Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Unless Latin King is pulling our collective legs here. Either he is an American or he may be a DREAMie.
You are right about this one. Every person that goes through the legalization process knows it takes 5 years to become a citizen. Every Latino knows that. His story does not add up. Only very uneducated Latinos stay illegal for that long, and he is obviously not one of them. His English sounds like someone who was born in the USA, many idioms and without the common ESOL mistakes.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
You are right about this one. Every person that goes through the legalization process knows it takes 5 years to become a citizen. Every Latino knows that. His story does not add up. Only very uneducated Latinos stay illegal for that long, and he is obviously not one of them. His English sounds like someone who was born in the USA, many idioms and without the common ESOL mistakes.
You noticed that as well I see.............

Although may people brought here below age 12 (legally or not) tend to speak correct American English by adulthood. I know that is usually true for folks from most nations; Hispanic or not.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
One of the problems we have with illegal immigrants in the U.S. is that many U.S. citizens cannot communicate with them, and therefore we misunderstand them. Too few U.S. citizens speak a second language. Other countries are FAR ahead of us in this area. Have you been to Europe lately? EVERYONE speaks two languages, sometimes three or more. Japan, Korea—heck, most of Asia—almost always speak a second language. Yet here in the good ole USA we generally speak only English—and often not well. I think we would better understand and appreciate the illegal aliens living among us if we could communicate with them.

To encourage more U.S. citizens to learn a second language we should have more than one official language. Like Canada with English/French. I suggest Spanish in addition to English for us here in America. Spanish is a logical choice since we already have so many Spanish speaking U.S. citizens. This would help to avoid falling behind the rest of the world in linguistic skills.

More importantly it would help assimilate the millions of Spanish speaking illegal immigrants now living in the U.S. I think they would be more likely to seek American citizenship if Spanish was the official second U.S. language.
1. The legal immigrants can assilimate to the country that they chose to move to, it's not the responsibility of citizens to assimilate to them.

2. I could care less about the illegals feeling more "welcome". Deport them all now. They are certainly not "welcome". I don't want them seeking citizenship, I want them deported and prevented from returning.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
1. The legal immigrants can assilimate to the country that they chose to move to, it's not the responsibility of citizens to assimilate to them.

2. I could care less about the illegals feeling more "welcome". Deport them all now. They are certainly not "welcome". I don't want them seeking citizenship, I want them deported and prevented from returning.
Do you speak Spanish? You might feel differently if you could converse with our Spanish speaking U.S. residents.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Do you speak Spanish? You might feel differently if you could converse with our Spanish speaking U.S. residents.
If here legally; said residents probably speak English so Spanish would be of no importance to me.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:01 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
Quote:

The legal immigrants need to (and usually do) learn the language of the land they moved to.

The illegals are not " U.S. residents"....they're illegal aliens.

Si, hablo un pocquito del espanol. But that's not the point..... just because I can speak some Spanish does not mean that gives the legals a pass on learning English or the illegals a right to be here. I learned some Spanish because I was visting Spanish speaking countries.....if I can learn Spanish just for visting other countries, others can certainly learn English for permanently residing here.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If here legally; said residents probably speak English so Spanish would be of no importance to me.
True that most legal immigrants probably speak English. But if more of us spoke Spanish we might better understand the illegal ones. I am not saying Spanish should be mandatory, or even our primary language. We could simply encourage people to learn by making it an official second language of the U.S. That's all.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
The legal immigrants need to (and usually do) learn the language of the land they moved to.

The illegals are not " U.S. residents"....they're illegal aliens.

Si, hablo un pocquito del espanol. But that's not the point..... just because I can speak some Spanish does not mean that gives the legals a pass on learning English or the illegals a right to be here. I learned some Spanish because I was visting Spanish speaking countries.....if I can learn Spanish just for visting other countries, others can certainly learn English for permanently residing here.
The point of this thread is to point out that many U.S. citizens cannot communicate with illegal immigrants, and therefore we misunderstand them. To encourage more U.S. citizens to learn a second language we should have more than one official language. Spanish would be a logical choice.

Having Spanish as a second official language would help prevent America from falling behind the rest of the world in linguistic skills. And it would help assimilate the millions of Spanish speaking illegal immigrants now living in the U.S.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
True that most legal immigrants probably speak English. But if more of us spoke Spanish we might better understand the illegal ones. I am not saying Spanish should be mandatory, or even our primary language. We could simply encourage people to learn by making it an official second language of the U.S. That's all.
One unifying factor of the USA is English only. Face it: if English became an official language in Mexico----------that would cause social unrest SoB since Anglo-Saxon culture is much stronger than Hispanic culture socioeconomically.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
The point of this thread is to point out that many U.S. citizens cannot communicate with illegal immigrants, and therefore we misunderstand them. To encourage more U.S. citizens to learn a second language we should have more than one official language. Spanish would be a logical choice.

Having Spanish as a second official language would help prevent America from falling behind the rest of the world in linguistic skills. And it would help assimilate the millions of Spanish speaking illegal immigrants now living in the U.S.
The heck with assimilating a bunch of illegal alien losers-------------they are common criminals and need to be pitched out of the USA using legal force if needed. I do not believe in kowtowing to inferior people AKA criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration