Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
So then what would your argument be if the IAs were gone and we still have ~10% unemployment, then who would you blame then?
Maybe it is time to find out-----------by forcibly deporting all illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM

974 posts, read 1,589,793 times
Quote:
So then what would your argument be if the IAs were gone and we still have ~10% unemployment, then who would you blame then?

Then at that time, which I highly doubt would happen btw, we open up LEGAL immigration. There is a reason we have the Visa's and LEGAL immigration options. There is NO reason for Illegal Immigration whatsoever. There is nothing that can be said to rationalize it. It is ILLEGAL for a reason. We have laws and steps in place to allow LEGAL access to America.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Then at that time, which I highly doubt would happen btw, we open up LEGAL immigration. There is a reason we have the Visa's and LEGAL immigration options. There is NO reason for Illegal Immigration whatsoever. There is nothing that can be said to rationalize it. It is ILLEGAL for a reason. We have laws and steps in place to allow LEGAL access to America.
And; quite frankly, if we are going to have severe caps on legal immigration.........how about giving strong preference to folks who already speak English? I am referring to Mexicans, Filipinos, E Indians, Germans, as well as Brits, etc.

Face it: the USA can pick and choose who we let in-----------illegal alien apologists be damned.

Needless to say: illegals need not apply.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:32 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,543,412 times
[quote=Kellem;9559340](Highlight.) You should come over to Michigan, there are plenty of kids and old people working in fast food. I do not know their legal status, but they can speak English just fine. But as you said, as an employer I would more likely hire someone who is planning on staying working with me for a long time, than someone who is here for the summer. Specially if the job required any kind of training.

And you should take a trip to AZ, CA, FL or a host of other states where the workers all speak different languages. I lived in AZ for 30 years and actually watched so many jobs being overtaken with illegals who spoke mostly Spanish. It ticked me off to the point where I stopped going to fast food places. Even Chinese food was off limits - they hired the Chinese illegals. I'm happy I can eat Chinese again.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:50 AM

804 posts, read 1,362,005 times
[quote=tulani;9565836]
Quote:
(Highlight.) You should come over to Michigan, there are plenty of kids and old people working in fast food. I do not know their legal status, but they can speak English just fine. But as you said, as an employer I would more likely hire someone who is planning on staying working with me for a long time, than someone who is here for the summer. Specially if the job required any kind of training.

And you should take a trip to AZ, CA, FL or a host of other states where the workers all speak different languages. I lived in AZ for 30 years and actually watched so many jobs being overtaken with illegals who spoke mostly Spanish. It ticked me off to the point where I stopped going to fast food places. Even Chinese food was off limits - they hired the Chinese illegals. I'm happy I can eat Chinese again.
I lived in Phoenix, AZ for two years about 7 years ago, and in Austin, TX for 6 years. I generally do not eat fast food, but when I have, I have never had a problem communicating with the people working there.
I did enjoy some of the ***bertos stores that opened in Phoenix some time ago, the food was pretty good in some of them.

I also have only missed 1 spring break in the past 8 years usually gone to FL or CA. Have been to San Diego, Escondido, La Jolla, L.A., San Francisco, Panama City Beach, Pensacola, and Miami (generally south beach) and have never had problems communicating with someone who is working at a restaurant, even if the place is Asian, Latin American, or from any other place whose language I do not speak.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times
[quote=Kellem;9565950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for two years about 7 years ago, and in Austin, TX for 6 years. I generally do not eat fast food, but when I have, I have never had a problem communicating with the people working there.
I did enjoy some of the ***bertos stores that opened in Phoenix some time ago, the food was pretty good in some of them.

I also have only missed 1 spring break in the past 8 years usually gone to FL or CA. Have been to San Diego, Escondido, La Jolla, L.A., San Francisco, Panama City Beach, Pensacola, and Miami (generally south beach) and have never had problems communicating with someone who is working at a restaurant, even if the place is Asian, Latin American, or from any other place whose language I do not speak.
Come visit my neighborhood in Dallas sometime. Do you know how to say "number 6" in Spanish? You will need that. You will also need to learn how to say "This is change for a $10, I gave you a $20" and "I asked for no cheese on this", etc.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 AM

807 posts, read 1,304,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

In Northern California you practically have to know Spanish to get assistance at the gas station as many Illegals who barely, If AT ALL speak English have taken over the Gas station jobs as well..

Also, it is especially unappealing when ordering food at a Chinese, French, Japanese, Indian, etc.. restaurant and see people preparing the food in the back are all speaking spanish.. Can't help but think to myself "Am I going to get E-Coli poisoning from eating this?"

Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,375,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
In Northern California you practically have to know Spanish to get assistance at the gas station as many Illegals who barely, If AT ALL speak English have taken over the Gas station jobs as well..

Also, it is especially unappealing when ordering food at a Chinese, French, Japanese, Indian, etc.. restaurant and see people preparing the food in the back are all speaking spanish.. Can't help but think to myself "Am I going to get E-Coli poisoning from eating this?"
I was actually suprised at the number of illegals in Napa. I probably saw 50 day laborers outside the Home Depot last time I was there.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM

804 posts, read 1,362,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Come visit my neighborhood in Dallas sometime. Do you know how to say "number 6" in Spanish? You will need that. You will also need to learn how to say "This is change for a $10, I gave you a $20" and "I asked for no cheese on this", etc.
I have been to Dallas multiple times, my gf is from Arlington, and never had problems getting food, even in the Asian areas. (My first language is Spanish ) I do not know what your neighbourhood is, but I have been around Dallas quite a bit.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times
Quote:
I have been to Dallas multiple times, my gf is from Arlington, and never had problems getting food, even in the Asian areas. (My first language is Spanish ) I do not know what your neighbourhood is, but I have been around Dallas quite a bit.
Obviously you have never been to my neighborhood.

I do not have any trouble with Asian immigrants here. It's the ones from Spanish-speaking countries who seem to think they do not have to learn our language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration