Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times

Advertisements

Rasmussen poll just parrots conservative republican talking points. Most of their polls they conduct on policy issues have the majority of people supporting the republican/conservative point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Rasmussen poll just parrots conservative republican talking points. Most of their polls they conduct on policy issues have the majority of people supporting the republican/conservative point of view.
What do you dispute? The accuracy of the poll or that illegals are a strain on society?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What do you dispute? The accuracy of the poll or that illegals are a strain on society?
Perception is not a reality. Everyone is looking for someone to blame for their budget crises...so why not blame illegals?

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

I am just saying that they have a strong right wing tilt to their pollings.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Perception is not a reality. Everyone is looking for someone to blame for their budget crises...so why not blame illegals?

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

I am just saying that they have a strong right wing tilt to their pollings.
Agreed..... I will also say that most if not all polls are by design less than accurate. In other words they have an agenda and use polls to demonstrate their agenda.
I do believe that illegals are an additional burden on anyones budget. The amount of the burden is what is debatable.
Good post knight.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Agreed..... I will also say that most if not all polls are by design less than accurate. In other words they have an agenda and use polls to demonstrate their agenda.
I do believe that illegals are an additional burden on anyones budget. The amount of the burden is what is debatable.
Good post knight.
Even though we have different views on this subject, i do respect your arguments.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:48 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Tell me that you actually notice trends and historical data right? Either that or tell me that you'd rather have information as watered down and condensed into soundbits without any other bits of evidence.

It's been expressed on this VERY forum that "illegals caused this recession" or that "illegals will lead us to economic ruin"...this is called scapegoating. You picked a group (illegal immigrants) causing a certain event (economic recession or ruin).
I've also seen a large number of posts that Unions/Govt workers are behind the Countries financial woes. I see nothing wrong and everything right about dissecting every problem we are having now. This is the illegal immigration forum and the proper venue to discuss the problem. Discussing problems is hardly scapegoating.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've also seen a large number of posts that Unions/Govt workers are behind the Countries financial woes. I see nothing wrong and everything right about dissecting every problem we are having now. This is the illegal immigration forum and the proper venue to discuss the problem. Discussing problems is hardly scapegoating.
No discussing the problem is not scapegoating. You are correct. However, blaming and discussing are two different things. Discussing implies looking at all possible causes and solutions. Typically, people here place blame only. A lot of times one will write "illegal immigrants cause xyz", whereas that might not be the entire story or even the truth. Thus, scapegoating occurs.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:12 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
We'll have to agree to disagree. Blame is very much a part of any political discussion.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Also why the Mexican government is not very eager to have it's people sent back. They are a strain on society with their high drop out rates, high birthrates and government dependency.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. Blame is very much a part of any political discussion.
Not solely placing blame...this makes for bad political policy. Easy answers lead to ruin. Take the war on terror and the war on drugs as examples...simple soundbits and emphatic blame leads to bad policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration