Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 PM

411 posts, read 468,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
Yes but the 45 million hispanics that remain should be here LEGALLY and therefore be able to speak and understand English...at least well enough that we will no longer need to:

* Press 2 for Spanish
* Waste money on printing government forms in Spanish
* No longer waste health insurance money on translators.

etcetera...etcetera...etcetera

And maybe I'll finally stop getting flyers and communications from my utility companies that are written in Spanish or I'll be able to finally tell that annoying person that keeps calling my cell phone that they have the wrong number and they'll understand me.
The reality is that the USA is a bilingual multi-cultural country, and these things you mention are not major issues at all....

Old 11-20-2009, 10:08 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
The reality is that the USA is a bilingual multi-cultural country, and these things you mention are not major issues at all....
No we are not a bi-lingual country. What are you smoking? We have one culture. "Out of many, one".

Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
This is probably the most delusional statement I've ever seen in this forum. Yeah, sure it would leave just about 45 million hispanics, (if every single undocumented magically dissapearead), ....
No, it wouldn't. It would probably be closer to 30 million legal hispanics.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, it wouldn't. It would probably be closer to 30 million legal hispanics.

It must be that you have different sources, but I still follow the US census
who actually counts the population, and counts over 45 million legal hispanic us residents....

Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
No we are not a bi-lingual country. What are you smoking? We have one culture. "Out of many, one".

US culture has evolved in the past couple of centuries with the target of some day becoming a "melting Pot", however that "dream" becomes less and less real as times goes by, the reality is that we live in a largely segregated society that "kind" of tolerates other cultures, there are for example an african american america, spanish-american america, right wing televangelist christian anglo america, liberal more-educated catholic anglo america, muslim america, asian america, etc. each one of them with their own identity, and way of life, all these groups tend to "mingle" in the work place and then separate, a couple of years ago, a well known baseball player reported about total segregation within the teams where the african american, spanish, and anglo players are separated for most activities, in the past couple of decades we've seen the phenomenon
of a big surge in the spanish-american population, typically keeping spanish at least as a second language, making the us to look a bit more like a european country where people tend to speak more than one language....

Old 11-21-2009, 05:27 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
who actually counts the population, and counts over 45 million legal hispanic us residents....
And many so-called 'Hispanics' do not speak Spanish-------especially those who have a non Hispanic parent of any actual race/ethnicity.

Besides: as more and more illegal aliens leave, I hear less and less Spanish spoken here in the Phx area.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
The census counts everyone and doesn't ask for legal status so how can you claim that there are 45 million legal hispanics?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
US culture has evolved in the past couple of centuries with the target of some day becoming a "melting Pot", however that "dream" becomes less and less real as times goes by, the reality is that we live in a largely segregated society that "kind" of tolerates other cultures, there are for example an african american america, spanish-american america, right wing televangelist christian anglo america, liberal more-educated catholic anglo america, muslim america, asian america, etc. each one of them with their own identity, and way of life, all these groups tend to "mingle" in the work place and then separate, a couple of years ago, a well known baseball player reported about total segregation within the teams where the african american, spanish, and anglo players are separated for most activities, in the past couple of decades we've seen the phenomenon
of a big surge in the spanish-american population, typically keeping spanish at least as a second language, making the us to look a bit more like a european country where people tend to speak more than one language....
No, we have always been a melting pot. It isn't a target for the future. Just because we tolerate other cultures doesn't mean we don't have a basic and identifying culture of our own. Just because some groups want to segregate themselves from mainstream still doesn't equate to us not having a basic culture. I don't give a crap what Europe does. We are an English speaking country always have been and we have gotten along just fine with that but Spanish speakers want to change that. They fool no one with their "Americans should learn another language BS". It is only Spanish they want us to learn. We weren't born yesterday.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 AM

51 posts, read 65,164 times
Quote:
No, we have always been a melting pot. It isn't a target for the future. Just because we tolerate other cultures doesn't mean we don't have a basic and identifying culture of our own. Just because some groups want to segregate themselves from mainstream still doesn't equate to us not having a basic culture. I don't give a crap what Europe does. We are an English speaking country always have been and we have gotten along just fine with that but Spanish speakers want to change that. They fool no one with their "Americans should learn another language BS". It is only Spanish they want us to learn. We weren't born yesterday.
I keep trying to figure out if their culture and countries are so great that we should adopt it, why do they keep fleeing them and invading the US by the millions? Why do the countries from which they hail perpetually remain 3rd world cesspools filled with poverty, crime and corruption?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:09 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
who actually counts the population, and counts over 45 million legal hispanic us residents
Then you must also realize the total Hispanic population includes illegal aliens. Actually, the phenomenal growth of the “Hispanic” population can be directly attributed to illegal aliens’ proclivity to irresponsibly procreate like rabbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration