Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
That's funny since a recent report state that the average income for illegal immigrants was 45k a year. Illegal Immigrants in Md. and Va. Out-Earn U.S. Peers, Study Says - washingtonpost.com

The data was compiled from by CIS (known for a highly anti-immigration bias) using information from the census.
Recent?
Quote:
Thursday, November 29, 2007
That's when the article was posted.

And that study used census data, that is not checked for truth. How many people pad their income on surveys?

Quote:
The study used U.S. Census Bureau (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/U.S.+Census+Bureau?tid=informline - broken link) data from this year.
More quotes that you may have missed:

Quote:
but their incomes are substantially lower than those of native residents of those states,
Quote:
The average household income for illegal immigrants is $45,748 nationally.
Household ... how many people will be in a household of illegal immigrants? It doesn't say, "per family," or "per single-family household." If I had my kids working while they should be in school, our household would make a lot more as well. I had a friend named Ramiro who used to skip school to work. He was undocumented and lied to the employer about his age. They thought he was 19 and out of school, but he was 16 and just worked.

Quote:
The study also found higher rates in the use of public assistance by households headed by undocumented immigrants, who are ineligible for almost all benefits but whose children or spouses might qualify for food stamps, cash assistance or Medicaid (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Medicaid?tid=informline - broken link) if they are U.S.-born citizens or legal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,393 times
Recent? That's when the article was posted.

Yes that is considered recent. So less than 3 years and the stats are all of the sudden extremely wrong. Umm...you do realize that the income would not change significantly in a short amount of time.

And that study used census data, that is not checked for truth. How many people pad their income on surveys?

It's where most studies get their information from. It's pretty reliable actually.

Also the only thing I stated was the median income was 47k. That's still middle class. I don't know why you are pulling out other quotations that don't negate that fact. Unless you have a point to quoting, I'd probably refrain.

More quotes that you may have missed:

Household ... how many people will be in a household of illegal immigrants? It doesn't say, "per family," or "per single-family household." If I had my kids working while they should be in school, our household would make a lot more as well. I had a friend named Ramiro who used to skip school to work. He was undocumented and lied to the employer about his age. They thought he was 19 and out of school, but he was 16 and just worked.

The typical illegal immigrant household is about 4-6 people. So does that help?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 AM

335 posts, read 328,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post

Now mind you, the aforementioned people I was talking about (the ones "looking the other way") are not the extremist anti-illegal immigrant keyboard warriors that you find on anti-immigrant forums. You know, the ones who churn out post after post with little thumbs-up emoticons; the ones who claim that the government is on the verge of fanning out across the country to round up the millions of undocumented immigrants; the ones who claim that it will not even be that expensive. Those types of posters are usually xenophobic, deluded, and unrealistic.
I've been on anti-illegal immigrant forums but I've never been on an anti-immigrant forum.

Quote:

So..... not only am I of the opinion that it is unrealistic to entertain the idea of mass deportations, I would like for them stay anyway. I am friends with many undocumented immigrants, my profession affords and alows me to help them in a very important way (legally), they are the heart of many vibrant communities here in the northeast, they have breathed life and revitalized many forgotten and blighted neighborhoods, and I will continue the fight on this end, supporting and aiding the hard working undocumented immigrant families. And I get paid to do it. I love my job and I love this country.
So you have illegal alien lawbreakers as friends? Do you also have American lawbreakers as friends?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 AM

471 posts, read 587,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
That's funny since a recent report state that the average income for illegal immigrants was 45k a year. Illegal Immigrants in Md. and Va. Out-Earn U.S. Peers, Study Says - washingtonpost.com

The data was compiled from by CIS (known for a highly anti-immigration bias) using information from the census.
I would really call it funny. tragic, but not funny.

I used the median wages anyways. There are always accept ions to the rule, but don't try and act like illegals, by and large, are making a ton of money and would pour tax dollars into the system. That was my point.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
I would really call it funny. tragic, but not funny.

I used the median wages anyways. There are always accept ions to the rule, but don't try and act like illegals, by and large, are making a ton of money and would pour tax dollars into the system. That was my point.
I used the average. I would like to see info regarding distribution (how wide it is) to actually make any statements on the matter.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,111 times
It would be expensive to deport them, but if we don't it sends the massage that it's ok to cross the border illegally, and nothing will happen to you, thus encouraging more to come.

What about when the number grows to 30 or 40 million? We'll look back and say even though it was costly, we should have deorted the 12 miilion years ago when we had the chance. Just like now, we look back and say we should have immediately deported those who arrived after the 1986 amnesty, instead of waiting until it got out of hand.

At some point we're going to have to start seriously deporting illegal aliens. The longer we wait, the worse it will get. It's better to spend a few million now, than have to spend a few billion later.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,111 times
<<If we want to get out, it makes no sense in using our last resources to get rid of unwanted people.>>

If we don't spend the money on deporting illegal aliens, Congress will find a way to spend it on something else anyway. Probably pork. We might as well get something for our money.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
no more unrealistic than letting them come here and work (all 21 million).
what is in fact insane is putting someone in jail, a jail with no bars. im going to deport you? what does that mean?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
It is not realistic to speak of deporting them on a large scale because, first of all, it will never happen, at least not anytime soon. Also, anytime this country has gone through hard economic times anti-illegal-immigrant sentiment flows a little higher. Then when times get better that sentiment ebbs and people in general become more comfortable and start "looking the other way" again, thereby allowing the well-oiled gears of the American capitalist machine to start grinding again. And make no mistake about it: those wheels need cheap immigrant labor to grind the way they were designed to.

Now mind you, the aforementioned people I was talking about (the ones "looking the other way") are not the extremist anti-illegal immigrant keyboard warriors that you find on anti-immigrant forums. You know, the ones who churn out post after post with little thumbs-up emoticons; the ones who claim that the government is on the verge of fanning out across the country to round up the millions of undocumented immigrants; the ones who claim that it will not even be that expensive. Those types of posters are usually xenophobic, deluded, and unrealistic.

It is not realistic to entertain the idea of mass deportations because those who hold power in this country, those who are in control, do not want mass deportations to occur. They have engineered it so the busts that ICE and Border Patrol make do not even compare to the amount that pour in. The capitalist fat-cats who hold the strings make sure the flow goes the right way when it benefits them.

I am of the opinion that there are too many deluded anti-immigrant posters who refuse to entertain reality as it pertains to illegal immigration in this country. It is too bad that it is this way on here because this is a great and important topic that has the ability to spur truly interesting debate. The xenophobia and cleverly shrouded racism on this forum are just a little too thick for my tastes.

So..... not only am I of the opinion that it is unrealistic to entertain the idea of mass deportations, I would like for them stay anyway. I am friends with many undocumented immigrants, my profession affords and alows me to help them in a very important way (legally), they are the heart of many vibrant communities here in the northeast, they have breathed life and revitalized many forgotten and blighted neighborhoods, and I will continue the fight on this end, supporting and aiding the hard working undocumented immigrant families. And I get paid to do it. I love my job and I love this country.

Gracias
Another example of either enticing them here using them as slave like labor or aiding relatives too lazy to apply for citizenship. These are the people on the pro-criminal message boards claiming that somehow laws aren't being broken or that the laws being broken are cruel laws intended to inflict hardship on those poor immigrants just looking to better themselves. It doesn't matter to the pro-criminal crowd that we are being invaded by 1500 peasants a day cast off from some corrupt Country.
For the most part they see America as a big fat, bloated gringo loaded with cash and ripe for the picking.

For anyone that is paying taxes I just can't imagine why someone would be behind this behavior and attitude. I don't work to throw it at people just because they are here illegally.

Ike proved that by enforcing our current laws we can get Illegal Aliens to mass self-deport. Now would be a ripe time for another go at that.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM

183 posts, read 242,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no less realistic than letting 21 million since last amnesty come here and work -- omg and during a major recession???? shameless government law enforcement, shameless american employers. spineless union hating american labor.

completely agree.

I agree with the one poster as well. crack down on the employers, the landlords, make them learn our language not the other way around. However I dont beleive that would make them self deport. They would just find another whole in the wall to make a nest in and get more envolved in the drug trade. We have to make them pay taxes ALL of them!!! We have to stop giving them free things. No more food stamps and welfare unless you have proof you are working here. Something that people havent yet put a thumb on is the amounts of sickness weve been given since they infested our country. Anyone heard of pork worm? guess where it came from. Get trains or buses, fill them full with the illegals.. drive them to the border...drop their butts and come back. all your spending is gas money Id volunteer to drive them back myself for free...supply the gas. But all that would be pointless unless they do something to keep them from being able to come over the border...

I fully beleive getting rid of them might put us down a bit for a short period of time if at all... which I fail to see how were losing money in this. But we would be back up and running in no time and recovering like we should. The government dug us a big fat deep whole and instead of trying to pull us out they are shoveling s**t on.

Maybe if we got a butt load of volunteers- which I completely beleive a benefit such as this would raise alot- we could get rid of them ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration