Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM

313 posts, read 344,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I did not become defensive since you did not actually say it.

Also, you are the hypocrite here, not me. You are the one who said all blacks and all Italians sound alike.
Okay, now you're crossing the line. It's okay to say all Latinos sound a like, but when I point out there's a distinctive African-American accent, and I say there's a "stereotypical Italian accent"(see Jersey Shore and Guido craze, Scorcese movies, as well as my use of the word STEREOTYPICAL), you want to call me out on it?

You don't see your own hypocrisy here?

A bit of a double standard?

Eh, it's okay. Most of them are illegal anyway?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

In case you missed it the first time ArizonaBear:

You can't answer the question with a straight answer can you?

I repeat: Are you talking about just illegals, or the Hispanic people?
No baiting, a straight answer.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Okay, now you're crossing the line. It's okay to say all Latinos sound a like, but when I point out there's a distinctive African-American accent, and I say there's a "stereotypical Italian accent"(see Jersey Shore and Guido craze, Scorcese movies, as well as my use of the word STEREOTYPICAL), you want to call me out on it?

I never said all Latinos sound alike. I really wish you would actually read what I post instead of responding to what you think or wish I wrote.

You were the one who said blacks all sound alike.

You are also childishly baiting both AzBear and I by deliberately misrepresenting what we have said, so I am not going to play your little game anymore.

However, it has not been a total loss; we now know how you feel about blacks and Italians.

Have a pleasant evening.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I never said all Latinos sound alike. I really wish you would actually read what I post instead of responding to what you think or wish I wrote.

You were the one who said blacks all sound alike.

You are also childishly baiting both AzBear and I by deliberately misrepresenting what we have said, so I am not going to play your little game anymore.

However, it has not been a total loss; we now know how you feel about blacks and Italians.

Have a pleasant evening.
By saying there is an African-American vernacular, it becomes the more menacing "all backs sound alike"?

I think it's cute how you guys get all culturally sensitive for other races, yet can say all kinds of stuff about Latinos using the excuse that it's being said in the illegal immigration forum.

You chose to align yourself with Arizona Bear when I'm calling him out for things he does say. So in your defense of him, it's you that's really pulling out the race card. It's your camp's tactic of calling racist before you can be called racist yourself(not that I've called you racist).

Is there that deep of a connection between you and Arizona that you have to accuse me of racism on very thin grounds to save him?

He's no damsel in distress. INstead of protecting your side, you should see that he is really guilty of what you weakly, and selectively accuse me of.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:

And, what might that “distinctive accent” be? Is it possible to be black without the accent; or is it innate?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And, what might that “distinctive accent” be? Is it possible to be black without the accent; or is it innate?
Did I say that?

Tell me: is there no such thing as a specific African-American dialect?

And does me saying one exists really count as me saying it's innate? Or are you pulling the "race card" you guys claim to hate so much? Joining Geek in trying to make what I said much more sinister than what I really said in order to quiet my legitimate questioning of Arizona Bear's comments?

What part of what I said suggests that it isn't "possible to be black without the accent"?

Also, where's your indignation from where Arizona Bear suggested this about Americans of Mexican descent?
Oh yeah....the "black card trumps the brown card", right?
Believe me, Arizona Bear loves that.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Did I say that?

Tell me: is there no such thing as a specific African-American dialect?

And does me saying one exists really count as me saying it's innate? Or are you pulling the "race card" you guys claim to hate so much?

What part of what I said suggests that it isn't "possible to be black without the accent"?

Also, where's your indignation from where Arizona Bear suggested this about Americans of Mexican descent?
Oh yeah....the "black card trumps the brown card", right?
Believe me, Arizona Bear loves that.
You generalized, and I called you on it. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t play the “race card” game. And no, black doesn’t trump brown, or any other color. BTW, my skin is brown.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You generalized, and I called you on it. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t play the “race card” game. And no, black doesn’t trump brown, or any other color. BTW, my skin is brown.
Again, does an African-American dialect and vernacular not exist, and does my acknowledging it exists constitute a generalization, and/or imply that it might be "innate" and/or that all Black people speak it?

Once you get past that one, why is it okay for Arizona Bear to do this with Hispanics/Latinos/Mexicans/-Americans, without a peep from you?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Um that isn't a lie, at least around here. I know many US-born Latinos who speak with an accent that is peculiar to Latinos and Latinos alone. And many US-born Latino children start kindergarten or first grade unable to speak English. I know people of all races who are teachers and they say that is one of their biggest headaches. It is not true of all US-born Latinos but it is true of many of them, so how can it be a lie?
This was the same point Arprayso made yet with other ethnic groups. It's true that there is are distinct Italian American, Peurto Rican, Mexican, African American, whatever American accents...I don't understand why you guys are implying (s)he is racist by stating the obvious (that there are various accents in the United States.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Link stating US born Latinos are unable to speak English? Also, what kind of accent? New Englanders have an accent. Southern people have an accent. African-Americans have an accent. Italian-Americans have a stereotypical accent.

Waiting for a link.
Benicar, please read the posts before going on ridiculous tangents (which you are so good at doing). Notice the word "all" is not mentioned. This is EXACTLY the same point as Geek made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.