Postville unable to find replacement help I do not believe----------assuming that the employer was willing to pay appropriate wages.

Face it: Americans/green card holders (including Mexicans) have rights under our First World society and do not have to accept flagrantly dangerous working conditions, etc. that may be acceptable SoB, etc.

thats the problem define appropriate for the employer, after all he does have to make a profit. Some people just want everything for nothing.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
thats the problem define appropriate for the employer, after all he does have to make a profit. Some people just want everything for nothing.
Then such employers need to move their operations to another country if they are not willing to cough up the $$$ for legal help. I can all but guarantee that the above would need to head to a Third World nation since any First World land has things like labor laws-----------and, enforces them.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,005 times
Here is another factory going closing after a raid.

Raided Bay State factory will close - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1175650&format=comments#Comments Area - broken link)

Old 06-07-2009, 08:57 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,413,672 times
Quote:
Here is another factory going closing after a raid.

Raided Bay State factory will close - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1175650&format=comments#Comments Area - broken link)
Amnesty for illegal aliens - THE AMERICAN RESISTANCE FOUNDATION

Quote:
Unemployment (Household Survey Data)
Quote:

The number of unemployed persons increased by 787,000 to 14.5 million
in May, and the unemployment rate rose to 9.4 percent. Since the start
of the recession in December 2007, the number of unemployed persons has
risen by 7.0 million, and the unemployment rate has grown by 4.5 percent-
age points. (See table A-1.)

Unemployment rates rose in May for adult men (9.8 percent), adult
women (7.5 percent), whites (8.6 percent), and Hispanics (12.7 percent).
The jobless rates for teenagers (22.7 percent) and blacks (14.9 percent)
were little changed over the month. The unemployment rate for Asians was
6.7 percent in May, not seasonally adjusted, up from 3.8 percent a year
earlier. (See tables A-1, A-2, and A-3.)

Among the unemployed, the number of job losers and persons who completed
temporary jobs rose by 732,000 in May to 9.5 million.
Employment Situation Summary
DREAM on . . . .Americans will be lining up for those jobs.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Amnesty for illegal aliens - THE AMERICAN RESISTANCE FOUNDATION

[b]

DREAM on . . . .Americans will be lining up for those jobs.
JDuds, its a reality. Its going to happen this time because Americans dont want to prolong it anymore and it looks like deportation is not an option. Ask your politicians, there is no way we can fund 42 billion, for just one state, much less for all 50. On the other hand, if you legalize them, they will be fined, there will be application fees and once legal, they can contribute even more in taxes to our economy. In any issue, money wins.

Sorry for your nightmare.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Now tell me why Americans didnt run to save these factories and take the jobs? If so many people are unemployeed why didnt they just get up and move where there are jobs available. I'm sure they would not pay a great deal of money but for starters, I'm sure they would be paying federal minimum wage. Outweigh no income to minimum wage...I would definately be taking minimum.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Now tell me why Americans didnt run to save these factories and take the jobs? If so many people are unemployeed why didnt they just get up and move where there are jobs available. I'm sure they would not pay a great deal of money but for starters, I'm sure they would be paying federal minimum wage. Outweigh no income to minimum wage...I would definately be taking minimum.
Well, in the case of the kosher packing house it was because the packing house was closed down by osha. Seems that an added benefit to the ICE raids was the realization that the packing house was operating in filth - hell it even had an operating meth lab on the premises.

As to other factories/packing houses I would guess that the owners closed down rather then have to pay out a living wage and benefits. I'm sure they have an accountant or two that assures them that it is more cost affective to relocate and hire more illegals then to stay put and have to pay the going rate plus benefits.

In short, the problem doesn't lie with 'lazy americans'. It lies soley with greedy corporations out to squeeze every last dime that they can at the expense of their fellow countrymen.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, in the case of the kosher packing house it was because the packing house was closed down by osha. Seems that an added benefit to the ICE raids was the realization that the packing house was operating in filth - hell it even had an operating meth lab on the premises.

As to other factories/packing houses I would guess that the owners closed down rather then have to pay out a living wage and benefits. I'm sure they have an accountant or two that assures them that it is more cost affective to relocate and hire more illegals then to stay put and have to pay the going rate plus benefits.

In short, the problem doesn't lie with 'lazy americans'. It lies soley with greedy corporations out to squeeze every last dime that they can at the expense of their fellow countrymen.
That makes sense Camping and no I was not calling Americans lazy but I do think that most Americans rather look for blue collar jobs than work at a meat packing company, leaving those jobs open for anyone without skills to work there.

I am in full support of it closing if that is the case (filth and meth lab). That doesnt mean that other raided factories will be sucessful in staying open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration