Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 AM

807 posts, read 1,304,706 times

Advertisements

Too many jobs going to illegal immigrants Opinion Articles - Jay Ambrose | Editorials on Top News Stories | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/JayAmbrose/Too-many-jobs-going-to-illegal-immigrants-41410422.html - broken link)

An Old Opinion piece from March, but definitely worth revisiting..

Quote:
A janitor’s job opened up at an elementary school in Ohio, and within a week there were 839 applications. If that doesn’t tell our policy makers anything about a way to address the nation’s unemployment problems, I’ll help them out.
Hundreds of thousands of people are desperate for work at the moment. Many will do almost anything honest. Though this job paid $15 an hour, they’ll work for less than that if they have to.
Quote:
Please, please, skip the argument that American citizens won’t do the work – they already constitute the vast majority of workers in virtually every field employing illegals – and cut out the blather that enforcement of our immigration laws would be either impossible or cruel or that only a bigot would worry more about the welfare of citizens than taking care of residents breaking the law.
It is Spot on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,855,340 times
Quote:
A janitor’s job opened up at an elementary school in Ohio, and within a week there were 839 applications. If that doesn’t tell our policy makers anything about a way to address the nation’s unemployment problems, I’ll help them out.
Hundreds of thousands of people are desperate for work at the moment. Many will do almost anything honest. Though this job paid $15 an hour, they’ll work for less than that if they have to.

And I'd like an explanation from Obama or someone from the pro-amnesty or pro-illegal crowd to explain why we need another amnesty.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM

291 posts, read 414,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post

And I'd like an explanation from Obama or someone from the pro-amnesty or pro-illegal crowd to explain why we need another amnesty.
So right me too, so when will the gov state the truth!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 PM

50,488 posts, read 47,254,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heamicdan View Post
gee this is funny i am a stone mason very good landscaper
i just applied for a janitors job here in ct!!!!!
i am getting killed by illegals right now we are doing a job in mass an hr20min away! they actually walk in after people and bid so low people can afford to deal with the **** quality--no basing/****ty cement.....
Find your Cities number for inspections and permits! You would know better than anyone if they are doing work that is unpermitted.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heamicdan View Post
gee this is funny i am a stone mason very good landscaper
i just applied for a janitors job here in ct!!!!!
i am getting killed by illegals right now we are doing a job in mass an hr20min away! they actually walk in after people and bid so low people can afford to deal with the **** quality--no basing/****ty cement.....

Welcome to my world for the last 20 years!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:33 AM

27 posts, read 39,488 times
i am from ct also . i may have to close up shop
i know what your goin through heam

Old 07-03-2009, 01:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,298,023 times
I live in a city where lots of white kids can't get jobs because they don't speak Spanish. Maybe a whole bunch of adults too.....who knows?

However, there are also jobs out there that no one else will do EXCEPT illegal aliens who are willing to work without any benefits and in most cases without even minimum wage. I'm not sure they are stealing jobs from ANYONE. They are working jobs no one else wants for a wage no one else is willing to work for. I don't know that I blame them for that.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I live in a city where lots of white kids can't get jobs because they don't speak Spanish. Maybe a whole bunch of adults too.....who knows?

However, there are also jobs out there that no one else will do EXCEPT illegal aliens who are willing to work without any benefits and in most cases without even minimum wage. I'm not sure they are stealing jobs from ANYONE. They are working jobs no one else wants for a wage no one else is willing to work for. I don't know that I blame them for that.
Remember that if said illegals were pitchd out of the USA employers would need to offer at least minimum wage or go out of business.

It is as simple as that.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,298,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember that if said illegals were pitchd out of the USA employers would need to offer at least minimum wage or go out of business.

It is as simple as that.
Most certainly. Isn't this exactly why the major car manufacturers are going under? If they were able to pay illegals $6 an hour to put a nut in a bolt...perhaps they would not be going bankrupt. Perhaps we wouldn't have to be bailing them out.

What if we have to bail out the corn industry who supplies 54% of the world's corn products just because they have to pay corn pickers $38 an hour on union wages?

I'm not saying what is right or wrong....I'm just saying it is what it is. How can we blame illegal cheap labor for our problems? They are the only ones not really CAUSING a problem because they are in no position to do so.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:28 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,687,645 times
They are causing the problem, because they are working for that wage, if no one was around to do it the people would have to get at least minimum wage. We just had an article where AMERICANS have been taking over the farm jobs!! We will do what we need to do to survive. I cant stand it when people underestimate us!!!!!!!!

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=118219 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration