Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Precisely why they need to be booted out of here rather than counted on a census. Then we will have a true picture of the "American" poor and legal immigrant numbers here.
So we will pay contractors for a bloated public works project that will be constructed by illegal immigrants anyways (border wall?). Then we spend the money on the oh-so-"legal" defense industry in order to militarize and "protect" the border. All of this so that the average illegal immigrant will not get a paycheck.

Not to mention that the OP was upset only the fact that there were Spanish census forms. Why is it in this forum? Well, by placing it here, it kind of reinforces a negative stereotype that Hispanics don't assimilate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So we will pay contractors for a bloated public works project that will be constructed by illegal immigrants anyways (border wall?). Then we spend the money on the oh-so-"legal" defense industry in order to militarize and "protect" the border. All of this so that the average illegal immigrant will not get a paycheck.

Not to mention that the OP was upset only the fact that there were Spanish census forms. Why is it in this forum? Well, by placing it here, it kind of reinforces a negative stereotype that Hispanics don't assimilate.
Whatever it takes for us to return to a nation of laws is worth the money. All we will have to do is to show our seriousness about demanding respect for the soverignty of our country for a change and it will come to a halt. How easily you forget that securing our borders is to deter terrorists from entering that way also.

Most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual so there is no need for a census in Spanish for them. The objection is because it is obvious that the Spanish forms are for illegal alien Spanish speakers. I don't think the census should be in any other language than English. Legal immigrants who lack English proficiency can get a relative or friend to interpret it to them.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM

All the money we spent on the Iraq war and we cannot afford to secure our own borders and deport illegal aliens? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!

Last edited by chicagonut; 10-04-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 AM

Whatever it takes for us to return to a nation of laws is worth the money. All we will have to do is to show our seriousness about demanding respect for the soverignty of our country for a change and it will come to a halt. How easily you forget that securing our borders is to deter terrorists from entering that way also.

So let's ruin the nation more? Whatever it takes...Let's spend tax dollars on projects that won't accomplish a dam thing. You have a twisted view of how respect is earned from nations. How easily you forget that terrorists came here LEGALLY. The whole terrorist entering via Mexico or Canada is a myth. What? So we just close the borders? Terrorism is not a valid point and is REALLY off topic...

Most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual so there is no need for a census in Spanish for them. The objection is because it is obvious that the Spanish forms are for illegal alien Spanish speakers. I don't think the census should be in any other language than English. Legal immigrants who lack English proficiency can get a relative or friend to interpret it to them.

Being bilingual myself, when I was younger and learning English, I needed things spoken in French. Also sometimes you can't get an interpreter RIGHT on the spot. And it's not obvious that they are for illegal immigrants. So why does California print forms in Mandarin? There is such a small ILLEGAL Chinese population here that is would be ridiculous only for that demographic. However, there is a LARGE Chinese population that are English learners. Clearly you have a very singular, small view of things...

Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
All the money we spent on the Iraq war and we cannot afford to secure our own borders and deport illegal aliens? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!

No. Since we would have to sustain the system. So it would cost A LOT over the long run with no payoff. People will still enter illegally.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:

So let's ruin the nation more? Whatever it takes...Let's spend tax dollars on projects that won't accomplish a dam thing. You have a twisted view of how respect is earned from nations. How easily you forget that terrorists came here LEGALLY. The whole terrorist entering via Mexico or Canada is a myth. What? So we just close the borders? Terrorism is not a valid point and is REALLY off topic...

Being bilingual myself, when I was younger and learning English, I needed things spoken in French. Also sometimes you can't get an interpreter RIGHT on the spot. And it's not obvious that they are for illegal immigrants. So why does California print forms in Mandarin? There is such a small ILLEGAL Chinese population here that is would be ridiculous only for that demographic. However, there is a LARGE Chinese population that are English learners. Clearly you have a very singular, small view of things...
Our nation will be ruined if we deport illegal aliens? Our nation will be ruined if we secure our borders? Where did I say anything about "closing" our borders? Securing them isn't closing them. FBI Director Robert Mueller has already stated that persons from known terrorist countries have slipped through our porous southern border and have disappeared into our country. Of course that isn't the only way a terrorist can enter but shouldn't we be vigilant everywhere in our country? If we want respect from other countries it sure won't be earned by being stupid enough not to secure our own borders.

Immigrants should come here with the understanding they we are not going to spend taxpayer dollars pandering to them in their native tongues.
California is a pc liberal state and guess what they are broke! What you call a "small view" of things I call putting Americans and America first and retaining what precious tax dollars we have to work with.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Our nation will be ruined if we deport illegal aliens? Our nation will be ruined if we secure our borders? Where did I say anything about "closing" our borders? Securing them isn't closing them. FBI Director Robert Mueller has already stated that persons from known terrorist countries have slipped through our porous southern border and have disappeared into our country. Of course that isn't the only way a terrorist can enter but shouldn't we be vigilant everywhere in our country? If we want respect from other countries it sure won't be earned by being stupid enough not to secure our own borders.

Immigrants should come here with the understanding they we are not going to spend taxpayer dollars pandering to them in their native tongues.
California is a pc liberal state and guess what they are broke! What you call a "small view" of things I call putting Americans and America first and retaining what precious tax dollars we have to work with.
Chi-mental, call down. First, off you clearly aren't putting Americans first. Many people are American that don't speak English. In many poorer communities that rely on meager funds to obtain a decent level of services, people may have trouble speaking English. Yet, services still need to be provided to the tax payers.

Being paranoid isn't going to solve problems. It will create them. Respect comes from NOT being paranoid and actually tackling large social issues. This is what we want from other nations. We applaud nations that have the ability to become prosperous and safe. Not paranoid and militaristic (the difference between South Korea and North Korea).

Immigrants should be TAUGHT how to speak English, yes. However, we should not expect them to know right off the bat. I promise you that Americans that move abroad WILL not know the native language right off the bat (except if it's an Anglophone nation).

So calm down, and realize that much of you say is simply a reaction via manipulation.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Chi-mental, call down. First, off you clearly aren't putting Americans first. Many people are American that don't speak English. In many poorer communities that rely on meager funds to obtain a decent level of services, people may have trouble speaking English. Yet, services still need to be provided to the tax payers.

Being paranoid isn't going to solve problems. It will create them. Respect comes from NOT being paranoid and actually tackling large social issues. This is what we want from other nations. We applaud nations that have the ability to become prosperous and safe. Not paranoid and militaristic (the difference between South Korea and North Korea).

Immigrants should be TAUGHT how to speak English, yes. However, we should not expect them to know right off the bat. I promise you that Americans that move abroad WILL not know the native language right off the bat (except if it's an Anglophone nation).

So calm down, and realize that much of you say is simply a reaction via manipulation.
No need for insults but it is always the tactic of the liberal left and especially the ethnocentric kind when they can't win an argument.

In order for an immigrant to become a citizen (an American) they have to know English so that blows your argument about me not caring about all Americans. We will just have to agree to disagree on pandering to immigrants in their native tongues. It is my belief that no immigrant should be able to come here without a reasonable understanding of English in the first place. How does an immigrant survive and get a job without knowing English? If they are here on sponsorship of relatives then the relatives would surely know English and can teach them themselves. The burden should be on the immigrant not us.

You're out of your mind if you think any country respects us for leaving our borders wide open and unprotected. We must be the laughing stock of the world with their knowledge that we have allowed 20-30 million illegals invade our country. I am sure would be terrorists are licking their chops and think the "infidels" are pretty stupid and in this case I would have to agree with them. I don't call securing our borders as being "paranoid". What leftist, open borders drivel.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 PM

[quote=chicagonut;11047608]No need for insults but it is always the tactic of the liberal left and especially the ethnocentric kind when they can't win an argument.

No insults, just a joke. But then again being irrationally mad is the "tactic of the right" correct? Politically moderate really, if you must know... Ethnocentrist? I'm part Irish, part German, part English. Can trace family back to the start of the Pennsylvania colony. Part of my family has been here A LONG time.

In order for an immigrant to become a citizen (an American) they have to know English so that blows your argument about me not caring about all Americans. We will just have to agree to disagree on pandering to immigrants in their native tongues. It is my belief that no immigrant should be able to come here without a reasonable understanding of English in the first place. How does an immigrant survive and get a job without knowing English? If they are here on sponsorship of relatives then the relatives would surely know English and can teach them themselves. The burden should be on the immigrant not us.

No, you don't have to know English. My mother didn't know English perfectly when she became a citizen. There are different stages of being an English learner you know? My ex also was learning English prior to entering into UCLA. Well, I guess we can agree to disagree that foresight and planning is actually a better plan. Planning for the future is better than subscribing to antiquated ideas and false superiority.

You're out of your mind if you think any country respects us for leaving our borders wide open and unprotected. We must be the laughing stock of the world with their knowledge that we have allowed 20-30 million illegals invade our country. I am sure would be terrorists are licking their chops and think the "infidels" are pretty stupid and in this case I would have to agree with them. I don't call securing our borders as being "paranoid". What leftist, open borders drivel.

You must be "nuts" (get it, your name) when you think that paranoia is great policy. Linking illegal immigration and terrorism is tenious at best. Terrorists want to fly under the radar. Assimilate, then later cause destruction. This is how it happened the first time. By most accounts the people that flew the planes were "normal". They were also here legally. So let's not invoke 9/11 in illegal immigration when ALL terrorist attacks in the nation were done by legal immigrants. So should we just not let anyone in? Of course not...that is paranoia. We need to think about how to retain our economic advantage in the world. The way we do this is by realizing helping the lowest demographic in the nation achieve parity.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
It makes no sense to collect bad data. While there are purest that want English only, in fact many speak Spanish. I think a multi lingual experience provides more tolerance for others, understanding and hopefully people better equipped to deal with th e world.

Having docs in the most effective format only makes sense in order to get the best read on the information. Hewy kudo's for the gov, they did something right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration