Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 PM

807 posts, read 1,304,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
What about importing of goods manufactured in another country? are you opposed to that as well? Since it is as well detrimental to the U.S. economy, by taking manufacturing jobs away and shipping profits ou of the country.
Trade should be more balanced and more even.. There is a HUGE trade deficit currently in the U.S. with nations like China, Indonesia, and India gobbling up manufacturing jobs.. There needs to be a balance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 02:41 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,688,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Good article.

I am having work done on my house as we speak. My American contractor is only using American labor.
glad to hear there are still some out there! And people willing to use them.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM

804 posts, read 1,362,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Trade should be more balanced and more even.. There is a HUGE trade deficit currently in the U.S. with nations like China, Indonesia, and India gobbling up manufacturing jobs.. There needs to be a balance..
I agree with you trade should be balanced, and tipped in our favour. But I do not think that letting go off our cheap labour is the way to go. I we let them go, we are also letting go of the goods that they produce, further deepening our trade deficit. I think the proper way to balance imports/exports is to produce what most of these nations cannot produce, innovation, and research ( Since in most developing nations the costs that go into doing research are prohibitively expensive) while trying to retain as many products/services in house.

And also by removing welfare to illegal aliens. If they come here, they come to work.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,688,505 times
My son would like a job, he will take minimum wage. And appreciate it.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
I agree with you trade should be balanced, and tipped in our favour. But I do not think that letting go off our cheap labour is the way to go. I we let them go, we are also letting go of the goods that they produce, further deepening our trade deficit. I think the proper way to balance imports/exports is to produce what most of these nations cannot produce, innovation, and research ( Since in most developing nations the costs that go into doing research are prohibitively expensive) while trying to retain as many products/services in house.

And also by removing welfare to illegal aliens. If they come here, they come to work.
Cleap labor? Mechanization of both agriculture as well as industry has rendered many unskilled US citizen folks' jobs redundant---------we certainly do not need illegal aliens further dragging down wages.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,546,824 times
Quote:
So then, how can the teens cannot find jobs to support their spending habits? You say low balling illegal scabs are taking them. So an IA who has a family to support can afford to take a lower wage than a teen, who wants disposable income? Are they not willing to take minimum wage for un-skilled labor? Since most IA's do get paid above minimum wage.

In the article the same person said that they were not able to fill their positions. They had 171 positions and only 39 applicants. Where are all those teens that you speak of? Or those Americans that are willing to do the back breaking jobs?

Also, teens should be at school not working anyways. Working at a McDonald's for minimum wage is no place for a teen, unless they are on vacations or school is out.
Nice job of cherry picking your data to have it portray what you wanted it to. Or perhap-s you just missed this: The very next quarter, in the final three months of 2008, 887 Americans applied for the 981 H-2A available. And as unemployment jumped at the beginning of 2009, so did applications from Americans; 1,799 applied for 726 jobs.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,375,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nice job of cherry picking your data to have it portray what you wanted it to. Or perhap-s you just missed this: The very next quarter, in the final three months of 2008, 887 Americans applied for the 981 H-2A available. And as unemployment jumped at the beginning of 2009, so did applications from Americans; 1,799 applied for 726 jobs.
I pointed that out to him as well. He failed to respond.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
Quote:

I have been shouting sky high tariffs for years. That would certainly put American workers on a level playing field. It would put America back to work, for sure. What We don't need is the exploited labor.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 PM

804 posts, read 1,362,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I pointed that out to him as well. He failed to respond.
I do not tend to respond to posts that would have me repeat myself. Those are the numbers when unemployment jumped high, and the economy went down. Those are numbers in extraordinary circumstances.

My point was when there is no food of course people will do whatever it takes to eat, but once their belly is full, and their food/shelter ensured. Like it is when things return to normal and their jobs come back, we will go back to the numbers that were before, where they could not fill those positions.

Or do you think that this economic crisis, and high unemployment rate is going to last forever?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,375,474 times
Quote:
I do not tend to respond to posts that would have me repeat myself. Those are the numbers when unemployment jumped high, and the economy went down. Those are numbers in extraordinary circumstances.

My point was when there is no food of course people will do whatever it takes to eat, but once their belly is full, and their food/shelter ensured. Like it is when things return to normal and their jobs come back, we will go back to the numbers that were before, where they could not fill those positions.

Or do you think that this economic crisis, and high unemployment rate is going to last forever?
It proves that Americans WILL do those jobs. No more BS that illegals only do jobs Americans won't do, that is proven to be false over and over. As I previously stated, if these jobs pay a decent wage after the economy recovers, Americans will continiue to hold those jobs. If green cards are issues for the positions that cannot be filled, that's one thing, but they should NEVER be filled by illegals, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration