Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Get Involved In A Romantic Relationship With An Illegal Immigrant ?
Yes I Would 16 24.62%
No I Would Not Because I Do Not Date Criminals Who Break The Law 49 75.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
British and Irish illegals are considered the elite of illegal immigrants due to being English speaking. (Not to mention the British accent being regarded as "cultured" and "educated", even accents that are not considered "cultured" and "educated" in Britain like Scouse. And this isn't just true for whites only, I've noticed black Britons being treated similarly well in the US.) There are places where they congregate.
I percieve British Blacks differently as well-----------I see them as English people despite having darker skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Or you would not because you do not want to look like a hypocrite ?
I dated a guy who was on an expired visa from the UK. There was no way I would have known that at the beginning. His visa expired more than 15 years ago. He was a profesional and managed a Home Depot store. Even though he had no legal residence, he still had a legal permit to work. The relationship did not last for other reasons.

Marrying someone who is in the country illegally is not as simple as it used to be and for this reason I would not consider being in a serious relatioship with an undocumented immigrant. Now days, if you marry someone who is in the country illegally, it is a long process...court after court and in the end, they are still deported for a year before they can come back.

In the past, it used to be that once married, you submit an application and within a year, that person would be legal. Not so any more. I have friends that have married guys that were in the country illegally. They did it under the old policy...10 years or so. They have beautiful families and their husbands are great citizens. Under the new policy, it can really tear a family apart. I know a family whom I have advocated for. The wife and their three children are citizens. Every so often, he has to go to the immigration courts to continue with his process. It is long, tidious and risky because at any point he could be deported. It sounds like from the last court we had, he will be given one last court date and if all his paperwork is in place, he will be a legal resident. He has not seen his mother in 15 years, I have so much hope for him. He will be able to stay with his family, support his family and finally see his mother. The wife is anxious for this whole ordeal to end. It will be a blessing for her family. She says if she had to do it all over again, she would because he is an outstanding father and husband.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,648 times
No way and if you haven't noticed, you never see an illegal immigrant with anyone outside their race. There are some fools that do this for money, but they get caught.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
I am opposed to immigrants--so no. It's not a question of legality for me.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:18 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
No way and if you haven't noticed, you never see an illegal immigrant with anyone outside their race.
Right! And you know just like you noticed, because they have "illegal" written on their foreheads, because they have the "look", because they dont speak English and their music is obnoxious.

There is no way of telling someone's legal status by simply looking at them. That is called racial profiling.

Aside of the assumption that illegal immigrants only date their own "race". I have seen many who establish serious relationships with people outside their culture, ethnicity and race. How do I know this? Because I have taken the time to get to know them. You know when you sit down and have a conversation with people and establish a friendship? That kind of KNOW.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,234,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I dated a guy who was on an expired visa from the UK. There was no way I would have known that at the beginning. His visa expired more than 15 years ago. He was a profesional and managed a Home Depot store. Even though he had no legal residence, he still had a legal permit to work. The relationship did not last for other reasons.

Marrying someone who is in the country illegally is not as simple as it used to be and for this reason I would not consider being in a serious relatioship with an undocumented immigrant. Now days, if you marry someone who is in the country illegally, it is a long process...court after court and in the end, they are still deported for a year before they can come back.

In the past, it used to be that once married, you submit an application and within a year, that person would be legal. Not so any more. I have friends that have married guys that were in the country illegally. They did it under the old policy...10 years or so. They have beautiful families and their husbands are great citizens. Under the new policy, it can really tear a family apart. I know a family whom I have advocated for. The wife and their three children are citizens. Every so often, he has to go to the immigration courts to continue with his process. It is long, tidious and risky because at any point he could be deported. It sounds like from the last court we had, he will be given one last court date and if all his paperwork is in place, he will be a legal resident. He has not seen his mother in 15 years, I have so much hope for him. He will be able to stay with his family, support his family and finally see his mother. The wife is anxious for this whole ordeal to end. It will be a blessing for her family. She says if she had to do it all over again, she would because he is an outstanding father and husband.
Well I for one am happy they changed that law.
It begs to question what kind of character an illegal has by misrepresenting who and what they are. Its a long and tedious process? Perhaps if they hadn't cheated the system it wouldn't be such a burden.
No the system does not tear families apart anymore than it does for sending any other criminal to prison. The criminal through their own misdeeds harms the family.
By the way. Your illegal friend should be deported. Its the reward that he has earned through his own actions. If his wife loves him she can move to his native land with him. For better or worse comes to mind. Marry a criminal you accept the consequences.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Right! And you know just like you noticed, because they have "illegal" written on their foreheads, because they have the "look", because they dont speak English and their music is obnoxious.

There is no way of telling someone's legal status by simply looking at them. That is called racial profiling.

Aside of the assumption that illegal immigrants only date their own "race". I have seen many who establish serious relationships with people outside their culture, ethnicity and race. How do I know this? Because I have taken the time to get to know them. You know when you sit down and have a conversation with people and establish a friendship? That kind of KNOW.
The 'race card' is pretty much kaput..............the blowback is growing against at least Spanish speakers----------legal or not.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:57 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,415,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Or you would not because you do not want to look like a hypocrite ?
Just like a lib to load a question...

Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,507,929 times
If I truly thought it was worth pursuing I wouldn't let resident status stop me, of course we'd probably need to work on that by moving somewhere else.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:43 PM

411 posts, read 468,989 times
Quote:

In this country any situation is seen, how often do you see a bunch of
american girls or men falling in love with imprisoned criminals, I think that profiling goes both ways I know a lot of people that stereotype certain
groups of caucasians because of the way they care for themselves, their smell, way of talking, poor education etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration