Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 AM

804 posts, read 1,359,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Again, what do crimes of this nature have to do with illegal immigration? So if I post of crime of a guy in Montana raping a 12 year old is that a case against people in Montana? Or is that a case that person should have never been born. If the guy is a redhead, is it a case against redheads? The verdict is still out whether or not illegals commit crimes at a higher level. We know that crime was lowest at the height of illegal immigration. We know that the economy influences crime. We know that Hispanics, are about at the national average in terms of incarceration rates (ALL Hispanics). We know that immigrants (regardless of legality) commit less violent crimes than the national average. So I ask what does this UNIQUELY have to do with illegal immigration as a WHOLE. Simply saying that if the person were not here the crime would not have happened is a horrible argument. If all criminals were aborted, then we would not have crime...it's the same logic (if the criminal wasn't here, the crime would not have happened). So that's the question I pose, what do these atrocious stories have ANYTHING to do with illegal immigration?

What happens is that the the people who post these kinds of news and tries to make blanket statements about illegal aliens from really small samples need a way to de-humanize illegal aliens, otherwise the rest of the people, at least the ones who are not radicals, will not believe them. Or will not have the drive to deport someone who is not a dangerous criminal.

It's all about advancing their political agenda. It's similar to when we show a working illegal alien. Even though this way more closely represents reality, it is done to gain a certain view of the illegal alien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
What happens is that the the people who post these kinds of news and tries to make blanket statements about illegal aliens from really small samples need a way to de-humanize illegal aliens, otherwise the rest of the people, at least the ones who are not radicals, will not believe them. Or will not have the drive to deport someone who is not a dangerous criminal.

It's all about advancing their political agenda. It's similar to when we show a working illegal alien. Even though this way more closely represents reality, it is done to gain a certain view of the illegal alien.
As if dehumanizing illegal aliens is a bad thing..............

We want those criminals gone.

Face it: since Bernia Madoff is facing serious time in the slammer---------why not illegals for ID theft, etc?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As if dehumanizing illegal aliens is a bad thing..............

We want those criminals gone.

Face it: since Bernia Madoff is facing serious time in the slammer---------why not illegals for ID theft, etc?
And the highlighted area reinforces my point. In my opinion, when people has to recur to de-humanizing other individuals in order to segregate them. It is because they know if people who are not radicals see the individuals as human they will not go for it.

I wonder what other groups tried to de-humanize their targets when trying to segregate them.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In other words, we should ignore crimes being committed by illegal aliens. We shouldn’t even categorize our crimes according to citizen/non-citizen. After all, we will always have violent criminals in our midst, so what the heck. We should simply embrace all illegal aliens, and take the good with the bad. We shouldn’t even be upset that foreigners can invade our country and victimize our citizens. Do I understand you correctly?
No. However, we should realize that these crimes are not unique to illegal immigrants and thus posting a direct correlation is misleading to many people. We should realize that the crimes committed have NOTHING to do with legality status.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,142 times
Quote:
As if dehumanizing illegal aliens is a bad thing.............
It is a bad thing.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It is a bad thing.
Note when I said 'dehumanizing': I was not referring to torture as defined under international law.

Needless to say: calling illegals criminals, seizing their assets, holding them in camps prior to their deportation, even stripping minor age Anchors of their US citizenship, etc. would all be OK in my book.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Note when I said 'dehumanizing': I was not referring to torture as defined under international law.

Needless to say: calling illegals criminals, seizing their assets, holding them in camps prior to their deportation, even stripping minor age Anchors of their US citizenship, etc. would all be OK in my book.
This is what dehumanizing is:

Quote:
dehumanization

One entry found.

Main Entry:de·hu·man·ize Pronunciation:\(ˌ)dē-ˈhyü-mə-ˌnīz, (ˌ)dē-ˈyü-\ Function:transitive verb Date:1818: to deprive of human qualities, personality, or spirit
— de·hu·man·i·za·tion \(ˌ)dē-ˌhyü-mə-nə-ˈzā-shən, (ˌ)dē-ˌyü-\ noun
Do you stand behind you post where you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear
As if dehumanizing illegal aliens is a bad thing.............

Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
This is what dehumanizing is:

Do you stand behind you post where you say:
I stand by what I stated.

Again: I have no problem whatsoever breaking the spirits of illegal aliens so they return home to their own countries.

If modern First World police tactics are acceptable in deterring/humiliating US citizen criminals; why should illegals be treated any better??

Old 06-15-2009, 02:24 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,407 times
Quote:
No. However, we should realize that these crimes are not unique to illegal immigrants and thus posting a direct correlation is misleading to many people. We should realize that the crimes committed have NOTHING to do with legality status.
Simply by enforcing immigration laws, we would eliminate the crimes committed by illegal aliens. It won't eliminate all crimes, but it will save that many victims. I never understood the "everyone commits crimes" stance. If the argument is "we can't stop them all", then why even have police? Why not let all criminals run amuck? Why even have jails? Why even make an attempt the eliminate crime?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
Quote:
True. Violent crimes are committed by every race/ethnicity, as well as citizenship status. That’s not the point. Citizens of this country have a right to be informed of the crimes being committed by foreigners who are illegally residing in our country. These aren’t victimless crimes, and they do impact the lives of millions. Should we ignore them?

I don’t believe anyone considers all illegal aliens to be violent criminals. However, it has been estimated that over 1 million sex crimes have been committed by illegal aliens. I’m sorry, but I think we have a right to know; just as we have a right to know if homegrown perverts are living in our neighborhoods. That is the premise behind requiring convicted sex offenders to register their home and work locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration